All Forums
 LC / Performa
 I need help...
Author Topic  
MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2002 :  05:48:05
A few months back, A guy gave me a Mac TV for free. The only catch: the monitor was dead. At the time, he also gave me an LC 520, so I figured it would be fairly easy to just switch out the cases, and internal guts, and Voila!, a working Mac TV.

However, the Apple gods are not smiling on me. The computer works, as does the TV tuner, and I have already used it to play a ripping good game of Sonic on my Sega Genesis. But I can't get the CD drive to work.

I have taken two good caddy drives and tried them, but it seems that the drive is not getting any power. I tried using Adaptec's SCSI Probe to see if the drive was on the bus, but it doesn't even see the Hard Drive, and lists the SCSI bus as 0-Apple Unknown. I have booted off of 7.5 Disk Tools, but it doesn't see the drive either, and the drive will not accept caddies under any circumstances.

I'm wondering if there isn't something internally unique to the Mac TV that I might have missed when I did the body transfer. I will tell you that the LC 520 did not have an internal CD, nor was the bezel made for one.

Any suggestions?

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 22 and counting
------------------

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2002 :  06:06:56
does it hook up with the little slotted adaptor thingy or actual cable? If through the slotted thingy, maybe a pin came off of the slot insert or it is bad. If not, maybe the power is bad... Wait a min... are you using the connector for the 520 or from the TV inside the case? If the monitors are the same in both, you should be able to swap the actual slotty thing for the mobo and hook the video plugs from the TV slot right back in. There is a chance that the power cable to your CD-ROM drie is bad, but I don't know, if it is, buy my LC III and hook up the power cable from that into the Mac TV and onto the CD-ROM.... It will take some work and a longer power cord, but it is doable.... Have done this before.

Think I'm crazy yet?

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2002 :  22:49:06
is it a 3rd party CD drive? or possibly... maybe it's something like... you could be missing the crazy adapter that goes from the CD drive to the real cables and junk... or you could have an incomplete one as said before... maybe something's preventing all the contacts from contacting properly?

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2002 :  05:59:55
Could be. That happened to my 6400's motherboard. One of the little pins on the side got bent and SCSI wouldn't work at all until I bent it back to where it should have been. It took me a whole afternoon to figure out that was the problem.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2002 :  13:50:25
Have you tried any of these CD ROMs in another machine? By another machine, i'm thinking of one with real SCSI cables and all that stuff, instead of the slot adapters and crap.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2002 :  19:23:35
Yeah...those little connector thingies for power and scsi the go into the drive are a bitch...watch for bent/broken pins

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2002 :  21:15:11
quote:

Have you tried any of these CD ROMs in another machine? By another machine, i'm thinking of one with real SCSI cables and all that stuff, instead of the slot adapters and crap.

Well, the other caddy CD's I tried came from working machines,(Centris 610 and Quadra 950) although I didn't try the one from the Mac TV in the Centris. I pulled apart my Performa 6200 to get to the CD connector, only to find it was different, as is the one for the hard drive on the MTV. It is quite possible that the connector is the problem, but seeing as I don't have an extra at the moment, it will sit on the back burner for a while.

Truthfully, I wanted to upgrade the system from 7.1 to 7.5 without copying the floppy images off of the CD.

------------------
MacMoose
------------------
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2002 :  20:04:58
Perhaps the inner cabling that the little connector-adapter thingies plug into is loose...

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  15:44:20
dont'cha hate that about AIOs

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  20:45:30
Well, just today, I figured I would look around to see what was going on. I put the cd drive back in the old chassis, and it worked! It wasn't the connector as I had thought.

As it turns out, that the cable/adapter thingy inside of the chassis on the ex-520 sits lower than on the MacTV. Therefore, the drive was not connecting at all! I pulled the tray loader out of the 6200 and put it in hte MacTV, and it does get power, it just won't mount!Probably just SCSI Voodoo.

What I need now is a caddy cd drive that has the bus connectors on the bottom half of the drive, not the top. Of the four caddy drives I have, none are like that.

------------------
MacMoose
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  21:23:49
quote:

What I need now is a caddy cd drive that has the bus connectors on the bottom half of the drive, not the top. Of the four caddy drives I have, none are like that.

If the adapter sits in its own bracket like on the 630 and its AIO offspring, just unclip the adapter from the sheet metal and don't worry about that slide-in-drive-tray-STUPIDITY!

How often do you really need to pull a CD-ROM drive?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  06:46:12
hehehehe.... I guess stocking more than one style of AIO mac can be... frustrating...

youmight look on eBay for a CD drive that meets your needs, or get an external SCSI one and get a blank bezel for the front of your TV unit and paint it black

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  21:09:25
quote:

youmight look on eBay for a CD drive that meets your needs, or get an external SCSI one and get a blank bezel for the front of your TV unit and paint it black

Good thinkin', Cory.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2003 :  11:53:01
I know eh? I'm just so good at thinking it's what I do....

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.