Lounge
 help with external drives
Author Topic  
csmeby53
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  11:23:39
Boy do I need help! I have a powermac 8500 was told I could add a 2nd external hard drive, but I can't get it to boot up. What do I need to do? I thought I had assigned it a correct ID number. I'm not sure about my cable either. Can anyone offer some help?
alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  11:38:02
quote:

Boy do I need help! I have a powermac 8500 was told I could add a 2nd external hard drive, but I can't get it to boot up. What do I need to do? I thought I had assigned it a correct ID number. I'm not sure about my cable either. Can anyone offer some help?

http://www.tekserve.com/getinfo.html

Download the FAQ for the build era of your 8500 and check out the SCSI Woes section.

I am sure there are howto's online also, termination would come to mind after SCSI ID at a guess, but we need more info to really help.

jt

Go to Top of Page

csmeby53
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  12:30:00
Ok so I have this powermac 8500. The ID number for my scanner is 6, my zip is 5, my one external is 2 and my computer is 1. So i tried both #3 & 4 for the 2nd external drive and neither worked. I tired switching the cable connections in back of the new one, that didn't do anything. I hooked up the newer external between the old one and the zip with this cable I had, maybe the cable isn't the right one, but both ends were correct. When I normally boot up, I boot to the 1st external, not my internal and that did not show up on my desktop. I am so illerate when it comes to this computer stuff. Wish the company could afford to buy me a new one, so that's the reason for buy the additional external HD. Does this help with this information in solving my problem?

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  12:36:53
My guess would be that the new external has terminating resistors packs installed or that the drive itself is terminated. Is the Scanner (usually the last device) the last device on the chain? If so, remove it temporarily and put the new external in the last position to see if your system will boot. If that solves your problem, you'll just need to figure out how to remove the termination.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. you might wanna open the case of the new external and make sure the ID switch is really connected to the drive mechanism, if it's loose, you're not really changing the ID.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 22 Jan 2003 12:40:59Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  12:44:58
In my experience & this is the conclusion I have reached,

try to use internal scsi.

I gave up on having my scanner & cd rewriter both attatched it just wasnt worth the hassle.

I would have thought that you would have an internal hard drive(1 if not 2), a cd-rom drive & a floppy drive.

what scsi id is the cd rom(usually 3 I think) & what scsi id is your second hard drive if you have one?

next take note that scsi is sensitive to cable length, the longer the cabling(physical length) well this tends to lead to "ghosting".

My honest advice is accept either having just one scsi device or use an external scsi minitower.

Lastly get yourself a terminator(not the moovie). you will need an scsi terminator.

good luck ;-)

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

csmeby53
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  13:29:33
Switched hard drives, the newer one works (ID 5) and yes the CD drive is 3. So it's either a cable problem and/or I need an active ternimator I guess. Will also try taking out the scanner and try that.
thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!
The Novice

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  10:15:24
make sure your original internal HD (SCSI ID 0) is not terminated. On most drives, there are these small back plastic things sticking up on the circuit board near the connectors...remove those and say goodbye to termination!!

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  10:36:52
One special issue with the 8500 and 7500 (and others in that series????) is the presence of TWO SCSI busses. On the 8500, the internal bus supports the internal main drive (ID 0), the factory-installed internal CD-ROM drive (ID 3), and has a second plug for a second internal drive (ID 1, 2, 4, 5, or 6). The external SCSI port can thus support 7 devices on IDs 0 through 6. (or so claims the Tech Info booklet that came with my 7500 and with my 8500)

On other Macs with one SCSI bus, Firewire Is Fast would be correct -- you do need to be careful of conflicts and termination issues between the internal and external SCSI devices that share the one bus.

Anyhoo, with your 8500, you don't need to worry about conflicts between the internal and external SCSI devices because they are on separate busses.

Cheers,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  17:00:14
my 7300 has 2 internal SCSI busses iThink and external is on the same as the main internal, main internal = SCSI, secondary is a "fast SCSI port"

hmm.... oddly enough I'd say

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.