Lounge
 I can.....
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  00:33:21
... Fashion my own clothes out of thread and cloth...

in my skills4life class, I'm making a pair of shorts with a fabric called "cat's meow"

it has birds and fishies and bird houses on it... all the stuff cats would meow about?

... I can... well... that's pretty much it..

anyone else do interesting different stuff?

Official 68k videographer

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  01:52:23
I can... (if we're not talking about computer stuff)

Make model boats. About 4 years ago I started building a radio control model boat hand carving the hull from balsa wood (which I had arranged in the rough shape before I started carving). After 3 years it was almost finished, all I had to do was sew the sails (it has a motor as well so I had already sailed it quite a bit). But then I moved to Australia with my g/f so it had to stay at my parents.

Anyway I've decided to start work on another one, I have the plans sorted out. Materials are cheap. Hopefully I'll have it finished before easter!! I can't belive it took so long and i still hadn't finished it!

I've been doing pretty well with my Power Colour Classic. After going to the electronics shop once a week for the last month, thinking I have eveything I need, untill I get home and realise what I forgot, I am almost finished. This could be the first project I have ever completed in under a year! So far it's taken about 7 months all I have to do is connect the regulator circuit to the power supply and solder in a new HD power connector.

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  04:49:27
I can blow glass.

I took a class at the beginning of last summer, was almost a 60 hour week, lol. Since then I've taken part in several more activites at the local glass center (said to be one of the best in the country), and walked home with now about a grand total of 30 or so pieces, some looking LOTS better than others.

*goes back to thinking of solid glass comp case...*

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  06:40:50
I can do insane stunts that some would fear death on, without the slightest immediate injury... Of course, my right knee is starting to go out.... pop pop pop when I swing swing swing my leg. Nurse practitioner said to bycicle to help that.... OK.... But my insane stunt days are over, well over on a profession outlook, still the occasional here or there...

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  07:00:47
I can make insanely powerful pneumatic "potato" guns that blow the target (peecee, vcr, plywood) to oblivion! And no, they don't just shoot potatoes, I can shoot D-cell batteries, Grapefruit, oranges, paintballs, 20oz soda bottles, aerosol cans, and more.... I have managed to get a potato to travel about 5/8 mile using a 10 foot long barrel. That leads to the remote electronic firing system I made for them too, which has saved me from injury a couple times

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Keeper of the 68kmla Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org
Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  13:54:57
I can put together my own guitar effects stompboxes...currently i'm wiring the backside of the board for an "octavia" like the one used by jimi hendrix.

I've also modded several of teh boxes i already had to alter their sounds (my parents got me a soldering iron for christmas )

-------------
Special Ops, 578th Performa Division
68k Macs Liberated: 2
[i]...because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  13:59:53
I can build a rubber-band-powered dragonfly out of paper.

I made a couch out of cardboard that lasted for 10 years of daily use.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  14:29:06
Hey! Quadrajets, tell us more about these potato guns! Do you have a website?

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  15:43:39
bah, pneu8matic spud guns are weak!
gotta have a butane gun with a long barrel for good compression.

one mine is a 4-foot barrell muzzle loader with a 2 foot four inch firing chamber. The whole thing is made of ABS pipe, and is a helluva fun thing to shoot. the way to get the best range is to put spud at mouth of barrle to stop butane from escaping, though dont put it all the way down. after you spray your propellant in, screw the back on again, ram the spud/apple/tomato/battery down all the way, to compress the gases. hold the gun like a bazooka, aim, twist sparker, BOOM, spud pierces through fence post.
CCC

btw, to find how to make one, google around for spud gun.
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  15:44:17

one mine is a 4-foot barrell muzzle loader with a 2 foot four inch firing chamber. The whole thing is made of ABS pipe, and is a helluva fun thing to shoot. the way to get the best range is to put spud at mouth of barrle to stop butane from escaping, though dont put it all the way down. after you spray your propellant in, screw the back on again, ram the spud/apple/tomato/battery down all the way, to compress the gases. hold the gun like a bazooka, aim, twist sparker, BOOM, spud pierces through fence post.
CCC

btw, to find how to make one, google around for spud gun.
CCC

68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  16:00:53
. . . fashion a wristwatch suitable for Godzilla!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  18:22:07
Cool beans trash!
I always wanted to see what it was you actualy did make

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  18:28:50
quote:

they are NOT weak when they have an 8 foot 4" air chamber that can handle 260psi and a 1.5" full port brass ball valve

I have combustion guns too, and mine have a different ignition system than most (no stupid unreliable sparker). I made a couple for my family, and after hundreds of shots, the ignition system hasn't failed once-no misfires. for details on how to build one (outdated, but still the same wiring), visit my web page.

my latest 4"X2.5ft chamber/ 2"X6ft barrel gun is still put to shame by the big pneumatic gun I have. The combustion gun dented a vcr pretty good, and made it fly. The pneumatic gun just blew a hole right through it.

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Keeper of the 68kmla Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  19:34:07
I can.....make jokes about Cory and his skills4life teacher...

Just kidding!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  21:23:03
that's not nice...

well I also want to have a model railroad built eventually... i'ts like having me own miniature world to take over!

probably just one on a 4' by 8' plywood... nothing tooo realistic either :-\... I should try to make it look as corny as possible! LOL!

:thomas the tank engine chugs around the perfect oval

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  21:47:21
quote:

that's not nice...

Yah! Sewing is a great thing to know how to do, I started making snake sacks back in jr. high school and the rug rat an I made to-die-for original Halloween costumes for him for many years.

But kidding around about it is de rigeur . . . don't let it bother you . . . .

