All Forums
 Lounge
 Most Abused Mac Sightings
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  09:25:57
Yesterday, I saw a most hideous sight. It was just outside the door of the MacShack (a used Mac shop near the university). They had gutted a graphite iMac case, turned it on its back and were using it as a trash can! The sight of that beautiful case all full of garbage and coated with grime made me nauseous.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial Symmetry

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  09:31:44
Ewww.

It's not really an abused Mac, but once when walking through the campus I saw an ADB Mouse II sitting on a pole. This was about 5 PM, it could've been there all day...
As I passed it, I grabbed it and put it in my coat pocket.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  13:11:10
quote:

Ewww.

It's not really an abused Mac, but once when walking through the campus I saw an ADB Mouse II sitting on a pole. This was about 5 PM, it could've been there all day...
As I passed it, I grabbed it and put it in my coat pocket.

lol, why don't i ever find stuff like that laying around?

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  13:51:11
Me niether although people mostly use pcs around here.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  16:31:41
I know people who just toss away old macs... and it seems to be like... FUN for them... that is the most torturous thing ever.... for me at least... :(

another torturous thing is when people have elderly macs that should be respected, sitting outside in the hot sun... sometimes it's OK... but usually not

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  21:43:17
How do you know that that iMac wasn't just one of those empty iMac cases that Apple gives to AASPs? Thats what it probably was.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  05:32:43
Once I bought a Quadra 800 from a flea market that appeared as if it had been dragged across the pavement, face down, for several miles. The curved part of the front was all worn down and had bits of black pavement tar burned into it. Still worked though.

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
Macs Liberated:22Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  06:17:45
quote:

How do you know that that iMac wasn't just one of those empty iMac cases that Apple gives to AASPs? Thats what it probably was.

Warrior maclover5

I sure hope that you are right as that would make the crime less heinous. However, I don't believe that the MacShack sells new Macs, so I doubt they are an AASP. Maybe I should pretend that you are right so I can remove the image from my mind of a poor iMac having its mobo and CRT ripped from it.

quote:

Once I bought a Quadra 800 from a flea market that appeared as if it had been dragged across the pavement, face down, for several miles. The curved part of the front was all worn down and had bits of black pavement tar burned into it. Still worked though.

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division

Now that was a truely inspiring liberation -- rescuing the wounded from the clutches of the enemy.

Cheers,

G4From128k

& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  06:39:27
are we considering GoodWill an enemy too? howwabout that RePC place whose "mac guy" I incessantly complain about? I think tha my Q840av (rexcued from that evil man) had to be a liberation... sadly it probably found it's wayback to him when i "recycled" it :shudders:

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  06:52:57
quote:

are we considering GoodWill an enemy too? howwabout that RePC place whose "mac guy" I incessantly complain about? I think tha my Q840av (rexcued from that evil man) had to be a liberation... sadly it probably found it's wayback to him when i "recycled" it :shudders:

Official 68k videographer

I would not go so far as to say that places like GoodWill are the "enemy" unless they abuse the Macs to come into their care. To some extent the cluelessness of recyclers works to the 68kMLA's advantage. Places like GoodWill serve two purposes. First, they are an excellent place for die-hard 68k foot soliders to get their Macs. Second, they provide a low cost of entry for new recruits to the Army.

The true enemies are those that destroy Macs with malicious glee or fling them into dumspters without giving anyone a chance to adopt an older Mac.

Wishing good conquests,

G4From128k

& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial Symmetry

Edited by - g4from128k on 27 Jan 2003 06:53:36Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  07:00:26
**** and things like THAT are why I should never have given the user "nomacsyet" (same as dukeofthenet2002 BTW) my Performa 578, and my Macintosh SEfdhd... I know TONS of other people who wouldn'tve thrown them literally into the dumpster, and/or they would have offered them bacck! at least before they did that. I am MAD at him still because that 578 had GOOD GUTS... a 300MB HDD, 36 of RAM, and the 40MHz full 040! that machine was very ready to be a server for him like he wanted...

or a website design centre, including, but not limited to, webpage design, image editing and writing things...

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  15:48:41
quote:

**** and things like THAT are why I should never have given the user "nomacsyet" (same as dukeofthenet2002 BTW) my Performa 578, and my Macintosh SEfdhd... I know TONS of other people who wouldn'tve thrown them literally into the dumpster, and/or they would have offered them bacck! at least before they did that. I am MAD at him still because that 578 had GOOD GUTS... a 300MB HDD, 36 of RAM, and the 40MHz full 040! that machine was very ready to be a server for him like he wanted...

or a website design centre, including, but not limited to, webpage design, image editing and writing things...

Official 68k videographer

*cringes*

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  15:55:11
Aye it's a bloody shame our kid

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.