All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 pls help me!
Author Topic  
raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  12:01:06
My dad recently found this old Sony 2x CDU561-25 CDROM drive. it has no drive rails and no audio cable. Just the drive. What do I do now to install it on my Centris 650?

ph33r my Centris 650.

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  12:08:35
Well, first, do you know if it's a SCSI or an IDE drive?

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  14:37:36
quote:

Sony 2x CDU561-25 CDROM drive

It's SCSI & requires a caddy, if it works and you just need mounting hardware, somebody is sure to post links a/o scrounging advice.

If you want a free/inexpensive, down & dirty testing procedure before spending more noney on this particular drive, just ask, if links to the info you need don't miraculously appear, I'll work on my carpal tunnel project.

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  18:18:31
Well fancy that, NEXCOMP has mounting kits. Rails, bezel, and audio cable: [url]http://www.nexcomp.com/mounting.html#7100[/url]

(FYI, the 650 uses the same mounting stuff as the IIvi, IIvx, Performa 600 and the Power Mac 7100.)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
[url="default.asp.html"]Forum[/url] moderator
[url="http://homepage.mac.com/mla68k/indextext.html"]68k Macintosh Liberation Army[/url]

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 12 Jan 2002 18:21:10Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  18:22:29
again! a random Forum Code poop-out

lets try that link again:

[url]http://www.nexcomp.com/mounting.html#7100[/url]

bleh. i give up

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
[url="default.asp.html"]Forum[/url] moderator
[url="http://homepage.mac.com/mla68k/indextext.html"]68k Macintosh Liberation Army[/url]

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 12 Jan 2002 18:24:06Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  04:09:27
I live in Sweden. btw yesterday my dad and I tested it, and there's a floppy symbol with a question mark appearing. What does that mean? And yes, we have the caddy, too.

ph33r my Centris 650.Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  08:25:29
The Question Mark on a floppy disk icon indicates that your system has no valid System Folder existing. Your going to have to reinstall the System Software to get that drive recognized as a startup drive.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  09:01:22
quote:

The Question Mark on a floppy disk icon indicates that your system has no valid System Folder existing. Your going to have to reinstall the System Software to get that drive recognized as a startup drive.

Might just be i.d. or termination problems, no mention yet of boot CD, original hdd or external devices, before, during or after testing, but now we can probably assume you've got cable & power.

One step at a time for diagnostics, more info about ph33r & questions from your end are required.

Links, info and answers will follow.

Hey Z, where are the links for basic diagnostic procedures? I'm really only familiar with info in the bound paper format.

jt (technosaur) ;-)

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 13 Jan 2002 09:02:17Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  13:20:05
power and cable were connected to it. it showed a green light. Do I have a problem with the SCSI ID numbers, maybe? I dunno how to check that out, there are some switches in the back, though, like parity and ID and stuff. hmm...what now?

k33p ph33ring 8D

ph33r my Centris 650.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  15:58:56
quote:

hmm...what now?

If the HDD (assumed to be your internal hard disk drive and to be the only HDD installed for testing purposes) was connected and powered during your test:

1. all external SCSI devices should have been disconnected

2. the ROM (C-ROM drive) should have been plugged in to the middle connector on the cable, located in between the mobo (system/motherboard) and the HDD.

3. We'll assume the HDD is configured properly, terminated and set to SCSI ID 0, if it was booting properly before the test, so:

4. Unhook the ROM's signal and power connections.

5. Boot up to verify that the HDD is still functioning properly.

6. If you are online it probably is, but if you are online using another computer, download SCSI Probe 3.5 or some other i.d. test utility and copy it to a floppy.

7. If you are online using the 650, download, install, and run a utility to verify that the internal drive is set to SCSI i.d. 0 and copy it to a floppy.

8. If you use SCSI Probe, it will also give a rough indication as to whether your SCSI chain is properly terminated.

9. If you have a bootable CD and/or a bootable floppy (the bootable disk tools floppy from the system install set for the system software your 650 is running is something you should ALWAYS have available), get them out and put them with the SCSI utility floppy.

10. Disconnect the signal & power cables from the HDD and connect them to the ROM, use exactly the same cable connector on the signal cable that was connected to the HDD for this procedure. NOT the middle one, use the one farthest from the mobo and use the power connector from the HDD also for this test.

11.If you have a bootable CD, put it in the caddy and the caddy in the drive and attempt to boot from the CD.

12. If it boots from the CD, go to step 20.

13. If the 650 won't boot from the CD, try the bootable floppy

14. If the system boots from floppy, you'll need to do the floppy shuffle (change floppies repeatedly until the mac is convinced that it can run the program on the non-system floppy and it stops telling you it wants the floppy that's not in the drive...blech!).

