Lounge
 Aquarium or Terrarium?
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  14:30:14
I'm debating whether to make the dead Apple 21 inch Color monitor into an Aquarium for fish, or terrarium for a gecko or colony of scorpians.

I'm thinking that the terrarium would work very well, since it would allow me to have a deep bed that the scorps could burrow into, and it should be tall enough to put in climbing rocks and limbs for lizards.

I'm not sure I can keep the geckos and scorps in the same environment tho. But what says everyone? Water or no water?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

~~"We are all Mad here."~~

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  15:08:50
The terrarium sure would be easier. A 21 inch monitor case would take a lot of water to fill, thus making pretty heavy and even somewhat dangerous in case it topples.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 5
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  15:49:12
There was an easter-egg in one of the old MacOs's that showed a flag with a lizard on it flying high over Apple's Cupertino headquarters. In light of this, the terrarium idea is genius.

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  19:24:28
aquariums are so cliched. who even wants fish?? terrarium for sure.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  20:48:54
quote:

aquariums are so cliched. who even wants fish?? terrarium for sure.

hmmmmmmm.........

If a long coveted cultural icon seems within reach.....

In a form factor of such a scale that it has never been attempted before........

The feasability of the concept is astutely called into question in a forum such as this.........

Inhabited by certifiable mod maniacs such as these my comrades in arms......

High maintenance concerns are determined to the so well founded that.........

Lower maintenance alternatives actually start to sound like work.......

( i don't even wanna think about the smell of some terrariums!)

And even the status as the cultural icon is questioned as passe'...........

Theres only one option left, it boots on, sound the charge, out of the trenches and over the top comrades!

SHOOT FOR KITSCH,

Recipe for a nasty mod:

With assorted plexi and the solvent weld process...
fab an overly thin "display tank" MacAquarium core......
Water only weighs 8 lbs a gallonwhich is _?_ cu in, run the numbers.

Purchase 1 $20 chinzy, NO maintenance tank with assorted plastic fish (with articulated tails), seahorses, 2 really nasty looking plastic "plants", lights, air pump and assorted plastic crap included.

(just like the one next to me now)

Find a pile of assorted other plastic crap to pile into the airspace behind the thin cross section, by traditional engineering estimation process (WAG...ask the student engineer for help quick!),ie. looking at my 20" monitor and hefting my (pretty heavy, i'll change the water & measure *oops.. almost entirely no maintenance* the capacity if you want, there's no documentation at all on hardware for a change!) tank and visual impact of aquatic menagerie, I'd say 3-4" for tank, balance of depth to be backfilled with plastic crud assortment.

Accentuate the almost-but-not-quite-really-close-to-almost-downright-disgusting standard colaration of mock life-forms and available plastic or anything non-biodegradable-so-we'll-try-to-keep-it-out-of-the-landfill-type-stuff that is at hand, with fluorescent paint so that V. Van Gogh would have trouble not barfing when he got load of this thing....

and install black-light.

If it's been done before, let me know, and go with decapitated barbie dolls and defaced wintel equipment in a sort of Toy-Story-Armageddon-in-Seattle motif.

If it hasn't, do it right and Andy Inhatko will be jealous as ****. You better send the pics to MacAddict, the i*****s (Andy excepted of course) on the Mac***** editorial staff will never go for it.

jt

Or you could play with my head by telling me it's never been (in the case that it already has) and that its impossible and wait to see if I'm really idi.......

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  17:34:48
quote:

DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE !

NEVER OPEN THE CASE OF ANY VIDEO TUBE DEVICE,

UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING,

YOU MUST KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO HANDLE A CRT SAFELY.

