Lounge
 iBooks in Australia
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  02:31:20
Hi,

Im currently looking into purchase a Apple Laptop so I can retire my Powerbook 180c. Im thinking of getting one of the original 'clamshell' models. I live in Australia so I would require a locally made and sold one so it would have the necessary modem connectors and power cables.

What I ask is there a store in Australia were I could by one of these iBooks (peferably Tangerine) cheaply. I have looked at eBay but there is limited amounts, and none of them the original model.

I will also require an Airport card preinstalled into the iBook and one of the older Airports so I can use that as a modem and surf the interent wirelessly.

I am not prepared as of yet to purchase the iBook, Im am just looking around and evaluating my options.

Edited by - Fedorenko on 26 Jan 2003 03:36:15

Edited by - Fedorenko on 26 Jan 2003 03:36:24

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  06:44:13
The sad fact of the matter is that you'll probably end up paying more for an iBook from a second-hand retailer or a classified than eBay.

If you can afford to wait until one comes up an eBay, then I recommend that course of action to you.
Otherwise, the classifieds in the Trading Post/Quokka/whatever are probably the next best place to find one, especially if you're lucky, or you manage to bargain someone down.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  14:46:45
If you are near Melbourne or don't mind doing business over the phone then www.applebits.net is a good place. Although they tend to be on the expensive side, especially compared to eBay some of their prices aren't too bad. I've met Nick the owner on a few occasions and although he can be a bit standoffish is seems like a good guy.

Personally I would seriously consider the Wallst II which is upgradeable cheaper and has a bigger screen, I would not buy any extra memory cards of accessories from him though as they can all be had for a lot less elsewhere.

The Wall St Ii G3 233 14.1" is 1090 AUD, don't bother with the 266 it's not worth the extra cost the money would be better spend on a firewire card and case or put towards a CPU upgrade.

An iBook 300 which he seems to have in tangerine is 1290

I wouldn't go lower than an iBook SE though which has firewire and runs at 366. Especially when you have no interneal expansion options the firewire will make a big difference for CD burners etc.

One thing I would be extremely wary of is that original iBook batteries are starting to fail and is very very very hard to find replacements, especially for a reasonable price, and they don't come from Apple. Search the www.xlr8yourmac.com forums for more info on this. Apparently the battery situation is not so bad with Wallstreets and newer iBooks.

Last time I asked he was selling Airport card for 120'ish

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  17:25:52
http://www.microseconds.com.au/

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  23:55:08
Thankyou for your advice. While I would still like an iBook, the problems with batteries is pushing me towards taking the Walstreet 2 option from Apple Bits.

Its would be ridiculas to purchase the iBook where something with a bigger screen adn slightly slower is there for 200 less. Its a shame though about the iBook....

Once I get the money, I will probbly get the base Wallstreet, then slowly upgrade the ram to its max (512MB?) and mabye even upgrade to a G4 500mhz from http://www.powerbookguy.com/wallstreet.html#serviceparts. I will probably get the USB and Firewire cards and a bigger hardrive too.

What I ask is how hard is it do do such upgrades? I know my way around computers, just never opened a laptop before. Also what OS would you sugest? MacOS 9? Im not very found of OSX, and I have haerd the upgrade cards sometimes dont work with OSX in Wallstreet's.

Once again thanks.

Edited by - Fedorenko on 27 Jan 2003 01:39:35Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  04:23:15
*yick* I'd stay away from the upgrades. You'll end up spending nearly the price of new iBook (or at least as much as a very newly second hand one!) and you won't actually have one...if you know what I mean. Trying to run OSX is going to be trouble, not impossible though. I'd spend somewhere around $1500 for the best deal I can get, and save up for a 'real' iBook (meaning one of the titanium ones) when they come on the second hand market - or just save for a new one. I havn't seen any clam-shell iBooks for a while, but when I did see them, they were in the trading post.

cheers
Flash!

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  16:03:12
Yeeh, but an iBook runs on G3, last time I checked....

