All Forums
 Lounge
 New Harddisk in Performa 5400 NOPOWER
Author Topic  
Braz
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  15:57:47
I've been trying to put a new harddisk in my old performa, so my son can play some games without changing cd's all the time (he's only 5). But when i hooked the maxtor 20G (it's an old one from my B&W G3) on to the performa I couldn't see it. Put back the old one and it worked fine, took them to my work and plugged them in the G3, Couldn't see the performa's disk, but the maxtor was there. So I installed macos 8.5 on to it and brougt it back home. But now the won't even power up. Am i mixing up two different kind of harddisks or something or did i maybe blew something. Master settings are ok, have used the reset button, but battery is very low.

Thanx for the help

Edited by - maclover5 on 21 Jan 2003 17:49:22

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  17:48:33
The battery shouldn't cause any problems like this, but i'm thinking that one of the drives may have died. (Probably the Performa drive) If you boot the Performa off a CD, do utilities like Drive Setup see both drives? This may assist us a bit more.

Btw, seeing as though the 5400 is a PowerPC based Mac, i'm going to have to move this to the Lounge.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  17:55:22
Any chance this could be an HFS vs. HFS+ issue? Anything before OS 8.1 would get a bit cranky if the drive was formatted HFS+.

Good luck,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.