It's entertaining (maybe not such a good idea in retrospect though) to make/read jokes about getting shock therapy or your brains fried by the 9" BW CRT on early 68k's. The fates OCCASIONALLY dole out doses of "guess it wasn't too smart for me to try that" response conditioning. DON'T COUNT ON IT, even on that long dormant (HASN'T BEEN RUN IN DECADES!)128k that you found in Grandpa's attic. It's NEVER a laughing matter when it comes to any other monitor, COLOR CRT's ARE REALLY DANGEROUS! Have an expert service a monitor that you think might be salvageable, have the same TECH gut the one that's DOA for your MacWhatever! I mean it, ask someone who really knows if you don't believe me, I sure wouldn't try it!

This Army doesn't want any KIA's (KILLED IN ACTION as in DEAD) on the tally sheets.

*sighs and hopes people know he's not kidding at all this time*

*shrugs, looks over at b**t ugly fish swimming in the chinzy tank to the hum of the air bubblingl*

*sighs, envies 'coxy for his restrained eloquence*

*shrugs again*

Ok, play time!

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Jan 2002 19:20:42Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  18:16:46
i was *just* about to say the very same thing.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  20:17:27
quote:

i was *just* about to say the very same thing.

It's playtime?

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  20:25:36
no worries comrades.

I've opened compact Macs many times (count them in the close to 2 Dozen range), includeing to remove CRTs, and switch Analog boards.

I'm well aware of how to SAFELY discharge a CRT, and have done it many times.

That said, I HAVE discharged the CRT of a Mac Plus across my chest before, and the Mac had been on less than half an hour previously.

I'm still alive, but only bcause the wire was a smaller guage than I should have been useing on my discharge tool, and thus acted as a resistor :-)

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  21:07:12
quote:

no worries comrades.

I've opened compact Macs many times (count them in the close to 2 Dozen range), includeing to remove CRTs, and switch Analog boards.

Not worried about you, figured you'd been around the block a time or two, marchie.

There are impressionable/impulsive prospects for recruitment & active duty out there. Gotta make sure they live long enough to liberate a few 68k's, things quite a few of us take for granted.....
SHOULDN'T BE!

live long and prosper, marchie!

new recruits,
LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE PEOPLE!

You came to the right place for training,

*grins a little*

play time!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  06:46:12
quote:

That said, I HAVE discharged the CRT of a Mac Plus across my chest before, and the Mac had been on less than half an hour previously.

I'm still alive, but only bcause the wire was a smaller guage than I should have been useing on my discharge tool, and thus acted as a resistor :-)

*comes back.....puts serious facde back on for reiteration.......*

That's exactly what I was talking about, please elaborate on your first hand experience of a "guess it wasn't too smart for me to do that" response lesson. I'd like to hear it, the Boots NEED to hear it, lessons that I have .......

people make very good conductors...........
and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY BAD CAPACITORS!
thin wires make cool, but customarily SHORT LIVED filaments.......
filament lifetimes correspond to current, resistance, thickness.........
they burn & die, like people trying to be capacitors, or filaments under just the WRONG conditions for that matter!
but wires don't smell nearly as bad when cooked!

I'll assume that you know the 21' color job is WAY MORE DANGEROUS THAN THE 9" BW TUBE, don't make an @#..............

one of which would definitely be very well DONE! (read DEAD, boots )

trainees, listen up and learn, I'm gonna!

jt

btw: I do graphics, 3d signs & displays and have been known to dabble in the fine arts, sculpture included. Don't dismiss the nasty tank as not being well thought out, and it's been very well previewed (wetware attatched here is low system memory unit w/KA10/FA graphics subsystems). Design is a matter of taste though, those circuits gat fried somewhere along the line, so the project might well thought out, but ill-conceived.

****maniacal grin appears as he swerves back on topic****

*and anticipates a really good war story/lesson*

jt 8-}

*scrolls up to check for spelling errors, looks like a lot of work...*

*looks again....sighs.....so much for restrained eloquence*

*resolves to "endeavor to perservere"*

;-)

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  07:32:46
a tutorial on how to discharge the CRTs on compact macs would be fantastic for the website. Marchie, would you be interested in writing this? (as I am not experienced in the compact-mac-cracking art)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  07:55:33
quote:

a tutorial on how to discharge the CRTs on compact macs would be fantastic for the website.

