All Forums
 68k Software
 68040 mp3 realtime players
Author Topic  
stan
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  05:53:06

If anyone is interested there are a couple of mp3 realtime players for 68040 macs at info-mac that have been released recently.

mpegdec 1.0 is the fastest.
It can play stereo mp3's in stereo on a 68040 33Mhz mac.

mpg123 1.1 is not as fast as mpegdec.
It can play stereo mp3's in mono on a 68040 33Mhz mac.

No fpu needed for either one.

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  08:32:13
Where did you find these programs? VersionTracker has no programs under those names listed. Also, have you tested these programs to do what your saying?

SoundApp advertizes that it can play MP3's on a 68K system, but in reality, it can do nothing of the sort. Partially is because it requires QuickTime 4.1.2 to do this, which can play MPEG files finally. Quicktime 4.0.3 is the last version useable by non-PPC upgraded Macs, and it does not support MPEG.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  12:05:09
There was a discussion about this on the Vintage Macs mailing list not too long ago. You might find some info in the archoves at Low End Mac.

,xtG
.tsooJ

RTFMGo to Top of Page

stan
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  21:27:00

The mp3 players are not like soundapp68k they can play a mp3 in realtime.

The mp3 players are at
http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/gst/snd/mpegdec-10.hqx

http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/gst/snd/mpg-123-11-68k.hqx

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  18:38:18
I dont understand how to use these, they dont look like players to me.

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napoleon

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  19:31:37
Geez, this is crazy. I thought it had been established that 68k's can't do MP3's. Wow. However, I use a 60 mhz 601 to play MP3's and it isn't fun. It takes upwards of 10 seconds to respond to commands like Pause and Skip and even volume control when playing. I'd hate to see it on a 33 mhz 040. The shear idea is wonderful, though! In principle of course. I'm sure it's painful in practice.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  19:35:46
Ewwwww they don't have a GUI ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

That one up there was #200! Woohoo!

Hmm, it doesn't work quite right on my iMac. Instead of a song, I get a horrible noise. It says it was written in 68k assembler. Would it need to be run on a true 68k? Does the emulator of my PPC not handle assembly language the way the real chip would?

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candyPunk on 15 Jan 2002 19:41:11Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  21:19:22

I am the programmer who did the mac 68k version of mpegdec 1.0.

Here is some info on the 68k mac mp3 players.

I've read some of the replies and it seems there is a fair bit of confusion going on.

On the amiga there is a 68040 68k mp3 realtime library called mpega library that is used by amiga mp3 frontends like amigaamp.

I'ts able to play stereo (44100Hz 128kbps) mp3's in stereo (downsampled by 2) on a 68040 33Mhz in realtime and on a 68030 50 Mhz in mono.

Amiga 68040 and 68030 users have been able to play mp3's in realtime for years.

All that stuff about 68040 and 68030 macs not being able to play mp3's in realtime is garbage.

The author of the amiga mpega library has a portable version of it called mpegdec.

Mpegdec 1.0 is the first mac version.

It uses 68k assembly optimizations so I don't guarantee that it works on ppc macs.

I have tested it on my LC575 with no problems.

For the moment it is a command line app.

The command line seems to scare mac users so a drag and drop version is coming soon.

You have to enter a command line like

-d2 -q0 myfile.mp3

ie unix style.

The drag and drop version will be called
mpegdec 2.0

mpg123 1.1 is not as fast as mpegdec so I don't know if I will develop it further.

I hope this post clears up the confusion.

Mark White.

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  22:25:06
Thanks. That did the trick. Very good to know.

{ candyPunk }

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  20:33:21
There was a tutorial in the May 2001 Ultimate How-to issue of Macaddict that titled "How to build your own mp3 player using RealBASIC". They used RealBASIC 2.1.2, the last 68k compatible version. I have the issue and the RealBASIC demo on The Disc. Does anyone think it would work?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
1 Mac Liberated (more to come)Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  07:34:26
No.
A. It uses Quicktime for playback, I think.
B. There's no way a RealBasic app is gonna be as fast as a C coded/assembler app.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  21:38:27
quote:

The command line seems to scare mac users so a drag and drop version is coming soon.

You have to enter a command line like

-d2 -q0 myfile.mp3

ie unix style.

Mommy, the command line is out to get me!!!

*shudder*

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  03:35:23

MpegDec 2.0 has been released.

No more scary command line.
This version is drag and drop.

http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/gst/snd/mpegdec-20.hqx

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  22:59:13
I tried v2.0. I'm very impressed. Do you have any plans to make a more full-featured version with controls (play, pause, fastfoward, etc) and a playlist?

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  17:51:51

You can drag all the mp3 files in a folder onto mpegdec's window and it will play all of them.

A sort of basic playlist feature.

If enough people use mpegdec then I will add features like random playlists etc.

I've got some reports about mpegdec's speed.

On a Quadra 840av it can play mp3's with no downsampling at all in singlemix mode.

I didn't think mpegdec was that fast.

