All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 the infamous a/ux
Author Topic  
foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  19:20:25
As some of you may or may not know, I've been trying to get A/UX and get it running ever since I started posting here. I have been continually unsuccessful. I've downloaded from different sites and thrown the unloaded image on CD multiple times but it never loads. I am now giving up on leaving the computer on all night downloading it, and now am asking a simple favor. Send me a via mail that works! I'm beggin you.... Contact me via the e-mail foetoidthegreat@hotmail.com if you can help with the sending, but if you can tell me if I'm doing something wrong, please tell me what it is!

Thanks

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  21:42:45
hmmmm
what machine are you installing it onto?
did you make a boot DISK (ie floppy) image?
describe your problem of trying to get A/UX working

I was having problems with it on my Q650, and the thing that I needed to do was to download the 1.1 version of the '040 enabler, as opposed to the version 1.0 that comes with a/ux, a general rule of thumb is to make sure that you have the LATEST version of your hardware enablers installed.

another thing that you generally cannot do with burned copies of A/UX is boot from CD, you MUST use the boot floppy in most cases.

try downloading and burning from www.archaic-apples.com, that is where I got it and it worked admirably for me.

anyway, describe your symptoms, and maybe they can be diagnosed
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  05:54:12
I have the boot disk and it boots just fine, but it can never see the CD in the drive. I've tried installing on my 950 and on my 700. archaic-apples was the first place I tried it from and it didn't work for me, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  11:38:33
quote:

I have the boot disk and it boots just fine, but it can never see the CD in the drive.

Does it see a known working CD in that drive (ie. are the boot disk's CD drivers to blame)? Does the CD-ROM drive see the A/UX CD when you use the normal system software (ie. is the drive recognising the CD)?

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  11:56:20
Do you have the apple cd-rom driver on it?

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  13:15:15
lol... I haven't checked that... I'll do that and we'll go from there.

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2002 :  12:51:25
heh heh heh.... i just printed all 366 pages of the a/ux manual and i'll read that all the way thru eventually and maybe it can help...

kevinrist
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  19:46:14
I haven't been able to install A/UX onto a Q950, using the original installation disks from the WGS 95 Upgrade Kit, and it's been frustrating the heck out of me; then, I read somewhere that it's sensitive to the CD-ROM drive you use, I'd been using an internal Apple drive I'd installed in the 950, but it was faster than the ones available when A/UX was developed; so, I think I was using a drive that was too new; it would boot the floppy, then get to a point and tell me that it couldn't find the CD-ROM.

So, last night I tried installing A/UX on a Q610 (full '040) which had it's original CD-ROM, an Apple/Sony 600i, and it worked! So, now I'll try using that drive transferred into the Q950.

So, I'm wondering, are you using a "vintage" CD-ROM drive, or a newer one? I had your original problem, and solved it by finding a drive that had been available when A/UX was developed.

Hope that helps-

-Kevin
longtime lurker

Edited by - kevinrist on 23 Dec 2002 19:47:59Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.