tashidundup
Starting Member

10 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  12:06:13

Hi,

please help me with the following issues:
I have PB190cs with 24MB Ram and OS 8.1

#1.
I installed Appleworks. Now whenever i open a document from PC, Maclink 9 says it knows Clariswork only and not Appleworks, and that I should get an updated MacLink Plus. Please let me know if there is any updated version of MacLink Plus that works on this 68k machine and recognizes Appleworks.

#2.
What is the best PIM that can be used? What PIM do you recommend and are using ?

#3.
I want to keep track of time of at least 5 cities worldwide. Please let me know any such software. I don't need something that does via internet, as I don't have net in the powerbook, and i am using a null cable to transfer data around.

#4.
The only game that I have now is "prince of persia 1". I would like to have more games. I would like to have doom and duke3, chess and poker, video poker. Please let me know the URL's (that work) for downloading.

#5.
I want to have internet access for this PB, and the only thing i have now is a pc connected to the mac via a null serial cable to tranfer data around. Is it possible to run internet via a null connection ?

#6.
How often to use the battery? I always have my power plugged in. Is it good for the batteries ? or do i have to use batteries maybe once every week ? What is the best way to take care of batteries? What is the concept behind battery recondition ? How often should I do it ? I did it on OS 7.5, do I have to do again when I have 8.1 now ?

#7.
I want to know if there is any way to use the Internet via serial null cable. If I can transfer files to/fro via null cable from my mac to the pc and vice versa, why not internet? I use StarGate software to transfer software.

Please someone help me get internet in this pb.

There is a PC software called DS-Link that works via serial port and clients can get the internet. Does it work? how2 setup ?
For example, i use DSLink to get internet access to my psion revo.

Help me on this please

Edited by - tashidundup on 17 Jan 2003 12:09:52

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  12:52:04
quote:
The only game that I have now is "prince of persia 1". I would like to have more games. I would like to have doom and duke3, chess and poker, video poker. Please let me know the URL's (that work) for downloading.

http://mac.the-underdogs.org/

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

tashidundup
Starting Member

10 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  13:31:54
http://mac.the-underdogs.org/ -- all games there works on 68k?

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  14:26:51
Yes. All games there will run on a 68k Mac.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  14:39:08
1) AppleWorks is pretty much the same thing as ClarisWorks once was. If you need to transfer a file between the computers, save it as the latest version of ClarisWorks you can (I think v5.0) and open it on the other end. If your using AppleWorks 6, you will get a message saying that the file has been updated to work with AppleWorks 6.

2) On the Mac side, either a Newton or anything running the PalmOS are good choices. Just remember if you get a Palm device, you need a Serial Cradle to use it (Normally, they come with USB Cradles in box).

3) I recall there was a program that did this a long time ago, but I don't recall the name. If you get a Palm, you can keep track of 4 cities,but unfortunetly not 5.

4) As mentioned before Mac-Underdogs is a good place to stop and grab some decent games for 68K.

5) With the 190cs, there is basicly 2 ways to get the Internet directly in: over a modem (dialup) or over Ethernet (broadband). If you have a dialup service, connect the phone line to the built in modem or a modem PCMCIA card, and input your provider information in. If you have broadband, you need to purchase a AAUI Transiever (roughly $10) and a router if you don't already have one. Then connect everything together, and your off and running. Just so you know, running the Internet on a 68K Powerbook is god-awful slow, and may not be worth the time and effort.

6) You should use your battery sometimes just to make sure it still holds a good charge. Having the power plugged in all the time is OK, and is not necessarily bad for the batteries. If you are using your Powerbook for months on end without using the batteries, then you might see some depleation of battery life.

Battery Care:
- Keep batteries away from open flame/intense heat
- Protect metal contacts from small metal objects; failure to do so may cause a shorting out of the battery
- If you are planning on leaving your Powerbook in storage for more than 2 months, remove the battery from the Powerbook and store seperatly. If you don't, battery life will decrease.

Battery Reconditioning is a fairly simple concept. Inside the battery is a microchip designed to regulate how much power is left within the battery and how high to fill it when charging. Over time (after numerous times charging), the battery will slowly start to loose the ability to charge to full capacity. This is known as the "memory effect". Reconditioning the battery basicly goes in, resets the microchip, and will give you back most of the life. The memory effect is a problem commonly seen on Powerbook 140-180c model computers. Your 190cs shouldn't see this too often, but now you know just in case. You don't need to do this unless you start noticing signifigant differences in battery life. And no, you don't have to recondition every time you install a new OS, so your already set to go.

7) I'm not familiar with null-modems and the StarGate software, so that answer you will have to obtain from someone else.

Hope this helps

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

tashidundup
Starting Member

10 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  21:52:26
PIM -- I meant Personal Information Management software , where I can keep schedules, expenses, todo, diary, notes, bookmarks, calender, planner, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  22:46:36
hey captian, just a bit of info, powerbook 190s dont have built in ethernet or modem, you need pc cards for that, so you dont need an aaui trancever.

as for games, check out www.hot.ee/macgames they have some good stuff there too.

anyway, good luck with your 190cs, and have a lot of fun, 68k powerbooks are enjoyable things to own, I have a 540c.

CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2003 :  17:45:29
(this would make GREAT MLA FAQ content BTW)

for the use of those batteries...
I would say taht you should use them whenever you feel like taking your powerbook with you somewhere... personally I don't have a functioning PowerBook... I have 3 desktop macs, (2 PPC) and one PowerBook 100...

the 190CS is an 040 PowerBook...
how much RAM does it have? because I ran internet software on my Quadra840AV and it often went faster than my iMac did...

course... back to the RAM... the quadra840 had 64, whereas the iMac had only 32MB at that time...

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.