What FW said, but an expert's choice of links to, and considered opinions of, tutorials and articles on other sites might be easier, having access to several explanations (pics too maybe) might be more informative (survival account from personal experience would be invaluable).

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Jan 2002 07:56:54Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  10:50:21
yes. perhaps a page with a tutorial written by a 68k mla soldier and then a bunch of discharging-related links

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  11:07:30
Please, someone do this! I have a whole pile of compact Macs that I need to get inside and do repairs/upgrading/parts-swapping with, but even after having read Apple's official procedure for discharging a CRT, I'm still scared out of my wits to do it... I'm too young to die!

One other thing with regard to that: I seem to recall hearing that, even after the CRT is discharged properly, there are still parts that carry high charges. If so, where are they, and will this info be included in the tutorial?

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  12:49:59
quote:

Please, someone do this! I have a whole pile of compact Macs that I need to get inside and do repairs/upgrading/parts-swapping with, but even after having read Apple's official procedure for discharging a CRT, I'm still scared out of my wits to do it... I'm too young to die!

Search: andy inhatko macaquarium etc. for his howto.....
or look for a link @ macworld's site to his site......
explore links wherever they lead......

report back for mission debriefing:

post the links that you find most helpful
explain why you chose the links that you posted
the guys who take this stuff for granted can fact check your picks
and they report in with their opinions
and suggestions
yadda....yadda......

it's a start.

jt

btw: military organizations strive for coordinated efforts from all levels or.....

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Jan 2002 12:59:06Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  06:21:33
quote:

*sighs, envies 'coxy for his restrained eloquence*

Wow! The third time! This means that I must be famous, a legend among the corps!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  06:44:05
quote:

Wow! The third time! This means that I must be famous, a legend among the corps!

excessively long post endangering status.............

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 06:46:18

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 06:52:33

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 06:53:54

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 06:55:32

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 06:55:59

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 06:56:41

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 06:57:11

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 06:57:47

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 06:58:11

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 07:04:19

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 07:05:59Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  14:13:30
quote:

no worries comrades......

*slinks from disheartening experience in concurrent thread, hoping lively discussion of artistic sensibilities will revive his.....*

HEY, WHAT HAPPENED OVER HEAR? WHO KILLED OFF THE THREAD, WHY AREN'T WE
BACK ON TOPIC BY NOW! *sighs........*

I only said to go crazy carefully........
I wouldn't wish sanity on my plastic fish!

COME BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!

jt :-(

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  12:26:40
HOW TO DISCHARGE A CRT SAFELY

(Or at least as safely as possible)

By Marchie

Ok, Pay attention, it's not hard. I will also be outlining my PERSONAL mistake, that resulted in me dischargeing it across my chest.

SUPPLIES:
~ Metal shank, flat screwdriver (not TOO big), rather long. MUST have heavy plastic or wood handle with NO metal screws or pocket holders.

~ A GROUNDED electric outlet (or a ground rod, pounded into the ground)

~ 4 feet (or as much to get from your outlet to your screwdriver) of 12 guage wire (minimum 12 guage... 10 would be fine to)

~ Alegator clip big enough to fit on one end of the wire

~ banana plug that fits in the ground plug of the aformentioned outlet.

BUILD IT:

1) strip the wire on each end.

2) attatch the aligator clip to one end of the wire, and crimp (solder if you want)

3) Attatch the banana plug to the other end of the wire, again, solder if you desire.

4) plug the plug end of the wire into the GROUNDED outlet.

5) clip the aligator clip to the screwdriver.

HOW TO USE IT:

1) check your outlet. here's where you have to know aabout the electrical system wherever you are doing this. If you have a 3 prong outlet, it can be wired in one of 3 ways:

A) the ground plug is not connected to ANYTHING
B) the ground plug is wired to the negative (cold) wire of the outlet
c) the ground plug is wired to an actual ground.

