PowerBook
 is this possible ?
Author Topic  
tashidundup
Starting Member

10 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2003 :  08:49:15

Hi,

The Modem/Printer port of my PB is connected to com1 of my PC via a null serial cable. The modem of my pc is in com3 and it can browse the net. I am running XP Pro in the PC.

Is there any way that I can browse the net in my mac, via the above configuration?

What are ways that I can get internet on my PB without the use of a modem or a ethernet card. In short, how can I share the connection on my PC to this mac ?

Thanks

I have a PB 190cs/ 24MB RAM/ OS 8.1

Edited by - tashidundup on 18 Jan 2003 08:51:12

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2003 :  10:40:44
Without ethernet or modem, probably not in your current situation. If you got an ethernet PCMCIA card for your powerbook, and an ethernet card for the PowerBook and you configured things, you could use the PC as an internet server using a crossover cable. Or you could get a switch and two patch or straight-through cables.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2003 :  17:31:44
nope... but please do tell... does your PC have ethernet? and what powerbook do you have?

it simply is not possible to do TCP/IP over serial cables, and even less possible when a PEEEESEEEE is on the other end... all windoze can do with it's funny stuff is like... file transfers... (done this in win 3.1 BTW)

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

tashidundup
Starting Member

10 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  11:53:19

OK.

Here is my question.

I have a network card in the PC, and I connect to the net via the modem. OK, now, how do i use appletalk to connect and what applications do i use ?

anyone, give me the cable diagram too.

I have a PB 190cs/ 24MB RAM/ OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  13:07:18
Okay, tashidundup. Welcome to the 68kmla and good luck on your journey! Here's how I get the Internet from my W2K PC to my Macs:

First of all, I don't know how to do this using AppleTalk, or if it's even possible, but maybe it is, I don't know, but in any case, it's not the practical way to go here. If you're not sharing files between multiple Macs, turn off AppleTalk. Otherwise, leave it on and don't worry about it in this scenereo.

To start off, you'll have to start some routing and DNS/DHCP services on the PC. XP makes this pretty easy, and I'm not going to get too deep into it here, but what you need to do is enable "internet connection sharing" in your dial-up connection's settings. This should automatically set your PC's Ethernet card IP to 192.168.0.1. That's pretty much it for the PC end of things.

Now, on your PB 190cs, you'll need some kind of Ethernet adapter. You can probably find more info on lowendmac.com or something. Anyhow, go into the TCP/IP Control Panel and set it to Connect via: Ethernet. Then, below that, set it to Configure: using DHCP server. Then close TCP/IP and save your settings. You should now be able to get web pages on your Mac!

Pretty easy, eh? Some more pieces of software you might want to look into are DAVE for your Mac and PC MacLAN for your PC. DAVE allows your Mac to connect to shared drives and printers on your PC using Microsoft's SMB protocol and NETBIOS and share your Mac's files and printers out as SMB shares. PC MacLAN is just the opposite. It allows your PC to connect to AppleTalk shares and share out drives and printers with AppleTalk.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

The Lightning Stalker

68k Macs liberated so far:

Cat Piss Performa 631CD
ThriftMac LC III

PPC Macs:
Road Apple 5200CD
Performa 6400/180
PowerMac 7600/120 (225 Mhz upgrade)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc (5.25" Built-in Floppy)
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.