All Forums
 Lounge
 where to liberate macs in LA?
Author Topic  
mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  15:17:26
Anyone of you from the LA area and know a good place to score 68k Macs and parts? I'm in Pasadena where the thrift stores are pretty bare and what they do have is over priced.

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  15:59:38
Tell me about it. I've checked out all the thrift stores on Colorado Blvd. and if they have anything, the prices are crazy. It's actually pretty tough in L.A. County because there's a lot of people who know about macs and will snatch them up just as soon as the thrift stores get them.

I've found that the best cities to find stuff in, however, are Burbank and North Hollywood because there are so many Film and Video production houses that dump their old hardware. A few of the systems I've bought from thrift shops actually had the original receipts from when they were bought by Disney in 1990/etc.

I work in NoHo and there's a thrift store right next to my building where I have a pretty good rapport with the people who work there. That's the first step, get to know the proprieters and let them know you're looking for macs. They'll let you know when they get new stuff, and they'll often given you a discount if you continually buy stuff from them.

So far that's my only hookup, but I am looking into other avenues. My mother-in-law is a teacher down in San Diego and she used to get me SE's and others, but I haven't been down to SD in a while so I haven't had a chance to get anything through her lately. There is also the possibility of government surplus warehouses/auctions. When I lived in Miami there was a great warehouse that sold old county owned goods for next to nothing, and I'm hoping to find something like it here.

Anyway, glad to see a local on the boards! I have to get around to spreading more of our flyers around the LA college campuses (etc.) to get more LA people on here.

P.S. - I forgot, there use to be a pretty cool used computer store called "Re-Compute" on Van Nuys Blvd. in Panorama City that had a boat load of 68k's. However, they went under within the last year and I haven't been able to track down who they sold all their remaining inventory to, or whether they just trashed it.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 5
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 11 Jan 2002 16:16:26Go to Top of Page

clancychem
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  22:23:40
Hi, I am new to the board and saw this topic and thought I could help.

A little bit further north on Van Nuys in Panorama City is a Goodwill Computer Center where they usually have some 68k and PPC Macs in stock. I think they are located two blocks past Roscoe Blvd in the shopping center on the right. That's where I liberated my Quadra 950 about half a year ago. I was also able to score some nubus cards: a RasterOps 24STV video card with Moviepak daughtercard, a Farallon 590 network card, and PLI QuickSCSI 2 SCSI adapter card. I was also able to find a Daystar PDS cache card, at least that's what I think it is. The Quadra had 52 MB RAM and 1 GB Hard Drive with a bunch of graphics applications still on it from the last owner. There are several other Goodwill Computer Stores in the LA area listed on http://www.lagoodwill.org/ . Along with a keyboard and mouse, it all cost about $50-60.

You could also try Salvation Army Stores. I found a Quicktake 150 with its box and manuals, for just $24, at the one located at Roscoe and Canoga in Canoga Park.

You might also try USC's Surplus Store in downtown LA. It's located on the Grand Ave side of USC's off campus parking center. I've seen some macs in there, but I am not sure of their prices.

I hope this can help you out.

Sean

68k Macs Liberated: 1

Edited by - clancychem on 11 Jan 2002 22:24:53Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  17:48:51
The computer center inside that Goodwill (it's right off of Van Nuys and Roscoe by the WalMart) no longer exists. I remember going there when it first opened, however the last time i went was a few months ago and it was gone.

But hey, glad to see another local member on here! Do you belong to any MUGs? I've been thinking of joining the one here in Canyon Country where I live and spreading the word about our Army.

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 12 Jan 2002 18:23:24Go to Top of Page

clancychem
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  02:33:46
Yes, there is a Goodwill Store across Roscoe from Wal-Mart, but further up Van Nuys a block or two to the north is the Goodwill Computer Store. Its across Van Nuys Blvd from Pep Boys. I just picked up a Performa 6320CD there tonight for $25.

No, I am not a member of any MUG. I am kind of new to the whole Mac scene, and I thought that I might join one in the future.

Sean

68k Macs Liberated: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  15:24:49
Ahh, I see, they moved it! Cool, I'm going to have to check that place out.

666th poster to the

Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  19:42:51
Okay, I didn't have a chance to go to the Goodwill Computer Center, but I did find a motherlode of 68k's at a place called, simply, "Thrift Store" in Burbank. It's at 6343 Sonora on the corner of Sonora and San Fernando, on the south border between Burbank and Glendale. Here's a complete list of Apple hardware I saw there:

2x LC II's
2x IIci's (both had cache cards and no nubus cards, one had no RAM and the other had 4 SIMMS of unknown size)
2x Performa 550's (one was complete, the other was missing the Mobo and any HDD's)
1x IIsi
1x LC475
1x Quadra 630 (no CD-ROM)

also...

4x apple RGB Monitors
1x Apple Multiscan 14" (built-in speakers)
1x Apple Personal Laser Writer
1x Apple Personal Laser Writer LS
A least 12 Apple ADB keyboards (ADK's, ADB 1 & 2's, Extendeds, etc.)
1x Macally ADB extended keyboard
1x Apple Graphite USB keyboard and mouse (from the graphite iMac and the first gen. G4 towers)

The most expensize item is th USB keyboard and mouse, which they wanted $30 for. Everything else is definitely $20 or less. There were alot of power cables, but I didn;t see any ADB mice and only a couple ADB or serial cables. There was also a serial PhoneNet adapter floating around.

Oh yeah, and you're probably wondering what I bought? I nabbed a Quadra 840 A/V for $14.

666th poster to the

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  19:50:29
quote:

Tell me about it. I've checked out all the thrift stores on Colorado Blvd.

Me too. I live 2 blocks away from Colorado. I found that the Salvation Army on Del Mar in Pasadena has many computers, but no 68k's so far.

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  21:12:20
quote:

Oh yeah, and you're probably wondering what I bought? I nabbed a Quadra 840 A/V for $14.

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*another deep breath*

congrats, cinemafia! great find!!

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  13:49:30
I'm thinking of going back to buy the Graphite USB keyboard/mouse, as it would match my black 7500 better than the Bondi one I'm using. Hmmm...

666th poster to the

Total 68K Macs liberated: 6

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  10:58:02
Okay, I went back again (as you may have read in another thread) and scored a ColorClassic for $19. I have to make two points of caution, though. If you go to this Thrift Store, remember two things:

#1 - The guy who runs the computer "department" frowns on opening up the cases to see what's inside. I'm not telling you not to, just don't be surprised when he asks you to stop.

#2 - There's a shelf with a power strip labelled as a testing station. If you use it, and the guy who runs the department sees you using it, the store will charge you more for the item. Again, I'm not telling you not to test the stuff, just do it discreetly and quickly and you can still get the "as-is" prices.

As far as new macs, last I checked they had a SE with a screen dimmer and a 256-grey hand-op ADB scanner in additional to the other stuff I listed.

666th poster to the

Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 21 Jan 2002 11:00:53Go to Top of Page

Captain Video
Starting Member

14 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  23:23:39
Hey, I am down here in Orange county. I found out that my company tossed old Macs when we moved. You might just approach electronics companies who use Macs and ask if they have anything. Often they don't know what to do, so they just put them in a storage area... and forget them. We make video hardware, and we have old computers everywhere.

You also might approach the local colleges. UCLA for instance.

Most every Kinkos has a few Macs, maybe the employees take them when they get old, but who knows?

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2002 :  09:38:42
Wow, Cap'n! All thi time you've been posting on the MAF I didn't even realized you were right over in OC. Cool!

666th poster to the

Total 68K Macs liberated: 7

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.