All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 68K's in the lab???
Author Topic  
bannonth
Starting Member

19 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  15:17:56
Hi all. New to Macs in general and have recently gotten ahold of alot of free PPC's and some 68k's (and am kicking myself for throwing out some of the "junk" now that I know what it was...).

I run a biotech lab specializing in protein production in microbial systems. The lab we moved into was perviously used by a computational/modeling group and we took over the computers they left behind. Nothing too great, but it saved us from having to buy a few PC's for equipment control and office work.

They also left behind a SGI O2 which I have been trying to use in conjuction with an old b&w ccd camera we had to capture images of protein and DNA gels (ok...just ignore that...I'm trying to take pictures...that makes it sound simpler). It seems like an interesting machine - anyone know anything about them? - but I can't get used to the IRIX interface, only a few of the UNIX computer guys can work on it and they don't like to, and the 20" monitor takes up too much bench space. Plus I have no software to edit the images once I've got them (and so far they haven't been good - though I think the camera is to blame)

So its being replaced by a PPC 8500AV that I have been playing with. Apple Video Player seems like a much easier way to take the pics and I've got Photoshop 3 on there to edit them before we print. Hopefully this will work out better.

Now (finally) onto the 68k question:

Does anyone know anything about software/hardware used to interface equipment, record data, do ANYTHING lab related??? We've got a Plus that I found buried in a cabinet and I'd love to make that do something - even just function as a thermometer! just to show that it can be done.

So if anybody knows anything hardware or software related let me know. I'm looking to do this cheaply, though I'll spend a few bucks for some entertainment and a new toy.

And if you are on this board and do scientific work drop me and email at bannonth@msu.edu!

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.