I am planning on keeping my next laptop alive as long as possible, so I dont mind spending a bit of money on the thing and getting the 64 500mhz upgrade will be a while of yet.

I have no intention of running OSX, Its fugly. I also dont like the look of the iBooks and Powerbook G4's. OS9 and Powerbook G3 Wallstreet in my opinion is much nicer.

Im looking at AppleBits now and I ask what is the difference between the Wallstreet, and the original Powerbook G3?

Edited by - Fedorenko on 27 Jan 2003 17:52:26Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  23:47:36
I'm not sure that there is a substantial difference between the two. Quickly looking at the specs.... the WallStreet can take more RAM; there's a few varieties of the WallStreet and the main difference between them is basically the screen size and resolution, the lowest WallStreet has the same screen as the Original G3 PB. The original G3 has a 250MHz processor, and a 50MHz bus, while the WallStreet has a 233 or 250MHz processor with a 66 or 83MHz bus. And aside from a few variations in L2 cache, disk size and so forth they are more or less the same.

You should note though that I have never owned or used one of these 'Books for any period of time, so I may not know what I am talking about I'd probably go for one of the WallStreets if it was my money - just coz it's a little bit newer, and a little bit faster.

cheers
Flash!

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  02:41:03
Yeh, diffinately the 233mhz Wallstreet with a nie 14." screen. Im also going down the cheaper road by not upgrading the CPU, only having a USB PCMIA card, and only 256mb of RAM. But yeh, it sitll only 1300 ish. Running OS9.1 it would be very nice.

And, I think the case looks much, much cooler.

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  07:02:38
$1300 with no CPU upgrade - now yer talking

Did you check out microseconds? They have 400MHz Pismo's for $1550 (DVD, USB, Rage 128 video, firewire...etc), and 333MHz Lombards for $1350

The only thing the 233MHz Mac you're talking about has, that the above Macs don't have, is 256MB RAM. But you can upgrade that....

cheers
Flash!

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  07:18:30
holy crap - look at the bargains!

http://www.microseconds.com.au/price.html

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  08:21:45
That's actually pretty bad... you'd get quite a lot more on eBay, especially for late model iMacs/G4s/iBooks.

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  14:37:57
1550 for the 400 MHz doesn't look bad, you get the DVD , USB and firewire built in, almost double the processor speed and better graphics.

They're all nice extras for a relatively small increase in price. If you want to use OS X I would deffinetly spring for that. However the Wallstree 233 will make a nice little OS 9 Machine and if it's not your main computer it's what I would go for.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  01:53:44
Hrmm, Apple Bit seem a bit......over priced.

This is my question, how 'bronze' are they keyboards of the Lombards and Pismo's?

Edited by - Fedorenko on 29 Jan 2003 02:28:28Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  02:50:50
Yeah, I prefer the OS9 interface too - I still can't get used to the X interface and I only really use it on an OSX server that I deal with on a regular basis. I guess I'll have to get used to it eventually, but I'll always have a coupla 68k's around to get my 'Classic' fix.

ZIP drives are easy enough to get a hold of (i presume that you are talking external SCSI) If you get really stuck for one, then I can sell you my spare - but I'm sure you'll find one for $50-80. In fact I am fairly certain that if you were to say to microseconds "give me a $1550 Pismo with 256MB RAM (at additional cost) and throw in a ZIP drive too" they would go for it. Oh, and ask for a floppy drive to be thrown in as well. Good retail economics says that it's better to throw in a few freebies to make a sale than have stock sitting on the shelf - especially if it's second hand stock!

note: I do not work for microseconds - in fact I have not purchased anything from them since my original PB140 that I bought ten years ago. It's just that cruisin' around the second hand market they seem the most reaonably priced (for a shop that is), and when I have talked with them they have been very helpful (I was looking for PRAM batteries for PB5xx series), and I believe all prices are negotiable.

