USA
36 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2002 :  07:16:54
Grabbed just seconds before it would have been thrown (literally) away:

LCIII
160 Mb HDD
8 Mb RAM
Sonic Ethernet card

I was told "it may or may not work". Plugged in, fired up, works like a charm. This is my first "pizza box" Mac, too. Now to get it into the house without the S.O. noticing....

-Chad

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2002 :  15:26:30
Wow! Welcome to the LC III club! That NIC really rounds it out as a nice score. I wish I had a NIC for mine, but I'm working on it.

I just got it yesterday from a local thrift store. $5 on half price Monday. Too much, if you ask me. It's got the 80 Meg HD and 16M RAM upgrade for a total of 20M. When I first got it home, it rang with the chimes of death. It turned out to be the first thing I tried, apparently the 16M SIMM wasn't seated properly or developed corrosion or something. When I got that fixed (took a couple of tries), it booted right up to 7.5! I don't think it's been hardly used at all. Hardly any dust inside! PRAM battery was dead and the new one was $12 at Radio Shack! That's the most expensive stupid little battery I've ever seen! It's made in Israel, so go figure.
I'm planning on using it for a mail server or something, but it's awful slow on 7.5.5. Maybe a coprocessor will help or something. It takes the 68882. They come in several different speeds, but I don't know which one is right for the LC III. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
I was also thinking about chipping it to 33 MHz, but since I'm planning on using it as a server, I don't know if that would be such a good idea because it would be on all the time. Someone else on here probably knows more than me. I'm just getting into this little cutie Any sugguestions would really be appreciated.

The Lightning Stalker

68k Macs liberated so far:

Cat Piss Performa 631CD
ThriftMac LC IIIGo to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2002 :  21:00:17
I've got a similar model too and they are cool, execept I've got a Apple II card in mine. I wish I had cause for a e-net card, but cable access is a bit high-brow still. The S.A.F. isn't there yet. I like the low-tech vibe of 68k's I keep them around for that very reason. My spouse doesn't understand, but then again she likes me being home almost every night of the week ;) Enjoy your finds!

To see my PM 6400, here:

http://www.pbase.com/image/9129025

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...

Edited by - slomac636 on 18 Dec 2002 21:38:17

Edited by - slomac636 on 18 Dec 2002 21:39:22Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2002 :  12:24:24
Apple II card! [violent jealousy boils up]

Nice 6400 setup! Is that the /180 or /200?

The Lightning Stalker

Cat Piss Performa 631CD
ThriftMac LC IIIGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2002 :  14:07:33
Yes, welcome to the LCIII club. The LCIII was my first Mac, and still is a good machine. Even though old Macs are punished a lot, there are still a lot of the old pizzabox LCs that are still hard at work educating, entertaining, creating, and serving. There probably aren't as many 386s still around and hard at work! Also, my LC475's video chip beats the crap out of the video card in my Linux box. 16 bit colour at 832x624 on an AppleVision 1710.....ahhhh lovely.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2002 :  15:04:33
Its a 6400/180 I'm debating the purchase of a G3/400 L2 card for it, or just going for it and getting a B&W G3 or maybe G4 (Sawtooth) I know the L2 card is the cheaper option, but for what I'm doing, (Photoshop, music production) it may be better to go to a faster system altogether, but for now, I'm quite happy with what I got. I d want to add a USB card though, so I can use the FB scanner. Thanks for looking, BTW, did you look at the other photos?

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2002 :  01:09:50
I'd really try and save up some more cash if I were you. Even if you do upgrade it to a G3 you are going to be limited to 128MB of RAM which will become a big problem. Why not go for a Beige G3? Easy to upgrade, many parts can be carried over to newer machines, RAM is cheaper and it's not going to cost a lot more than a L2 G3 upgrade. After that I'd go for a sawtooth. They're good upgraders too (B/W G3's are strangely lacking in CPU upgrade) and have an AGP slot.

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2002 :  09:05:07
I agree. Buy the G3. To get your 6400 where you want it, you'll have to buy:

L2 G3 upgrade card
USB/firewire card
Accelerated PCI video card
New HD

You would still be limited to 136 MB RAM, and all your slots would be full. No room for a PCI audio card or anything.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

MacLC
Starting Member

Sweden
24 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  07:59:03
I guess most of my Macs in my custardy were saved from destruction.