I don't have a 840av just a color classic with a LC575 motherboard.

I think mpegdec main use is for listening to a mp3 and then maybe decoding it to aiff for the best sound quality.

It decodes to aiff a lot faster than soundapp.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  10:58:00
Anyone tried it on a 950? I'm guessing the faster bus and all round power will help...

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  11:24:05
quote:

Anyone tried it on a 950? I'm guessing the faster bus and all round power will help...

It works well :)

works about the same on a Q630/40Mhz also

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  17:57:49
Good to know, it's such a paradigm shift! Finally, a programmer who solves the 68K MP3 problem! Now to get some MP3s...

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  02:03:02
Hey this rocks im hearing mp3s throught my Quadra 610! 040 power 4 eva! Now one thign most my mp3s are in quicktime format and I can't drag them into there or open them in MpegDec, how can i fix these or can I help! I lost my PM 6100 to a Palm today so my Mp3s machine is gone and I HAVE TO HEAR MY PINK FLOYD!!!! thanks

jeremy

Napoleon

Covert Ops

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  02:51:07
Don't worry I got them to work, my old friend petikas who helped me out. I had to get file info in ResEdit on the mp3 and change the format from Mp3 to MPG3, now I can hear my Pink Floyd! Thanks!

jeremy

Napoleon

Covert Ops

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  09:05:29
Allright, I finally got around try testing it on my Quadra 840av. I decided to only try 128-bit mp3's, set to stereo and quality level 1. It sounded perfect! No discernable loss of quality between playing them on my 7500. I tried them at quality level 2, but it had artifacts. Also, I didn't expect the player to lock up the processor, but I guess you can't expect too much.

The cool thing is I can create a "playlist" of mp3's to drop onto the player and just leave it there while I work on my 7500 and not have to worry about neccassary reboots or crashes or what have you interrupting the music flow! This is quite an amazing little app, keep up the good work, MarkyMark, and maybe you'll build your own little 68k iTunes! By the way, if you need any help creating some kind of graphics to add to the UI, I'd be happy to provide some.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 30 Jan 2002 09:09:51Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  10:00:32
quote:

The cool thing is I can create a "playlist" of mp3's to drop onto the player and just leave it there while I work on my 7500 and not have to worry about neccassary reboots or crashes or what have you interrupting the music flow

*ahem* I asked markymark about playlist (ala SoundJam) possibilies in future versions...he mentioned that primitive playlist feature

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  10:21:47
Oh yeah, I just noticed that further up the thread! I thought I discovered it on my own!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  19:58:51

Quicktime (sound manager) converts all audio from a application to whatever your sound output settings are.

I read somewhere that the 840av has 16 bit audio up to 48000hz.

If your sound output is set to 44100hz on a 840av then all sound
output is converted to 44100hz.

For a 44100Hz mp3 file.

If I use mpegdec with downsampling = 2 then mpegdec is outputing the audio at 22050Hz and then it is being converted to 44100hz by quicktime (sound manager).

This (sound manager) frequency conversion can take up a fair amount of time.

If the 840av sound output is set to 16 bit 22050Hz stereo then no conversion takes place for the above example and sound output can be faster.

My LC575 is hardwired to 22050Hz 8 bit stereo output so if I use mpegdec with downsampling = 2 no frequency conversion takes place but it does convert the 16 bit stereo output to 8 bit stereo output.

Also there is a AppleScript mp3 type changer at
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.ridley/download/MP3Typa.sit.bin

I had to remove the "activate" bits from the script using script editor to get it to work.

It converts multiple mp3 files on system 7.5.x ok.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  09:31:49
Ahhh I see, I have my 840av set to 48k output, thus it's taking up alot of CPU power to do the conversion on the fly. Still, it sounds great!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  02:38:45
I have it on my LC630, and all i can say is that i am utterly impressed. I unstuffed the file, turned off AppleTalk, launched it and i was hearing the wonderful sound that is Lorraine Lawson's voice ringing through the speaker in my 630 in no time.

However, may i make a little request? When you go to put the controls in, would it be possible to make it utilise the remote control sensor on the front of 63x series Macs? I was just wondering, because i use a Sony HiFi remote control to control audio CDs on my 630 and adjust the system volume, and IMHO it would be really cool to start up an MP3 from the opposite side of the room in front of all my friends who say that Macs are pieces of crap and that old 68ks deserve to live in the bin...that'd prove them all wrong!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  07:28:01
Now that's a good idea!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:15:05
quote:

IMHO it would be really cool to start up an MP3 from the opposite side of the room in front of all my friends who say that Macs are pieces of crap and that old 68ks deserve to live in the bin...that'd prove them all wrong!

Very cool, love those 63x boxes! To this day, all my kids's Pentium & Athlon driver friends' jaws hit the floor when he turns on the Q630 built into his desk with that "credit card" remote to watch tv on the 17" monitor (the monitor size, scanner, and color printer used to make'em insanely jealous, not so much now). Now he's got an Radio/IR transceiver and can control the cable box and vcr from his room too. MP3's on call will just add to the mystique!

jt

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  22:36:37
I remember when I thought it was the coolest thing ever to see cable TV on my friend's mac. If he had played music, I would have fainted!