I agree with you ~Coxy in that $1550 for old technology is a little bit rich (what with minimal RAM and a small HD), on the other hand the better deals you are talking about on eBay means that you have to spend another $1000 (like <$2500-3000 for a later model iBook) And sure iMacs are cheap if you want an original 233MHZ with 64MB RAM but the decent G3 iMacs with a good anmount of RAM are still around the $1000-1200 mark and G4's are even more. Bottom line is that if your budget is aroud $1500 then the Pismo deal ain't that bad.

Airport compatible? I'm not sure what that means - it could be as simple as buying an Airport PCMCIA card (do they exist? I'm sure they do) If you have to remove the keyboard then I'm pretty sure all you have to do is flip the Mac over, and remove the screws along the horizontal centre line, which will loosen the front edge of the keyboard so that you can lift it out (being mindful of the ribbon cable that connects to the motherboard)

cheers
Flash!

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  03:07:19
What I meant about the ZIP drives is I have heard of internel ZIP drives for all of these Powerbooks in their media bay.

I have to admit though that Im starting to swing back towards the Wallstreet 2. Im a student, and since my current mac experience is only a Powerbook 180c, im prety sure that 233mhz would still be nice.

Also wiht the Wallstreet, I have hard it has 2 media bays, does that mean that it can have let say, a CD-ROM and a Floppy in the 2 bays, plus a battery? Also i jsut notieced on Apple Bits they sell and PCMIA card that is compatable with Airpot, always handy.

How Bronze is the Keyboard in the Lombard and Pismo?

Sorry if I have repeated some questions, I am having some trouble with IE.

Edited by - Fedorenko on 29 Jan 2003 03:19:46Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  05:15:04
quote:

I agree with you ~Coxy in that $1550 for old technology is a little bit rich...

I'm just wondering if I'm seeing the same thing as you guys.
That page is what they're paying you for giving them one of your old machines, right?

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  14:14:04
I'm not sure about the 2 media bays thing. I thought the deal was you could have 2 batteries as their orientation doesn't matter. But you could only have 1 drive (I think they have to go on the right hand side, otherwise they are upside down!) If you could fit two drives you would have to run off the A/C adaptor.

If cash is a concern (and I'll probably be doing the same thing come the summer) go for the wallstreet 2. Applebits have genuine Airport cards for 120 but you will need a PCMCIA airport compatible card, I would be very surprised if you couldn't buy one from a PC shop or swap meet for less than the price at Applebits.

Going from your old 68k to a Wallstreet 2 with it's 14.1 inch screen is going to be like night and day. You can get an internal ZIP (I sold one on eBay about a year ago) but unless you use it a lot I wouldn't pay the premium for it. I'm sure you'll be getting a USB PC card and the USB ZIP is pretty small. OS 9 will be pretty zippy on that machine and I doubt you are going to be using it for a lot of gaming from the sounds of things in which case you should have zero problems with performance.

--------

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  00:00:05
Yes, the info about the media bays seems correct (must not have been thinkin to well last night....).

About the Zip drives, if it comes to it, I might even just find one of the original standard disk drives. Just somethign that I can store some simple word files on.

About games. While I wont be filling the thing to the gills with games, I will want a couple of commercial games. What kind of cut of age can I expect for it? I might get AoE1, Diabalo, and a shooter game. (Marathon?).

Any game sugestions would be nice.

How hard will the daylight be on my eyes once I get this thing.... :).

Edited by - Fedorenko on 30 Jan 2003 00:35:30Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  07:09:43
quote:

How hard will the daylight be on my eyes once I get this thing.... :).

I'd say pretty bad, if you stay up all night playing with your new toy

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  17:07:31
AoE 1 Diablo 1 , any maraton, duke nukem, most 2d games (not sure about diablo 2 though) most shareware games, emulation of anything up to snes 9x, ambrosia games, and probably even quake 2 should all be playable.

You aren't going to be playing UT Q3 etc etc, mind you none of those would run much better on the iBooks you were looking at.

--------

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.