One of my Mac-fellows is shipping donated Macs to Kenya, about 1500 so far, to hospitals, education centers and primary schools. It started with compacts, then II:s and LC:s and Quadras and so on. Recently the first G3:s has been shipped.
They will be used for a graphical design center, the first in Kenya,
Well, that's another story.

A few years ago he hired a storehouse were he refurbished the Macs and prepared them for shipment . When I first visited him, I estimated that he got about 300 Macs + displays etc.

About one year later, he was about to close the storehouse, moving the business to his home.
He asked me for help to collect the remaining Macs, some 50-60 to be destructed.

I was of course happy to help him, as I was able to find some new babies for my collection at the same time.

I loaded the car, went home and started to carry the new family members in the house.

Then my wife suddenly asked me what I was doing and as I was unable to convince her that we could use some of the Macs as a couch, I had to say goodbye to some 20 of them.

As I found it too hearthbreaking to send the ol' good fine Macs to destruction, I decided to find a new home for them.
I posted a note on a Mac site and a guy came and collected them.
I don't know what he was using them for, maybe as a dinner table?

LeifC

+70 68k Macs rescued
"Beige is beautiful"Go to Top of Page

MacLC
Starting Member

Sweden
24 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  08:06:33
Well, applepie and custard is good combination.

LeifC

+70 68k Macs rescued
"Beige is beautiful"Go to Top of Page

KatMac
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  14:28:03
quote:

... but it's awful slow on 7.5.5. Maybe a coprocessor will help or something. It takes the 68882.

If your System 7 Mac has had a PRAM failure, the disk cache gets set back to the minimum 32K. Open your memory control panel, hit the default button, and maybe increase it a little more. Then reboot and you will see a marked improvement.

A coprocessor will not help much, I'm afraid.

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  14:38:19
Yeah. My 6400 is just basically a jukebox right now. It's a shame how much OS 8.6 slows it down. It's still not that bad, though with virtual memory off. I don't especially like what I've heard about the L2 cache upgrades either. They probably won't ever be as fast as the processor slot card or especially the zifs. Then there's the slow hard drive interface on the 6400. I guess the old saying holds true: "You can't polish crap." Not that the 6400 doesn't have it's advantages - especially the built-in subwoofer. And I love how easy it is to pop out the drives and mobo. It's still got its special place.

The Lightning Stalker

Cat Piss Performa 631CD
ThriftMac LC III

PPC Macs:
Road Apple 5200CD
Performa 6400/180
PowerMac 7600/120 (233 Mhz upgrade)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc (5.25" Built-in Floppy)
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  15:44:54
Back to the LC III topic, though, I've got the NIC card in there now and I'm using it as a mail server with OS 7.5.5. Does anyone know how to get the 80Mb hard drive to spin down? I'm afraid that it's the weakest link and will eventually die because it's spinning all the time.

Thanks in advance.Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  18:45:27
There is a program that can spin down the HD and such in older Macs but I have no idea what the name was, Insomnia rings a bell but that might be something else.

It had a really funny interface, all dark grey and kind of metalic. I used to use it on my 638 as it had no sleep funciton either. To be honest though I wouldn't be to worred about the HD, just do reagular Backups, you could even do these over the ethernet connection to one of your other machines and just make sure you have a spare HD lying around. Even a 200 MB isn't going to cost much if anything.

SCSI HD's seem pretty reliable, I have a 20SC and a friend has an old 20 MB Rodime both of these work perfectly and are absolutely ancient!

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  20:00:25
Thanks Gothikon!

I guess they don't make 'em like they used to! I've got an old Gateway 2000 tower that I took a hacksaw to in order to fit the new style ATX motherboards. I was sawing on that thing for a few hours! I don't know much about grades of steel, but it's a very hard case! I did the same thing with a newer style case and the hacksaw went through like butter. Well, almost. Even the cover for it, when you knock on it, it has a very deep metal tone, like real steel or something.

Although there is a certain allure to having the original hard drive in there, though, so I don't want to take any chances. I'll keep that in mind, though, in case I don't find that program.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  23:52:40
if you spin up and down that hdd often, it'lll fail faster.... at least sticktion wont occur if you leave it running... and it's older so you won't have too much of a power savings with it spinned down either

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  10:08:26
Okay, I found one with a Google search. It's called Sleeper. Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.