All Forums
 Lounge
 Need some (old) PC help (ISA Cards)
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  15:34:03
Allo all! Now I know this is PC, but it is strictly hardware, and semi old hardware at that, and most of us all are knowledgable folks.

So anyhow, I have a crap load of ISA cards that I know a little about, but not much. Googling keeps bringing up some info on them, so I am sure hat is no problem.

My big question is if there is an "ISA trading post," or really any place I can get rid of these besides ebay. From some initial research, 2 of these could fetch up to $300 retail, and I want to check some places to see what the current going price really is...

If anybody has some tips in either figuring out what these things are, or where to sell them, lemme know please!

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  16:07:08
Well, what do these cards do? Are they video, sound, ethernet, data acquistion cards, or something else? Just saying that their ISA doesn't tell us much, because ISA is an interface, like NuBus and PCI. Hope you find out what they are though!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  18:39:40
Ok, here is what i have found so far:

Two of the cards are 8-port RS422 cards. I did some pricing on these, and apparently they go for around $300 each retail (as mentioned beffore, but I now gots the names!)

There is a set of another three that each have 25-pin ribbon raveling between them. The third one is smaller than the other two, and has one VGA-ish/serial port on it. The two larger ones have two each. (total of five of those ports)

The next one is apparently some sort of I/O relay board, with the same 25-pin ribbon connectors (4 of them) and two ribbbons hooked up and running out of the case through a special hole.

Lastly is the mobo, but I obviously know what that is

Sorry about the confusion there ML5, I know ISA is a rather broad term, but it was all I had down for sure at that point in time.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  04:42:27
Interesting. Never h eard of anything like that.

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  11:36:21
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH! Where did you get those RS422 cards?!?!?

I wouldn't mind having a couple of those.

Anyway, the other cards with the 25-pin cables are going to probably be what are called IDE/IO cards. They were used before PCs had the IDE interface integrated into the motherboard. They also have serial ports and LPT (parallel communications printer) ports, hence the 25-pin cables.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III, FPU, 20/80/enet, 7.5.5, Mail Server

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 1G/512k L2, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  13:30:17
I have two of the RS422. I've seen RS232s that are 8port, and RS422s that are 4 port on websites taht ar listed there as around $200-$250, but really hav eno idea what this would be worth in "real" life. I haven't seen any go on ebay and so am clueless. I do not have the "dongles" or adpaters or whatnot taht go from the DB-125 (im assuming thats what the big port is called) to all the smaller DB-25(Again, i think thats what they are...). They are both listed as 8-port RS422 cards. I found the maker's website, but they require asking prices by email. I sent an email two days ago, still no reply. Then again, it is a german website...

The pre-IDE thing makes sense, but why does it say relay then? There are literally NO markings on any of these boards except the RS422 ones.

Lightning, you got any other insight or pricing for these puppies?

~The Penguin

P.S.- I got these from an old P1 server machine.

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  13:43:35
hey, how long are the cards, do the connectors have 1, or 2 sections to the connector? do they have an additional connector that looks like PCI at the end, on the Pre-IDE card, are there 2 connectors, one at 20pin and one at 30pin that are close together? if so, you have a ST-506/MFM/RLL/ESDI card on your hands, a really old one at that.

anyway,

a picture is worth a thousand words

CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  17:14:52
Pictures are coming as soon as I get the 6500 working, and then working with the Quicktake software.

I found a picture/link to the maker's page. The RS 422/232 cards have been foudn there, as well as the relay board. Here are the links:

-RS422/232:
http://www.decision-computer.de/com/seriell232-8ef(e).htm
(on the site it says its a 232 board, but on the board I have, it says 422/232)

-Relay Board:
http://www.decision-computer.de/dio/dioic(e).htm
(it is the first one)

Don't worry, I have my own pictures coming soon!

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

SneakyFungus
Starting Member

19 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  17:05:34
Try http://www.uncreativelabs.org/

Do you have an ATI Mach64 ISA?

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  18:43:00
Just the cables alone are expensive, similar to the braided SCSI cables in price because they are considered "server class" hardware. However, because the cards are ISA, they might not be worth too much these days, except maybe to business that are still using legacy hardware. I don't think they even make PCI versions of these anyway, because dumb terminals are going the way of the dinosoaur, although nothing beats a dumb terminal for remote 'NIX shell access.

I also agree with Clinton that those other cards could be RLL controllers. They could also be what I mentioned before. Some of the really old cards I've seen don't even have the IDE interfaces on them, just serial or parallel. Then there's the dedicated joystick controller - all of which are useless nowadays, by the way, since all useable computers after the 386 integrate all this into the motherboard. Either that or you'll want to use a card with both IDE and the serial/parallel on it. Those pics will clarify everything.Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  18:46:44
I just looked at the relay board. In case you were wondering what that was, it's used for industrial control which means, when translated, that it's for controlling anything from automated CNC or fly-cutting equipment to turning on and off your lights with the computer.Go to Top of Page
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  18:21:45
Well, I have been having a LOT of trouble getting pictures. First they were not being able to be read outside of photoflash, and then that wouldn't let me save, and etc. Just bad there.
Finally, I got the camera pictures up and running, then realised how horrible the quality is. You cannot read or tell a single thing about the board. My quicktake does not have the closeup lens, and so I have been experimenting all night....

On another note...
The three cards that are "attached" together via the 25 Pin internal cables, the two larger ones have Phillips processors on them, and the smaller one has a Cirrus proc on it. Am I correct In guessing these *could* then be video cards? The guy that I got this from said a touch screen came with it....but he didnt get it to work with this particular machine...

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

SneakyFungus
Starting Member

19 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  02:15:51
quote:

these days, except maybe to business that are still using legacy hardware. I don't think they even make PCI versions of these anyway, because dumb terminals are going the way of the dinosoaur, although nothing beats a dumb terminal for remote 'NIX shell access.

I also agree with Clinton that those other cards could be RLL controllers. They could also be what I mentioned before. Some of the really old cards I've seen don't even have the IDE interfaces on them, just serial or parallel. Then there's the dedicated joystick controller - all of which are useless nowadays, by the way, since all useable computers after the 386 integrate all this into the motherboard. Either that or you'll want to use a card with both IDE and the serial/parallel on it. Those pics will clarify everything.
[/quote]
Wrong & wrong....
Even earlier 486 motherboards do not have IDE and floppy onboard...
Perhaps later ones, such as those with VLB and PCI do...

That "useless" dedicated gameport card...
Recently I was setting up an NEC PC, a PowerMate 8100 or ES (or similar)... it has onboard USB & audio but no game port...
so that useless card came in handy...

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  03:24:58
woowwwww people actually use those silly PC game ports??? I can't really believe it...

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  07:32:05
quote:

woowwwww people actually use those silly PC game ports??? I can't really believe it...

Game port I/O hacks are AWESOME!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  17:59:13
quote:

Official 68k videographer

yeah. Not many do, though.

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  20:13:12
quote:

Yeah. That's where you plug in the joystick (does it give you joy?)

Then there's the 6-button gamepad with analog thumb joystick for Nintendo 64 emulators.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.