If your plug is of types A or B STOP NOW. you'll only hurt yourself, hurt the computer, and possibly start a fire.

2) if you have are TRULY grounded, then hook your CRT Discharge tool into the ground plug.

3) Look at the back of the CRT itself. See the Suction cup? under that suction cup are a couple of bare wires/prongs. Touching these will discharge the electricity from the CRt, up the discharge tool, and to Ground.

4) PUT THE HAND YOU ARE NOT USEING InTO YOUR BACK POCKET!

5) CAREFULLY, slip the screwdriver tip under the edge of the suction cup.

6) slide the screw driver in, until you touch the prongs. You will see a little spark, and maybe hear a litle pop or click (depending on what CRT it is, and how much of a charge there is)

7) remove the tool, and put it down

8) you are done.

I'll finish this later.. gotta go to work.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  12:47:36
quote:

HOW TO DISCHARGE A CRT SAFELY

(Or at least as safely as possible)

BRAVO! Love the disclaimer! LOL The last line kills me every time you post, but it's particularly appropriate in this context!
jt

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  12:55:32
CONTINUED FROM ABOVE:

That's all you REALLY need to know to discharge a CRT, but there are some OTHER peices of information that are essential to keep you and your Mac safe. Here they are, in easily digestable chunks:

• Just because the CRT has been discharged, don't think that it, and the rest of the inside of your Compact Mac can't kill you, or be killed by you. It isn't so. ("Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't" -Tweedledee)

• Part of what makes a CRT work, is that inside, is a vacuum. A Rather powerful one too. If you bump it too hard (especially the "neck", or long back end) you can crack the glass, and the entire thing will implode, and spray lead, glass, phosphorus and mercury ALL over the place. Be careful moving around in there, especially when: ~swapping out drives; and ~unplugging that damn powercable to the mother board that just REFUSES to come off unless you haul on it.

• If you must remove the little circuit board on the back of the CRT, be gentle, and wiggle back and forth. Be patient.

• The Analog board (the verticle board that has the power supply and video hardware on it) has capacitors on it that still hold a charge, that you CAN'T discharge. Touching them wrong could send some shocks into you, which probably wouldn;t kill you, but may not feel very good. Handle it gently, by the board itself.

• Get Larry Pina's book "Mac Plus and SE Troubleshooting and Repair". It will teach you the proper ways to handle some of this stuff.

Again, I'll finish later. Work time again.,,

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  18:28:34
Thank you very kindly, padre, for your most excellent sermon on the dangers of careless CRT handling.

I would like to suggest that, once completed, these guidelines be archived on the Web site for future reference.

GORDOOM
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  16:07:42
I'm planning on it, it's just going to be a few weeks.

I'm going to post it in a more refined fasion, with pictures on how to do it.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  05:15:18
Good job. More people actually doing content is what we need. I'm finishing up some web pages, but you probably won't see me on the net for a while now...

benightedbastard

Australia
62 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  06:20:40
I've heard that scorpions die madly and horribly, stinging themselves to death if you put alcohol on them.
I've also heard that a scorpion is immune to its own venom.
Anyone wanna clear these up for me?

------------------
Please return stewardess to original upright position...Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  07:35:49
I was taught to put a resistor inline to the ground to keep the CRT from discharging too fast and melting the end of the screwdriver, but this was in refernece to much larger CRTs in TVs and may not be much of an issue for compact Macs . Most modern monitors have a discharge resistor built in to discharge the CRT everytime it is turned off but since there is no way to know if the CRT has one of these resistors built in, you still have to discharge them. Some of the Apple manuals mention an offical Apple discharge tool that has a resistor built into it, but I have never actually seen one of these for sale.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  08:36:00
quote:

I was taught to put a resistor inline to the ground to keep the CRT from discharging too fast and melting the end of the screwdriver, but this was in refernece to much larger CRTs in TVs and may not be much of an issue for compact Macs .