15. If you can run the utility go: to step 20.

20. Run the test on the floppy (I like SCSIProbe 3.5 for this test on a 650 level machine) and it should tell you what the i.d. setting is on the ROM. It's unlikely that it's set to 0 (HDD) or 7 (mobo SCSI controller).

21. If the ROM is set for either of those two that's your problem, but the test probably won't be able to tell you if it's set to 7 because that is a worst case scenario. go to step 30

30. If the ROM is setup for i.d. 1-2-3-4-5 or 6 that's not a problem, unless it conflicts with an external SCSI device that you want to reconnect after testing and installation. go to step 40.

40. Check for a flashing message that says the bus is not terminated. Whether you see it or not, you now need to figure out if your drive is terminated and make sure that it isn't.

41. If your ROM was terminated, that was your problem and more than likely you've located 2 terminators (resistor packs, they look kinda like the profile of a centipede...I'm getting too tired for this... SOMEBODY HELP) When you're absolutely sure you've identifies these packs, you'll probably need to remove them (if they're what I think they are) or find a jumper or switch to disconnect them if they or their equivalent are permanently attached. go to step 50.

50. Re-assemlble setup in the "should have been" configuration outlined above.

51. Try to reboot from and see if the something works somewhere.........

52. go to step 60.

60. Follow the advice in the link somebody probably posted while I was putting this kink in my neck.... I ain't even gonna look......

Good luck, hopefully this info will give you a start.

If the level of this post was too simplistic, I hope you and your dad are not offended and I apologize in advance.

Troubleshooting is a very one-simple-step-at-a-time-in-just-the-right-order kinda thing.

Just remember the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked AND the questions from those who refuse to learn even enough about any subject to enable them to ask an INTELLIGIBLE question, never mind an intelligent one.

This reminds me of when my 5 year old "pooter tek" helped me crack cases and installed cards (albeit pc cards) "all by myself".

jt

p.s. Any of the above is fair game, any and all correction, revision or any help available is appreciated in advance, but leave the editorializing and the schmaltzy stuff alone! I'm tired and cranky and you DON'T want to start up with me right about now.

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  19:10:14
**clap clap clap**

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  20:51:51
Indeed! FireWire, you should copy and paste that into the 68k MLA website, with Trash 80's permission.

(BTW, I love your user name, I own (and still use) a 'Trash' 80 )

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  13:05:50
Ill be back soon with a reply, hang on a sec...

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: <B>4-5</B>Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  14:48:04
*waits 1 second*

*taps fingers on desk*

oh yeah, raWr, these forums use "forum code", not HTML. instead of < and > for tags like bold, underline, italics, you use the same letters, but use brackets [ ]

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 15 Jan 2002 14:49:14Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  15:16:47
quote:

*waits 1 second*

*taps fingers on desk*

PATIENCE! We're trying to encourage good, thorough, systematic hardware diagnostic technique, which requires time, patience, and attention to detail.

raWr already does time estimates similar to code pusher types like you.

SHADDUP! >8-|

and don't encourage fictionalized padding in the fulfillment of source code commenting requirements either!

sheesh!

jt P-)

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  18:05:12
quote:

raWr already does time estimates similar to code pusher types like you.

Tee hee hee.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  20:24:08
quote:

these forums use "forum code", not HTML. instead of < and > for tags like bold, underline, italics, you use the same letters, but use brackets [ ]

appreciated the lesson though!

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  05:39:08
And the smilies use brackets as well: [ : D ] ->

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  14:44:58
quote:

And the smilies use brackets as well: [ : D ] ->

ty2u2 uu

(jt)

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Jan 2002 14:45:30Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  06:26:41
quote:

My dad recently found this old Sony 2x CDU561-25 CDROM drive. it has no drive rails and no audio cable. Just the drive. What do I do now to install it on my Centris 650?

ph33r my Centris 650.

from closed thread:
quote:

yep, the 2x Sony CD-ROM finally cracked, it is now fully operaitonal and installed on the Centris 650 owned by
yours truly. However, it didnt come with an audio cable....oh well :/

hey, raWr!

is this the one you finally cracked? it's working?
if it is, it's newsworthy, and might be our first liberated peripheral (internal?).

jt

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  10:26:29
No Trash. My dad found two others of the exact same model! On one of them, the lid wasn't working properly, so my dad fixed it with a....thing... from one of the other ones. It works well, tho, but all I will use it for is getting BIHIIIIG proggies on the Centris.

PS the PowerMac is also in the workz, just gotta find an IDE drive for it...looks like that was it's faulty piece of eq.

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  10:32:27
quote:

No Trash. My dad found two others of the exact same model! On one of them, the lid wasn't working properly, so my dad fixed it with a....thing... from one of the other ones.

it's still very cool to make one functional drive from three landfill candidates, great job!

jt

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  11:55:12
My Dad's great that way, he's very much into technical things

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.