All Forums
 PowerBook
 All white Powerbook 100
Author Topic  
AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  07:57:33
I have heard mention of a limited edition Powerbook 100 with a white case before but I have never been able to find a picture of one or any technical information on such a Powerbook before. Does anyone know if this Powerbook was actually made, or have any information on it?

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  17:00:23
I could have sworn there was a pic of it on AppleFritter, but apparently not. As a matter of fact, I can't seem to find a pic of if anywhere right now, although I know I've seen one before. It's a pretty rare animal, though, as you can imagine.

Essentially, though, the white PowerBook 100, like the BabyMac and the Cassie keyboard were part of the "SnowWhite" scheme that Apple was prototyping back the late 80's/early 90's. No production models of any of these were made, as far as I know, and are highly sought after collectibles.

Of course, taking a look at the new iBook and iMac, one can see that the "SnowWhite" project seems to have finally been realized.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 5
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 11 Jan 2002 17:03:18Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  17:32:37
Thanks for the info.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  18:01:32
quote:

I could have sworn there was a pic of it on AppleFritter, but apparently not. As a matter of fact, I can't seem to find a pic of if anywhere right now, although I know I've seen one before. It's a pretty rare animal, though, as you can imagine.

Essentially, though, the white PowerBook 100, like the BabyMac and the Cassie keyboard were part of the "SnowWhite" scheme that Apple was prototyping back the late 80's/early 90's. No production models of any of these were made, as far as I know, and are highly sought after collectibles.

Of course, taking a look at the new iBook and iMac, one can see that the "SnowWhite" project seems to have finally been realized.

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 11 Jan 2002 17:03:18

Now you guys have gotten me to waste time searching around for more stuff I can't ever have. So I find something unrelated, bu inspirational and have to figure out how to point toit,investing even more time on developing a computer related RSI, when I'm sure most of you have already been to both those pages.

jt:html newbie

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  20:56:05
I think you are referring to the White Powerbook 170, or 10th Aniversary Mac. Those are really rare.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  21:26:10
Thanks, Z. I forgot it was a 170, not a 100. No wonder I couldn't find it!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Jan 2002 :  23:09:42
quote:

Thanks for the info.

AnubisTTP

No, thank you for the dis-info, A. Look at the Skeleton Duo I found trying to locate the '100. They've got a "snow white" and a directory full of all kinds of wild hardware.

http://www.powerbook.org/mobiledog/gurentai/museum/skeletonDuo_4.html
http://www.powerbook.org/mobiledog/gurentai/museum/snow_white2.html
http://www.powerbook.org/mobiledog/gurentai/museum/okazarimenu.html#pb2400g3

Serendipity's a wonderful thing, thanks again.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 11 Jan 2002 23:10:51Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  08:01:21
So it is actually a Powerbook 170.Now I know what to ask the geine for when he tells me I can not use my third wish to ask for more wishes.

While we are talking about powerbooks I should show this flat panel Legomac I built

http://www.angelfire.com/geek/vecon/syn/legomac.html

AnubisTTP

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  09:07:55
quote:

while we are talking about powerbooks I should show this flat panel Legomac I built

Should have shown it before, awsome!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  17:45:09
Very cool, Anubis, but of you're thinking of submitting it to appleFritter, don't use the word "Lego". Try "multi-colored building blocks" instead.

666th poster to the

Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  21:01:45
quote:

Try "multi-colored building blocks" instead.

"black building blocks" would be more appropriate seeing as how color is nowhere to be found on that hack. Do I see some blue on the upper right hand corner of the unit, or am I slightly insane?

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  21:42:12
You're insane.

Yes, and be careful when you mention the Lego Corporation. They are to be refered to as the "evil block company", for legal reasons.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  07:48:46
Actually he is not insane, there is a clear blue plastic door covering the power button. I guess I should change the name of it to the Brickmac or the Blockmac. Hmm I should probably not call it the brickmac, people might think I am just talking about the Mac Portable...

AnubisTTP

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  08:34:50
quote:

...Hmm I should probably not call it the brickmac, people might think I am just talking about the Mac Portable...

I think the portable was called the "cinder block", remember, it had a handle. Bricks are usually way too light and compact as compared to the portable.

Think different... throw some jpg's of the Lego product lineup on it, pick cine's brain on making a demo tapes, and see if you can get the F.A.O. Schwarz/Lego hegemony to cough up $$$$ (or toys & exposure).

jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.