The next time somebody makes a crack about it just laugh i . . . erm . . . hrmmm . . .

. . . I'll be getting the BIG framing hammer out of the toolbox about now!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  21:52:35
quote:

. . . I'll be getting the BIG framing hammer out of the toolbox about now!

sounds good

I'll have my big heavy laptop-school bag of death ready

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  12:10:27
Has anyone here heard of Tesla Coils? I've made a few small ones out of TV parts. In case you don't know, It's a high-voltage, high-frequency transformer and is a great way to blow up old computer parts. Some of the bigger ones can shoot lightning bolts through the air for 15'. That's right, fifteen feet! The biggest ones can produce arcs about 50' long, but those are huge. If you're interested, you can to to www.amasci.com/tesla/tesla.html and find out how to build your own.
I also made what's called a "high energy pulser" which is sort of like a camera flash on steroids. It charges a bank of capacitors to about 1200 volts and then uses a spark-gap switch to discharge it into your target load as a giant pulse (hence the name). I once exploded a RadioShack LED with this thing, but the possibilities are endless. Blow up some old 8086 chips or something? You can also go to my homepage.

The Lightning Stalker

68k Macs liberated so far:

Cat Piss Performa 631CD
ThriftMac LC III

PPC Macs:
Road Apple 5200CD
Performa 6400/180
PowerMac 7600/120 (225 Mhz upgrade)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc (5.25" Built-in Floppy)
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  17:23:27
quote:

that's not nice...

hey! I was just joking! (If you want me to, i'll delete the offending post)

Warrior maclover5

P.S.: Lighning Stiker, what parts from the TV do you use for the Tesla coil? It would be interesting to see one in action...

Edited by - maclover5 on 21 Jan 2003 17:25:50Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  18:04:31
If you want more information, just go to my homepage. All the instructions for construction are there. Just click the link "How to Build a Transistorized Tesla Coil"Go to Top of Page
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  21:39:17
hehehe... nah... it's OK ML5... we forgive you

hehehe... such odd talents... why don't we combine them all and... yeah... it'd be fun to see what all that talent combined could do...

(devises plan to take over the world)

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  07:19:24
I'm seeing it now: A faux finished Tesla Coil with little model railroads going around it, getting mercilessly hit with lightning bolts!Go to Top of Page
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  07:45:16
quote:
T O P I C R E V I E W
cory5412
... Fashion my own clothes out of thread and cloth...

in my skills4life class, I'm making a pair of shorts with a fabric called "cat's meow"

it has birds and fishies and bird houses on it... all the stuff cats would meow about?

... I can... well... that's pretty much it..

anyone else do interesting different stuff?

Official 68k videographer

Now it has to be said cory, please dont sit in front of a cat with those shorts on! especialy kittens which have needlelike claws.

truly this is a lovly post, what can I offer?

I can make audio tapes play backwards!?

My favourite is spotting pretexts in films, about 5 seconds into a film I decide who made it & why.

The most disturbing film I watched recently being Independance day, that scared the SH*T outa me, why the hell did Will Smith act like some dodgy 50's charachter & ordain that shooting things & smoking were both really cool?

I thought that 50's lets kill the alien moovie had been done to death & that we were now more enlightened.

I loved Lilo & Stitch.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  10:30:55
quote:

I can put together my own guitar effects stompboxes...currently i'm wiring the backside of the board for an "octavia" like the one used by jimi hendrix.

Kick ass! I love guitar effects pedals. I used to experiment with my brother's pedals, I'd run a single keyboard's output through more than a dozen of them and the results were always exciting. My brother is DJ'ing now, and he runs the output of his turntables through effects pedals as well. It's bad ass...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hardware Page: http://cineware.sytes.netGo to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  11:16:00
I can...

... Build a house.

I am currently rebuilding my own appartment. Well, the insides. Obviously, I didn't tear the whole house down, the neighbours would probably complain. But I did strip everything out of my house. I mean everything. Floors, walls, ceilings, wiring, pipes, the works. Now I'm rebuilding it from scratch, and it is gonna be cool.

The great thing about building your own house is you get everything exactly the way you want it.

Like an Ethernet connection on either side of the bed, and Ethernet in the bathroom. No, I'm not joking.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  12:29:18
Did I mention I can fix lawn mowers?Go to Top of Page
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  20:51:31
I can...

....attract girls
....Fix stereos

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  21:47:50
hehehe... we have no pets...

I can make MP3s play fast... :celine dion sounds like a chipmunk!:

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  04:52:22
I have a Cat! er wait, make that two! I also got a bird, and several fish. I dunno how, but the cats get along fine. The cats are almost afraid of the bird.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  21:45:14
I finished the shorts today, and theyre OK... I showed someone at lunch, and they didn't want to give them back... seriously, these short and skinny people... like 2 of them fit in the shorts! one in each leg!!!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  00:05:54
I can...ride my bike at supersonic speeds, given the right conditions

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  00:11:04
hehehe...
I can ride the internet at supersonic speeds... given THOSE right conditions

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  01:48:14
I can create plastic explosives, powerful projectile launchers utilizing various engines of war (IE, Torson bundle, trebuchet, cannon, etc.) smoke bombs, and other nasty things.

I used to be a "Script Kiddie" or "Packet Monkey" and did some very stupid things, and nearly ot arrested

I can alter my clothing, and fashion it from bolts of fabric, I can thread and operate a sewing machine.

I can hack macs, with great persnickitiness, and cosmetic detail, given enough time.

I can edit film, and music.

I have many other talents as well.
CCC

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.