All Forums
 Mac II Line
 Can I mix RAM stick sizes on IIfx?
Author Topic  
MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  15:17:15
My IIfx doesn't like at least one of the four huge 16MB modules I just got--gives me the Chimes of Death.

I know that IIfx RAM must be installed in groups of four. But do all four have to be the SAME size? If not, I could test the sticks one at a time. If so, I'll have to assume all are bad and give up.

I realize this is an arcane question, but I bet there is someone in this group who knows. I'm reluctant to try without good authority.

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry Niven

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  16:30:12
It's pretty much a given that ALL macs must have every bank populated with same size SIMMS, the IIfx is the same story.

If you have them in Bank B, you need to put them in Bank A (in the back closest to the ports) according to my IIfx era MacConnection SIMM installation guide the larger SIMMS MUST be in Bank A, which must ALWAYS have 4 SIMMs installed.

I hope this helps, how's the HDD problem? I've got a stack of IIfx's if you need a new mobo or some such. Email me at the .mac version of the addy that I share with trash!

jt

P.S. Do you have, or know somebody with a LaserWriter to test them in to see if it's the fx mobo or even a speed issue?

Edited by - alcoa on 15 Dec 2002 16:39:26Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  17:46:06
Is that the same with the colour classic?

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  18:38:56
Alcoa! Great tip! Moved the 16MBs to the back bank, and the IIfx booted! Duh! For some reason I assumed that the primary bank (if there was one) would be toward the front of the machine--but these are even labelled, if you look closely, 'Bank A' and 'Bank B'.

Seems to me I did try the back bank yesterday, but without anything in Bank B--should that make a difference? The machine seemed to stall, so I switched banks and got the Chimes of Death.

And, with the four 1MBs in bank B, it's showing a whopping 70MB of RAM! That's booted from an emergency floppy with a basic System 7.1 on it. One odd thing, though: The 'About' box shows the System taking c. 64MB, leaving only 6MB unused. I'm assuming this is some artifact of booting from the floppy, but it is weird.

So encouraged, I connected the HD again, the drive still doesn't spin up and refuses to boot, even from the floppy. The monitor lights up and just sits there--no pointer, no sad Mac, nothing.

I'd hate to lose this drive, as it's got the System folder I spent many days configuring for my Dayna network card (see the story on the website), not backed up, of course.

But if it's dead, got any?

/Mr Lynn

--Larry Niven

Edited by - mrlynn on 15 Dec 2002 18:41:20Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  19:47:00
quote:

And, with the four 1MBs in bank B, it's showing a whopping 70MB of RAM! That's booted from an emergency floppy with a basic System 7.1 on it. One odd thing, though: The 'About' box shows the System taking c. 64MB, leaving only 6MB unused. I'm assuming this is some artifact of booting from the floppy, but it is weird.

Nope, not weird, jus' turn on 32 bit addressing, reboot and check the figures again!
. . . and then leave the computers alone for a day or two! :rolleyes:

I take it you have four1.5 MB SIMMs in Bank B? 70 MB seems weird!
With the roll you're on this weekend . . . er . . . it's time to get some fresh air, comrade!

The guide only said that Bank A required SIMMs, so 64MB should be OK.
HDD's I'm short on, mobos etc. I've got!

jt

Edited by - alcoa on 15 Dec 2002 20:02:21Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  21:04:28
quote:

I take it you have four1.5 MB SIMMs in Bank B? 70MB seems weird!

Actually it was 69 and change total, 64 and change used by System, I think. There are four 1MB SIMMS in bank B.

Come to think of it, I did change it to 24-bit addressing when trying to find the HD with Silverlining.

Yes, this has eaten into my weekend. No time even to play with my new (well, refurb) TiBook! But we did get out with the dogs for a couple of hours. I'm hoping that the problem with the HD isn't something fried on the motherboard side. Need another working drive to throw into there.

BTW, do those mobos of yours have any >1MB RAM on them?

/Mr Lynn

PS You know, I never realized until now that 'jt' appears in more than one guise on these boards. . . . Why 'alcoa'? (My wife's late father worked for them for most of his life.)

--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  23:48:02
quote:

quote:

I take it you have four1.5 MB SIMMs in Bank B? 70MB seems weird!

Actually it was 69 and change total, 64 and change used by System, I think. There are four 1MB SIMMS in bank B.

69,632 kilobytes sounds about right then, but that's a lot more than 400k shy of 70 MB!
quote:

Come to think of it, I did change it to 24-bit addressing when trying to find the HD with Silverlining.

That figures!
quote:

Yes, this has eaten into my weekend. No time even to play with my new (well, refurb) TiBook!

You didn't seem to be having much luck, sounds like a good time to quit for a while!
quote:

BTW, do those mobos of yours have any >1MB RAM on them?

I have some 4 MB SIMMs, but not enough to spare any, I don't think I have enough to get two boxes up to 32 MB, dunno, haven't played with them in months
quote:

PS You know, I never realized until now that 'jt' appears in more than one guise on these boards. . . . Why 'alcoa'?

It was a play on something cinemo said way back when my cookie/password went AWOL for several days at the same time ~coxy did. I registered then and I've been posting from iCab as alcoa periodically and whenever I'm away from my main machine on dialup. Since the banners started blowing up NN 4.73 I've been using iCab, so I'm in alcoa mode again at least until I have time to set up a new drive.

jt

Edited by - alcoa on 15 Dec 2002 23:48:47Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.