Lounge
 Earthlink Mailstation = Apple eMate...?
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  05:44:57
I've been seeing the tv commercial for this thing at least once a day...and I can't help but think it looks a little bit too much like an eMate 300!

It's also a waste of $50...I guaruntee the thing becomes obsolete inside of six months.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  06:40:54
Humm i wonder, but i would like it.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  06:46:59
welll if it's only $50... then it was obsolete before it went to the drawing board... if it were $51 though... COMPLETELY different story

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  11:46:56

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  12:09:37
My friendly neighborhood KMart has carried an item similar to this for some time now. They recently began carrying this version, I don't know if they are selling though. It's kinda interesting, but question is, If I buy it today will it be supported a year from now? I'm not sure it its worth the additional cost ($9.95 a month) to my earthlink account, at that price I'd be paying more than I would if I had AOHell and we know that isn't the smartest move...

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2003 :  22:33:44
hmm... if it cost less (to buy uthe thing) it would make an interesting dissection... if it could do more... it would actually be useful... and if it had a 68k.. we'd all be drooling over it would we not?

what I think is that one of us should get an Apple SetTop Box and see what the deal with that thing is... rumor has it it's just an LC475 motherboard... and we all know how much most of us love those things!!! I can just see myself passing it off to the family as a cable box... "umm... yeah.. all new good cable boxes lately have keyboards, onebutton mice and external SCSI peripherals..."

"it's the latest trend to do your homework on your cablebox"
... now just need the software toake advantage of whatever special features I'm sure are there... in fact! need to make MacOS run on it! WHEEE

.ME goes to research

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 02 Jan 2003 :  06:47:45
I have several of the Apple set top boxes, but apparently there are several different variations, with different roms, and the ones that I have do not have the roms that allow them to boot the Mac OS. They are 68K based though, and they have all of the normal Mac ports.

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:22Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 02 Jan 2003 :  11:23:46
quote:

If I buy it today will it be supported a year from now? I'm not sure it its worth the additional cost ($9.95 a month) to my earthlink account, at that price I'd be paying more than I would if I had AOHell and we know that isn't the smartest move...

America Offline, BLECH! How do you like Earthlink? I'm thinking about getting a new dialup account for personal use as a backup to my DSL account, do they really support 68k macs with the 2.x pipeline software?

Are you sure it's 9.95 in addition to your regular account? It looks like it only costs 9.95/month to set it up independently, it might not be as much if you already have an account or they may require a standard account in addition to the posted gift info. bleh!

jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.