That's the same I'd heard - but also to stop whatever you're using to do the discharge from arcing to the contact under the cap, and welding its little self there :D.

What I'd like to see is a tank/terrarium that uses the original glass from the front of the crt, adapted as the front of the tank. I know this would take quite a lot of work - perhaps breaking the neck of the tube, and having someone experienced with glasswork do the cutting/polishing needed. It may not even be possible.

(yes, crt's are under vacuum and I know they have the phosphor coating - but it does come off :D. when I was little I broke dozens of them for fun cos my father was insane and often brought home broken televisions to 'fix'. he'd always throw them out - but anyway... while the neck breaks so easily, the front takes a lot of work. a lot of LOT of work. Like, hammers just send them flying across the ground with a chip out of them kind of work! :D.

I have a pet mouse who's getting bored of his surroundings, and a Plus with a dead screen here...

dana

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  09:15:27
quote:

ISome of the Apple manuals mention an offical Apple discharge tool that has a resistor built into it, but I have never actually seen one of these for sale.

IIRC, that discharge tool was for the original Mac and the Fat Mac. The official documents say that you're supposed to ground the tool to the ground lug on the case, but it's very easy to ground it to the chassis by accident. One problem: the motherboard is grounded to the chassis, so if you discharge to the chassis, the motherboard is toast. The resistor is there so that, even if you do discharge to the chassis, there's less of a discharge across the motherboard and so it will be undamaged.

The problem with this tool is that it didn't discharge the CRT completely all the time; it was advised to follow it up with the old screwdriver-and-alligator-lead tool. The newer discharge tools made by Apple starting with (I think) the Plus and still made now have no resistor.

(Of course, people, correct me if I'm wrong...)

GORDOOM
(as of January 7, 2002)

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  10:04:32
quote:

What I'd like to see is a tank/terrarium that uses the original glass from the front of the crt, adapted as the front of the tank. I know this would take quite a lot of work - perhaps breaking the neck of the tube, and having someone experienced with glasswork do the cutting/polishing needed. It may not even be possible.

(yes, crt's are under vacuum and I know they have the phosphor coating - but it does come off :D. when I was little I broke dozens of them for fun cos my father was insane......hammers just send them flying across the ground with a chip out of them kind of work! :D

Didn't you mention the bottle cutting tool (as seen on TV)? Try making a jig by cutting a well out of the proper thickness of plywood and use a standard glasscutter to scribe around the edge of the crt.

My dad does leaded glass and some of the techniques/tools I've seen him employ might be useful. If you can't use the glass from the original 9" because of the tight curves, you could start with a larger Apple Monitor and scribe/chip the waste away with (special?) pliers. Dad's also got a cute little diamond blade powersaw for cutting shapes.

When I was little, I was insane and, at the dump with my buddies, used many .22 long rifle cartridges to ventilate crt's from various distances. Maybe this insanity thing skips every other generation, dad's ok, but he and my son both think I'm still insane.

jt

p.s. all the discharging instruction/tool specs I recall included the resistor trick and discharging into the chassis of the Mac. I'll try to find some links a/o paper doc references for you, Marchie. Maybe a good bibliography will provide additional content for your manual.

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  11:04:18
quote:

Didn't you mention the bottle cutting tool (as seen on TV)? Try making a jig by cutting a well out of the proper thickness of plywood and use a standard glasscutter to scribe around the edge of the crt.

I thought of that - but with the face of the monitor and the glass in that area being so incredibly thick, I wasn't sure it would be a good way to go about it. Some of the b&w television tubes I've seen had nearly 2 inch thick glass around the tube front!

quote:

When I was little, I was insane

You too huh? :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  11:47:24
quote:

I thought of that - but with the face of the monitor and the glass in that area being so incredibly thick, I wasn't sure it would be a good way to go about it. Some of the b&w television tubes I've seen had nearly 2 inch thick glass around the tube front!
quote:

When I was little, I was insane

You too huh? :D

Danm betcha! it's not all that exclusive a club, as I've discovered, but I've also noticed degree......

