700 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  15:27:38
I am booting my powerbook, and it comes up, after a few seconds with

Sorry, A system error occured.

[bomb] unimplemented trap
To Temporarily turn off extentions, restart
and hold down the shift key.

[restart button]

this is before any extentions load. if I disable the extentions, it boots fine.

any ideas?
CCC

[edit] I just realized I posted this in the wrong place, please move it.
thanx

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //e

Edited by - Clinton on 20 Jan 2003 15:29:13

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  16:07:46
An unimplemented trap is *click* AAAAHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh!!!!! *splat*

Actually, the problem probably is a bad extension or corrupted preference file. That it seems like the bomb occurs before extensions have loaded only means that the bomb occurs before the mac gets a chance to paint the first extension icon in the corner of your screen.

Try turning on some of the early loading extensions to see if you can discover which one is causing the problem. Deleting the preference file associated with the offending extension may solve the problem. Sometime other preference files get corrupted to, like "finder preferences" and "system preferences"

Good luck,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  04:25:20
lol, "unimplemented trap"

I knew us oldies might be usefull for something. It is a programming term & refers(in my day) to a line of a program being missing therefore if I wrote this;

10 ? "shaktiman"
20 trap 15
30 goto 10

then I would recieve an error message informing me of an unimplemented trap.

bear in mind that this may not be strictly correct as I never studied programming in the "proper" sense. But I think it will give you an idea of what is happening & as with most of the extension problems I usually suspect that two or more of the extensions are having an argument.

what is an error -19?

& now we are on the subject, when I try to type in this box I first have to click in the box & I get an error -50(I believe), does anybody else?

love ya

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  11:38:42
I'll get this sometimes when I accidently run a carbon or appearanceLib app on OS 7. I don't know exactly what it means, but I think it has something to do with a piece of the OS that the program is trying to access not being there. It could also be caused by a corrupted program or extension, as G4from128k and shaktiman sugguested, which is probably what's happening in your case. You've got to remember that most extensions don't have the pretty little icons that show up at boot time, so it's probably one of those. Hope this was of some help to you.

The Lightning Stalker

68k Macs liberated so far:

Cat Piss Performa 631CD
ThriftMac LC III

PPC Macs:
Road Apple 5200CD
Performa 6400/180
PowerMac 7600/120 (225 Mhz upgrade)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc (5.25" Built-in Floppy)
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  14:52:37
quote:

what is an error -19?

& now we are on the subject, when I try to type in this box I first have to click in the box & I get an error -50(I believe)

a simple program called MacErrors is useful to diagnose these errors

-19 is a "readErr" "I/O System Errors"
-50 is a "paramErr" "error in user parameter list"

Not that these desciptions are actually useful most of the time but once when I was getting a ton of type 1 and 2 errors (bus and address errors) I was able to trace the problem to a bad RAM SIMM

mathgeek

68K Macs Liberated: LC, Performa 636, Mac Classic II
My Powerbook 1400 page http://www.its.caltech.edu/~dgoulet/1400Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  05:18:55
A trap is a bit of code that is called to action when an exception occurs.

for instance, the 68LC040 CPU has no internal FPU. If an FPU instruction is issued to it, it throws an exception. Software like SoftwareFPU traps that exception, and handles it like a real FPU would, making it seem to the outside world as if an FPU was actually present, allowing you to run software that requires it.

In the case that a program issues an FPU instruction without checking if it is present, and if there is no SoftwareFPU to trap the exception, the OS gonks out and informs you that an ill-behaved program has caused an exception that is not trapped, because the trap is, you guessed it, unimplemented.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  06:36:59
ooOOOOoo
aahhAAAaaa
all the learning we do here at the MLA... maybe if we met in person we'd be the smartest group of people on earth, in addition lto having the most macs

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.