LC / Performa
 PIZZA BOXES GOT BATTERY POWERED VIDEO!
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  15:41:55
...back down in the shop following up info discovered in my Q605 cooking quest.

The video circuitry on my LC475 bit the dust so I picked up a Q605 as the new stand for my portrait display. Transplanted the goodiews from the 475 and dumped ot on the pile, never gave it a second thought.

Turns out P-RAM battery failure might nave been the culprit all along!

Cracked the case & tested the dormant Q605, good.
Cracket the LC475 case ......
Several battery & goodie exchanges later, it turns out I'm short one P-RAM battery and miscellaneous goodies......

The Q605 is fine and the 475 is now on the road to recovery... at least until I get my soldering irons out and....

Confirmed: Pizza box video circuitry is battery powered.

Hey Flash, thanks for the steer to the chipping site, you can add my 475 to your liberated (or recovered patient) tally.

jt

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  18:17:31
I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I LOVE the Q605/LC475- it's my favourite Mac! It's a real bummer when the PRAM battery goes though- it always causes the novice to think that their mobo is dead (not that I'm calling you a novice though )

Another little trick to get a 475 started (with dead PRAM) is to power it up for a few seconds, then quickly switch it OFF then ON again. This will usually make the video circuits work. Of course you'll still have the problem of the date (and other PRAM information) being reset to default, however at least you can see the screen

I promised myself that I'd overclock my 475 this christmas but it seems I've run out of time yet again.... I'm starting a petition for 10 day weeks, where you work for 6 and have 4 day weekends. Any takers?

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  15:59:35
quote:

The Q605 is fine and the 475 is now on the road to recovery... at least until I get my soldering irons out and....

can we really consider you a 68k liberator if you murder/torture them?

soldering iron modifications... if only I were so bold.

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  10:52:39
well, I think every 68k had battery powered video (battery dead - the video doesn't work, simple as that)

I can attest to Flash's on-off technique. My fist liberated mac (LC II) had a battery with very very very little. I had to do that a few times to get it on.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  11:01:37
Not all 68k's need a wokring PRAM battery to have video output, but many do. There are also some G1's, like the 7100, that have this issue.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 6
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  14:59:50
quote:

There are also some G1's, like the 7100, that have this issue.

I'm with flash on this one, I LOVE EM! I don't care if I have to hook up booster cables from my pickup truck ta crank 1 MILLION+COLOR-PIXELS out of the onboard video circuitry on A PHREAKIN'CONSUMER MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shhhhhsh! don't tell the idiot in the black turtleneck, he'll issue a recall.

jt

Back again...edit...edit.....does anybody run the spell-checker from the Grammarian folks? Does it work in real-time for posting here? How about Grammarian. Even if I have to run it intentionally, I always wanted to try that one. I get crosseyed re-reading to edit my posts for some reason. This is the serious part on this post guys: do those or similar products work as advertised?

I just realizied I probably should have.......feel free to move this gibberish under the sig if necessary or................

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Jan 2002 19:01:03Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  18:29:22
hmm, this does remind me of something that happened a couple of weeks ago. I was putting the Hackintosh (my LC475) through the paces of TechTool Pro, when all of a sudden a thunderstorm decided to park itself on top of me. Anyway i could see lightning stiking pretty close, so i started shutting down my Macs. Anyway, the lights went out for a second, as well as my LC630 as I was quitting TechTool and shutting down the 475. The lights were out, and there was no power in the house, and the drives had spun down, but THE MONITOR WAS STILL ON AND YOU COULD STILL SEE TECHTOOL ONSCREEN!! The power came back on a few seconds later, the drives spun up, and lo and behold, the Mac crashed. I then shut the power off for the thing, so it wouldn't happen again. Either way, the Mac is still fine.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  18:48:40
quote:

shhhhhsh! don't tell the idiot in the black turtleneck, he'll issue a recall.

Well considering he wasn't even at Apple during the reign of pizza boxes...

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  22:15:34
quote:

Well considering he wasn't even at Apple during the reign of pizza boxes...

and who might be the one to try to boost sales by laming machines right about now...........

or trying corral the ones that were just a little too fast and made it out the door while...............

you guessed it! it's..............

*reconsiders the serious consequences deriving from overly predictable tactical.........*

*yawns*

*and that one's getting a little long in the tooth anyway........*

*stumped....yawns again.............beats feet (retreats)*

jt 8-)

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.