I'll bet inverse squares/what not apply proportionally to crt glazing as well as trusses, the little ones may be a lot thinner than you're imagining. Maybe cut an inside jig from the waste, scribe the inside in addition to the outside, THEN use your hammer on it (full faceshield, gloves, etc.), it's landfill already. If you know a glassblower, a handcraftsy motif might be nice, or fake something up with a convex found object and sandblast or etch the menubar burn-in onto the inside. Being a lunatic signcrafter, you've got me thinking of gilding a burn-in effect. An unrelated inspiration for the original crt just hit me, a ship in a bottle floating in (lobsterman hooking a floatline on a trap at the sandy/rocky bottom, maybe?) water with a seascape painted on the backside of the glass (painting in reverse on glass is a trip in and of itself).....

maybe I'm still just a little insane,
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  12:16:58
quote:

Maybe cut an inside jig from the waste, scribe the inside in addition to the outside, THEN use your hammer on it (full faceshield, gloves, etc.), it's landfill already.

or perhaps heat... run around the edge with a gas torch then kaching... cold water... or something.

quote:

...etch the menubar burn-in onto the inside.

Car stores sell glass etching kits, with precut stickers to place over glass, and some form of glass-corrosive goop to pile on top for a while. I'm sure getting vinyl laser-cut to be a whole desktop (perhaps just the menubar/pointer/drive/trash) would be possible too...

it's all virtual =D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  12:40:50
quote:

I have a pet mouse who's getting bored of his surroundings, and a Plus with a dead screen here...

ok, i've officially lost it again!
How about fabbing a custom plexi terrarium/fishtank around a custom plexi shipwreck/submarine or wrecked airliner/ufo mac case. If you did it really big just do a partial tank in bas-relief and the electronics will be serviceable from back and bottom panels that fake the look of a huge (really heavy) tank. clear plexi tubes and passageways for aquatic/terrestrial life forms could run inside and thru the drive arrays etc. sandy/rocky bottom and paint detailing would hide the fact that it's not a full tank. Fake up ar actually implement water cooling with "standard" PC overclocking hardware. With a catch tub built into the base and GFCI protection the risks could be eliminated and if the seals give out drain the tub and fall back on the terrarium as long as you've kept the motif adaptable.
=8-}
jt
p.s. If you guys think this project is insane, it'll be PERFECT for MaximumPC!

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  12:58:31
quote:

quote:

Maybe cut an inside jig from the waste, scribe the inside in addition to the outside, THEN use your hammer on it (full faceshield, gloves, etc.), it's landfill already.

or perhaps heat... run around the edge with a gas torch then kaching... cold water... or something.

quote:

...etch the menubar burn-in onto the inside.

I'm sure getting vinyl laser-cut to be a whole desktop (perhaps just the menubar/pointer/drive/trash) would be possible too...

it's all virtual =D

If you've got a plan to go real world with the project, email me an eps outlines sample. I'll try to cut any vinyl you want on my plotters (gratis). If the type isn't TOO small apply the whole thing to the glass and then weed the waste out of the design. You'd want to use the windows and bar as masking and weed out the fine lines defining them. Send me sample and I'll troubleshoot production/design limits before you do any serious conceptual work.

Virtual projects are fun, but playing with non-digital tools is funner, IMHO. Drills, blades, chisels, hammers, etc. saws have such a viscer....
=8-}
jt

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  21:48:38
couple things:

someone mentioned the resistor inline from the screwdriver to the ground point. when I asked the TV repairs guys about it, they said that it helps make sure you don't blow fuses, but has no effect on the discharge process otherwise.

Second, There's the debate on whether to discharge to the ground lug, or some other point. ONLY discharge to the ground lug, if the Mac is PLUGGED IN to a grounded outlet.

