LC / Performa
 20-pin slot in an LC?
Author Topic  
mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  15:02:34
I'm new to the LC.
When I popped mine open I was able to identify everything on the motherboard except the mysterious 20-pin slot next to the pram battery.
What is this thing?

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  06:36:11
LC PDS, I believe.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  09:03:59
quote:

mysterious 20-pin slot next to the pram battery.

Which LC? Describe the connector. The only 20 pin connector on my 475 is the floppy interface. The LC2 add-on to the LC slot is an 18 "pin" female connector. Was the MC88920 hacked with a socket or is is still surface mounted?

jt

p.s. Where'd that star come fro.... wait a minute.... you guys are ranking members by number of posts.... gotta cut down on these long replies and cran....nah!

p.p.s. Great forum folks, I've learned a lot here already, gotta go see if a battery swap will resurrect my '475 and whack the video on my '605. It never would have crossed my mind that PIZZA BOXES GOT BATTERY POWERED VIDEO CIRCUITRY! No wonder the P-RAM cells only hold up for three years. The lengths to which Apple will go to further cheapen their power supplies never ceases to amaze me.

p.p.p.s. Just to be a contrarian, I'm going to see how long I can avoid getting another star by limiting my responses to one rambling, incoherent rant per day and then it will be easier for for anybody who gets annoyed to igno...nah!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 12 Jan 2002 09:35:15Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  21:38:19
If this is an original LC (68020 processor), what would be the second floppy connector. As you may recall, the LC was an educational model, and back then, schools could not afford to put Hard Drives in every system, so the could be ordered with dual floppys so kids can run the system and app off one, and store the classes files on the other.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  21:50:37
quote:

dual floppys so kids can run the system and app off one, and store the classes files on the other.

Good one, Z, this was driving me crazy (well, bringing on an episode anyway), never saw/heard of 'em. Did the K-12 dual floppy versions have a second opening, or did they use a stock lid & manual-eject drive for system disk security?

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  22:47:00
yes. there were two openings. if a hard drive was installed, then there would be little cover over the slot (since there were only 2 bays)

A cool mod would be to put an LC in a custom made case and have 2 floppie drives and an HD. well cool for me, anyhow

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  15:55:07
OK, floppy connector, got ya. Can anything else be plugged in there? If I knew what the connector was called I could start tracking down info about other devices to connect there.
Think maybe it could take a cdrom?!

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  06:56:50
quote:

OK, floppy connector, got ya. Can anything else be plugged in there?

Think maybe it could take a cdrom?!

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1

I hope you were able to decode my cryptic posts.....
*feeling a little sheepish, considers lookin' back & cleanin' up his act, decides it sounds too much like work* I was so wound up Sun-Mon AM that I ended up really tired and was logged on, killing time here rather than myself out in the shop. I had ASSumed from your posts, that your main machine was the "LC" and that a coprocessor might be useful to a "mathgeek". So I jumped in when mkelley offered a free (+shipping) IISi/monitor to the 68kMLA cadre. There were actually enough clues in your posts at that point that my ASSumptions look kinda lame in retrospect. I should have figured it out, but hadn't, so finding out that you had a rockin' PB and that mkelley also has what just might be the PERFECT 12" BW topper for a K-12 TWO FREAKIN' floppy LC (1st rev.????) that takes the ***think I got one in the stack in the basement or in a box around here somewhere I'll check if my buddy wants it back and am I really feeling that sheepish? better log off quick before the monitor starts moving around faster and the last semblance of coherence fades away and...*** 1x CD-ROM (external: plugs into the Female DB-25 Backplane Connector and would be a kick @$$/10 if SCSI chained to a HUGE beige/white box with a full or half height, 20 MB range HDD inside) with the Apple logo on it, really rocked me back on my heels and I started babbling like the forum idiot 'cuz I'd just put dibs in on a copro for an underequipped math....

btw: none of my ASSumptions should be interpreted as implying any reflection upon you! I assume both ends of the ........

My hat's off to you, mathgeek, you really got me!

SCOREBOARD RESULTS:
mathgeek-several points
technosaur-a corresponding negative number if the OS doesn't crash on input, if it does, reboot, double your score, and set mine back to 0.

jt ;-)

Hope this one clears things up and I promise not to employ obscure literary devices in future posts, now I'm really annoyed with myself, but editing sounds too much like the work I'm neglecting.

I lied, had to come back and fix just one little booboo, back to work!

...maybe an addendum would be easier for this one.....

I had also incorrectly interpreted your revelation being left-brained as a challenge a/o implying that I might suffer from ....

it wasn't, but I decided to let my last booboo remain as was (to push FW's buttons again) and I fixed another one instead.

ttfn

jt :-)

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Jan 2002 06:59:14

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Jan 2002 07:08:26

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Jan 2002 07:24:19Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  08:13:36
yes. you've defintely used up all of your coherence

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  09:56:39
[quote]
yes. you've defintely used up all of your coherence
FireWire is fast

Thanx, I was really hoping you'd chime in with a comic relief assist, so I took a break and logged on for your customarily, and eagerly anticipated, quick response.

Consider my previous post a tounge in cheek and well (if not cleverly) disguised, sincere expression of shock, jealously, regret for jumping to erronious conclusions and an admission of overlooking the obvious.

We got a Navy? Mathgeek just hulled me below the waterline, give him a promotion.

Do I gain or lose points for a posting that's cryptic enough to make you read it more than once, but just compelling enough that you actually try to comprehend the meaning of a message disguised as gibberish?

And what's conversion factor for senseless babbling and annoying trolls?

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  10:50:02
glad to be of service...

well, you're far from being a troll (if thats what you're asking). Your "senseless blabber" is always on topic and usually very helpful to the discussion. TiMacLover on the otherhand...

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  08:36:31
The floppy drive connector on any Mac MoBo is tied directly to the IWM/SWIM chip, and thus can only be used for floppy drives.

I wish I COULD put a CDROM ont that connection... Mac II with 2 internal CDROMs... mmm...

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  20:39:36
quote:

Your "senseless blabber" is always on topic and usually very helpful to the discussion. TiMacLover on the otherhand...

ha ha, that wacky TiMacLover! Some one ought to tell him that his poetic license has expired. That guy has a serious case of the crazy mouth. At least Trash80toG-4 makes me wonder what herbs he's into. I don't think TiMacLover can claim that as an excuse.

mathgeek

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  01:37:04
No one likes me im comic relief! The guy everyone loves to hate. Id write more but i got(o my im goin butcher this) carpoltunel syndrome so i cant write for long periods or i get pain in hands and wrisks. I could just tell my Classic what to type tho.....

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napoleon

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  08:05:13
Trash80: In your defense, I like your extensive knowledge of some of these systems, and you actually write lots on the subject so people get all the info.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  10:49:32
quote:

No one likes me im comic relief! The guy everyone loves to hate.

hey, I never said I hated you! You do bring a lot of info to the forum, it's just hard for me and others to decipher sometimes. I was just goofing. No harm intended.

mathgeek

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.