All Forums
 68k Conquests
 A massive victory has been won!
Author Topic  
GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 07 Jan 2002 :  19:18:32
My brothers and sisters, the 68k Mac Liberation Army has been victorious yet again! Our reserves at U of T, pressed into service but going willingly into battle, have on this day liberated many old Macs from the ignominy of disuse and disrepair!

I have yet to actually sort through the entire mess and find out what works, but I did a visual inventory and here's what I found:

1 - LC 475
2 - LC III's with Ethernet cards
1 - LC
1 - Classic
5 - SE's of various configurations
1 - ColorSync 17" monitor
5 - 14" monitors, including a Multiple Scan 14
2 - UMAX SCSI scanners (an Astra 610S and an Astra 1220S)
3 - really old hard drives (we're talking 5.25" 20MB here)
1 - really old SyQuest drive (not sure what size)
1 - Kensington Turbo Mouse (ADB)
a whole mess of keyboards, mice, and various sundry cables

I will go through and figure out what's what, and then I'll post a more detailed mission report here. In the meantime, know that your reserve forces at U of T are always ready for action!

(Note that, until I know what works and what doesn't, I'm leaving my .sig unmodified.)

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 4
(as of November 8, 2001)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 07 Jan 2002 :  20:48:55
*pats GORDOOM on back* Good job, Commander GORDOOM. The 68k Macintosh Liberation Army is proud.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Jan 2002 :  22:46:10
Very proud! You liberated quite a mangy slough of impverished, down-trodden prisoners of neglect!

Hey, did you get the IIci yet?

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 5
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 12 Jan 2002 :  19:41:30
Where did you find them and how did you get them?

General LeeMac M.A.C ( Mac Action Commando)
Macs Liberated 0001
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  11:42:10
It's just the old classic story... they're lying around, someone gets tired of them and decides he wants to get rid of them, and I get wind and manage to score them instead! The specifics are these:

One of the professors of biochemistry at U of T was going on sabbatical, and before he left he decided to clean out his labs and office. As part of the clean-out, he was getting rid of some old Macs that he had lying around. Now my girlfriend is in one of his classes, and she got wind of his plan and told him about me, and so he agreed to let us know when he was done cleaning. And so he did, we went and wandered over, and... whoa! What a haul!

And to append my report of earlier, it seems that all of the machines are at least functional. There's a whole mess of dead PRAM batteries and nonfunctional floppy drives, but other than that just about everything's in working order! I'll go through and fix up what I can, and then if I have any specific parts needs, I'll post them to the trading forum.

GORDOOM
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  12:50:21
quote:

It's just the old classic story... my girlfriend is in one of his classes, and she got wind of his plan and told him about me, and so he...

That's not an old story, that's a fishing......

...having a supportive girlfriend who takes such an an active role in this kind of hobby/avocation/endeavor is a WHOPPER!

If its not, she's more priceless than woz's wirewrap prototypes from the garage era!

jt

btw: what's the html code for a green, mr. bill, lookin' pucker face with tears streaming out of HUGE eyes. The www has just rendered .txt emoticons from the internet age obsolescent.

I really may have to change my handle to technosaur...

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  20:46:11
quote:

That's not an old story, that's a fishing [sic]......

...having a supportive girlfriend who takes such an an active role in this kind of hobby/avocation/endeavor is a WHOPPER!

What, you don't believe me?
*pretend-offended look* How can you not believe me?

In all seriousness, though, we discovered the stash by accident in one of the labs, and then she approached the professor and found out what was going on. And it was she that he contacted when he had finished his cleaning-out.

As for her attitude... well, she regards my current stash (which has taken over my room) with a mixture of about two-thirds amusement, one-fifth mild exasperation, and the rest... well, I think she enjoys it more than she cares to admit.

quote:

If its not, she's more priceless than woz's wirewrap prototypes from the garage era!

*smiles warmly, letting his entire face light up*
Now, what do you honestly think I'm going to say in response to that?

GORDOOM
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  17:32:45
'nuff said, congrats.

jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.