On any macs with "Soft Power" (any Macs that you can turn on with the keyboard button) you never do ANY work in them with the power cord plugged in. There's always power running thru them enough that you could cuase problems.

~Chaplain Marchie

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  17:14:32
quote:

I'm debating whether to make the dead Apple 21 inch Color monitor into an Aquarium for fish, or terrarium for a gecko or colony of scorpians.

The crt-safety-howto's progressing very nicely, hows the planning for the hack going? Found a great link for you if you haven't seen it yet. Otherwise, some of the recruits might be of the Maquatic persuasion.

This one is right up your alley, a plexi bending kit (heating element/wire) would be LOTS safer & easier, btw
http://homepage.mac.com/torgo/Two-Page%20MacQuarium.html

The full museum page is excellent, but will probably take FOREVER to load on dialup, but click before mealtime and make sure you "open link in new window" for details:
http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/MacAquarium/

?????........* not sure who I am by now *
ciao!

if needed/wanted individual links to these Maquaria can be added.

Edited by - alcoa on 09 Feb 2002 17:25:04Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  05:30:39
quote:

On any macs with "Soft Power" (any Macs that you can turn on with the keyboard button) you never do ANY work in them with the power cord plugged in. There's always power running thru them enough that you could cuase problems.

Not iff the wall outlet is turned OFF, the only reason I leave the power plug in is so the case/PSU is grounded.

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  14:04:43
quote:
Not iff the wall outlet is turned OFF, the only reason I leave the power plug in is so the case/PSU is grounded.

I have a slight prob with this, I'll get to in a minute.

But others may need some clarification on this topic.

If you need to physically turn a switch on and off, you are useing what is termed Hard Power. When working in equipment like this, keep it plugged into a grounded outlet (a real one, not a Ground to Neutral, see distinctions in previous post)

If you are useing anything where you can start the computer fromt he keyboard, you are useing Soft Power and you Never Never Never Ever work inside them plugged into a wall. You should plug them into proper grounding equipment, like a ground mat that plugs into the ground of the outlet, but not the current carrying wires.

The reason I have issue with useing an outlet with a switch, is when you have a grounded to neutral outlet. The neutral wires run thru the switch, and you can;t be guaranteed that you are "safe" when the switch is turned off.

Now, with all that said...

My house is NOT grounded properly, and I use un grounded outlets with my computers, but never when repairing them. I have one grounded outlet in the kitchen I use.

Although soon, I'll be grounding my particular ciruit to a ground rod (the ground needs to not be frozen)

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  14:44:50
quote:

My house is NOT grounded properly, and I use un grounded outlets with my computers, but never when repairing them. I have one grounded outlet in the kitchen I use.

Although soon, I'll be grounding my particular ciruit to a ground rod (the ground needs to not be frozen)

Great advice, Marchie. MaximumPC has a very good troubleshooting tookit list in the current "heal your pc" issue. one of their recommendations is something that everybody should have:
http://www.testersandmeters.com/Product_Images/FullSize/5FS070.jpg
http://www.testersandmeters.com/tm/VoltageTesters.nsf
The rest of the recommendations are easily adaptable to yout mac field kit. I know this tester is a VERY useful tool from personal experience It's not expensive and is very easy to use. Having it will enable you to make sure everything in your home is safely wired.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 Feb 2002 14:45:53

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 Feb 2002 14:51:51Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  22:35:35
quote:

Edited by - alcoa on 09 Feb 2002 17:25:04

I guess I'll just have to reply to that Albanian imposter!
Direct links for the dial-up impaired:

Desktop on tank links:
http://homepage.mac.com/torgo/MacQuarium%20Plus.html
http://homepage.mac.com/torgo/MacQuarium%20Images/Two-Page%20MacQuarium%20Main.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/torgo/MacQuarium%20Images/MacQuarium%202.jpg

Terrarium:
http://terrarium.geekvoice.net/

jt_

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.