se/30 problems
Author Topic  
Gotcha
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  19:30:22
Hello everybody!
I am having 3 problems with my se/30(none fatal...yet)
1. It takes me many times to get the smiley mac to appear on startup, and then I have to do it a second time to get the OS to start.
2. My keyboard works only some of the times. I'm not saying that it works on and off during each session, but either it works or it doesn't as long as it is on.
3. I get a TON of bus errors. Might this have to do with the fact that my memory is slightly touching the metal part of the case? If not, what can I do?
Thanks!
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  18:35:06
well... this is a stretch... but you could ask MacLover5 about how to wash (yes, bathe) a macintosh motherboard, it involves removing it from the system I'm sure. this may sove some of your problems...

It doesn't soundl ikea PRAM battery issue though

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  12:13:49
sounds like your ADB chips are flakey... on an SE, skills with a soldering iron can fix this. I'm not sure about an SE/30, as it might be surface soldered.

This could also contribute to the startup problems... you might be facing an I'm-Gonna-Die-Soon situation, especially with all the Bus errors.

If you can, remove all the RAM, and try replacing them with other (known good) SIMMs. It might jsut be the RAM is bad.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Gotcha
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  21:07:53
The ram is all new and I have 128mb in there. The bus errors only happen on certain programs, and I haven't seen anything flaky.
With the "I'm-gonna-die-soon" thing, can I replace something in order to get it back in shape(i.e. new motherboard)?

Anyone know what I should do with my keyboard?

Go to Top of Page

Gotcha
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  15:28:54
I fixed the keyboard.
I think the OS is behind the bus errors. I have heard bad things about 7.0.1, and only certain programs have bus errors(and in the same spots too).

Go to Top of Page

ElBaroni
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2003 :  18:16:28
Woah, use 6.0.8 - you'll need to get Mode32 (or whatever one it is) to get access to 120 megs of your ram, but 7.0.1 is as buggy as hell.

And there are lots of bugs in hell, I'm sure.

My 128k broke, my 512k had beer poured in the top of it, and my 512ke blew up. I'm resorting to an SE/30.Go to Top of Page

Gotcha
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2003 :  23:24:10
A little late.
I switched to 7.5 and it still is crap.
I had the same problems on 6.0.5(I think).

Go to Top of Page

onionkid
Starting Member

Sweden
35 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2003 :  23:30:31
I´ve encountered similar problems with my SE/30, and one more; when I tried to boot it up yesterday, I got the friendly little boot sound and all, heard the HD clapping a little, but no picture! might it be a PRAM issue (as seems to be the problem with everything that´s buggering me off these days ) ?

///////////////////

http://w1.635.telia.com/~u63505716/cuc/gfx/tehlab/28.jpgGo to Top of Page

Gotcha
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  21:10:11
I just remembered why I initially switched to System 7 from 6.
I think I couldn't find a really really old version of stuffit and mode32 wouldn't work(I have 128mb in there for crying out loud).

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  21:30:36
Brightness wheel setting check?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Gotcha
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 :  20:33:40
Now that was random!

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 :  20:35:30
quote:

Now that was random!

jt .

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  18:52:23
Try System 7.1. It's pretty stable, and 32-bit clean.

Sounds like a different HD might help, too.

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  23:55:54
were all of these problems solved?

or are bus errors still occuring? maybe that motherboard bath should happen!!!
(waits for ML5 to come here and tell us about it)

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  23:59:33
quote:

well... this is a stretch... but you could ask MacLover5 about how to wash (yes, bathe) a macintosh motherboard, it involves removing it from the system I'm sure. this may sove some of your problems...

Yes. I once did this to a Performa 5260. It didn't kill anything, but it didn't fix it, either. Either way, give it a go.

maclover5's Supersecret Guide on Bathing Macintosh Logic Boards:

Step 1: Shut down your computer and disconnect all cables and connectors

Step 2: Remove the logic board from your computer (watch out for the CRT)

Step 3: Remove all RAM SIMMs, cards, and anything else that is removable, from your logic board

Step 4: Turn on the water slightly so that there's enough, but not too much water coming out of the tap

Step 5: Gently put the logic board underneath the running water, let it run over the whole thing, on both sides. Turn it over if you need to.

Step 6: Let it dry out for at least1 week. 2 weeks or more is even better.

Step 7: When you are 100% sure that the logic board is completely dry, reinstall all components, connect everything back up, and try starting up.

Good luck!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  00:17:02
that's what I was looking for... thanks MacLover!

Gotcha
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  01:32:34
The errors are still occurring(.
Now I have yet more problems.
My computer restarts RANDOMLY(rare, only some programs)!
Ever since I installed a rasterops video card, games have been displaying larger than my little screen when there hasn't been an external monitor attached.
About the bus errors, I need to actually take a look inside my mac first to take a long, good look.
I think my ram might be a bit large. 1&1/2 inches give or take a bit. It does touch the metal case!
Remember, the bus errors only happen on certain programs.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  06:41:05
quote:

Remember, the bus errors only happen on certain programs.

I'm wondering if you mnight want to try the clean ROM hack (IIsi or IIfx ROM SIMM, IIRC) but you should definitely recheck the System and Driver Revision Level requirements (min. & max.) for all your apps and hardware before proceeding, ESPECIALLY the RasterOps card!

jt .

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2003 :  21:08:24
OK, additions to ML5's bathing instructions

1) dont be afraid to use some pressure, and the little spray handle that attaches to your sink, blow all of the crud off with the pressure from that. as long as no electronic componenents fly off the board, you are golden.

2) do the final rinse in distilled and deionized and demineralized water, that'll eliminate the risk of some mineral accreciations borking your board from shorting out traces. this goes double if you have hard water in your area. the water is not bottled water that you drink, but water you buy for your iron.

3) take a can of compressed gas (those computer dusters that shoot freezing liquid when turned upsidedown) and blow out all of the connectors, so that the water does not tarnish/corrode them during the drying process. the connectors always take longer to dry.

4) before putting it all back together, clean the ram contacts and any other edge connector contacts off with a pencil eraser, and you'll be golden.

good luck, and may this little SE/30 be unborkulated™

CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

jag
Starting Member

22 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  15:29:29
I'm surprised no onehas mentioned this: you need to troubleshoot yoru memory, bus errors are almost always memory related. Go down to 1 dimm and boot, if it works, put another in, etc... you prob have severe timing issues with out of spec or borderline spec memory. Seen this MANY times on the se/30 with that much ram.

JAG

http://www.jagshouse.com - the web's oldest classic Mac site, used Mac goodies for sale.Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  17:03:21
Jag has the right idea. Not all 16MB simms will work in the SE/30 (composite simms generally will act very erratically, just like your symptoms). Try ordinary 1MB simms first. If that works, that tells you a lot right there.

Go to Top of Page

pvz
Starting Member

Netherlands
3 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  04:05:55
quote:

I´ve encountered similar problems with my SE/30, and one more; when I tried to boot it up yesterday, I got the friendly little boot sound and all, heard the HD clapping a little, but no picture! might it be a PRAM issue (as seems to be the problem with everything that´s buggering me off these days ) ?

Same thing happened to me just now. It was working fine, but after I put in more ram and swapped the HD for one that came out of my Classic II it just went black.. The symptoms are as discribed here
http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~shamada/fullmac/repairEng.html#BlackOut
(great page btw) but I find it hard to believe I damaged something that bad when I took out the motherboard. Anyway, after putting back the old disk and memory it was still black :-( I was so looking forward to play with this little bugger.. Are there any know solutions, other than suggested at that page?

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.