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  23:13:00
quote:

I remember when I thought it was the coolest thing ever to see cable TV on my friend's mac. If he had played music, I would have fainted!

Forgot to mention the Apple Powered Speakers! GREAT stereo sound *to my tin ear anyway* and a one rope hammock/chair swinging from his ceiling to sit in with the remote control! The windows-impaired kids just about faint without the mp3's!

jt

I shouldn't really make fun of windows, with an all-in-wonder card he wouldn't be limited to 640x480, but the 630's remote control sure is nice!

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  02:33:43
quote:

quote:

Forgot to mention the Apple Powered Speakers! GREAT stereo sound *to my tin ear anyway* and a one rope hammock/chair swinging from his ceiling to sit in with the remote control! The windows-impaired kids just about faint without the mp3's!

jt

I shouldn't really make fun of windows, with an all-in-wonder card he wouldn't be limited to 640x480, but the 630's remote control sure is nice!

I wish i had AppleDesign Powered Speakers..

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  23:55:10
Considering System Exclusive MP3 players for Wintel PCs require at least a 75 MHz Pentium, I think that our 68ks are doing very well!

seano1
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  16:40:53
quote:

Geez, this is crazy. I thought it had been established that 68k's can't do MP3's. Wow. However, I use a 60 mhz 601 to play MP3's and it isn't fun. It takes upwards of 10 seconds to respond to commands like Pause and Skip and even volume control when playing. I'd hate to see it on a 33 mhz 040. The shear idea is wonderful, though! In principle of course. I'm sure it's painful in practice.

I use to play lots of mp3 on may 100 mhz 601. I could even use other applications without much trouble. Of course may machine was almost twice as fast as the example you gave. If you used a newer program like iTune I’m not surprised it didn’t work well, there resource hugs compared to old simpler applications.

Go to Top of Page

seano1
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  16:51:12
quote:

Ewwwww they don't have a GUI ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

That one up there was #200! Woohoo!

Hmm, it doesn't work quite right on my iMac. Instead of a song, I get a horrible noise. It says it was written in 68k assembler. Would it need to be run on a true 68k? Does the emulator of my PPC not handle assembly language the way the real chip would?
Edited by - candyPunk on 15 Jan 2002 19:41:11

The emulation is done at a very low level, but it’s not prefect. It could also be because of your iMacs newer sound hardware.

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  17:00:45
quote:

quote:

Does the emulator of my PPC not handle assembly language the way the real chip would?

The emulation is done at a very low level, but it’s not prefect. It could also be because of your iMacs newer sound hardware.

I get a different result on my iMac400 - mpegdec will run fine and produce sound, but it'll skip on all but the lowest-quality settings. Curiously, my 8100/80 and 950/100 PPC seem to run exactly the same... it's almost like all the PPC's are emulating a 25Mhz 040, but not going any faster.

Just a curiosity :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  19:52:43
Well, I ran mpegdec on my Q660av (25 mhz 040) yesterday and it was lovely. I could only use the lowest quality settings or 2nd lowest in certain combinations, but that's to be expected at less then 33 mhz, I guess? Hey, how do you use the playlist feature?

{ candyPunk }

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  05:27:04
quote:
Hey, how do you use the playlist feature?

On my 630, i just selected a bunch of files and dragged them onto MpegDec.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

LoungeLizard
The mod for the Lounge

Antigua and Barbuda
20 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  20:59:09
quote:
Hey, how do you use the playlist feature?

I wish people would read the entire thread before posting questions that have already been answered...

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  21:06:07
I wish I could remember to log off of LoungeLizard...

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  21:21:07
Jeez, sorry. I've been reading this thread since its inception and I didn't remember that particular detail. I figured it out, anyway, as it turned out to be explained (pretty much) in the documentation. Silly me. The drag-and-drop part didn't do it for me...I'll have to try that again sometime

{ candyPunk }

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  19:23:05

I've found some info on the 68k emulator used by ppc macs.

I somtimes use the BasiliskII 68k emulator on a AMD K6-2 350Mhz and I get about a 25Mhz 68040 emulation speed.

If I use BasiliskII JIT (dynamically recompiling version) I get about a 60Mhz 68040 emulation speed.

The way the Apples 68k emulator works is sort of similar to BasiliskII.

Info at this link
http://www.byte.com/art/9508/sec13/art1.htm

So if you use MpegDec on a imac you might be getting a 25Mhz 68040 emulation speed depending on the speed of the ppc cpu.

So I recommend using MpegDec on real 68040 or 68LC040 cpus only.

Emulation is ok for apps that don't depend on speed.

For some 68040 games and sound apps that max out the old 68040 cpu emulation on a low end ppc might not be fast enough.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.