All Forums
 Lounge
 Why do people write on computers?
Author Topic  
Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  01:24:27
I was in my local thrift store that has a fair number of computers at great prices. Today on the shelf was a mint condition Classic for $7 CDN. Looked brand new, no screen burn in. The catch - written in black permanent marker was the former owners name. The last name was *10* letters long and written on a slant for pete's sake. Oh yeah, even worse - it was on the FRONT! I cannot for the life of me figure out why someone would do this to a computer. Help me with this one... please.

Kami

Edited by - Kami on 14 Dec 2002 01:25:35

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  04:20:45
I don't think that there'd be a foolproof way to get it off the casing without discolouring the plastic itself, unfortunately. Maybe they lived in a Mac-theft danger zone.

If it's a cool name, and written neatly, then you could always say that it's the computer's name...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  08:53:25
Not as bad as what was done to the SE that I liberated from MU. They were so afraid of it being stolen that they used a soldering iron or similar tool to melt "UMC" into the front panel right next to the floppy drive. I suppose that if you invest $5000 for the computer, RAM, and Radius video card, you really don't want it stolen.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  09:13:33
One thing I have done to remove some minor scuffs is to get a very fine pease of snad paper (if you ca get it in one of those "sponge" types where it can get in corners, thats great too) and slowly work the areas very, very lightly. I have expereince no discoloration and have removed many scuffs and permanent marker once or twice.

Just FYI

Now those ownership stickers that don't come off at all, now THAT is bad, almost as much as spray paint...

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  00:54:38
hehehe... I'm thinking of putting my server's name on it... but it's a minitower, and i'm going to put on those stickers that are letters and numbers... it's going to be near the botton in a placw where it's not offensive also

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  01:10:59
Hehe those old apple stickers, they try to sell them on e-bay for like 5$ now.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  04:11:07
quote:
Not as bad as what was done to the SE that I liberated from MU. They were so afraid of it being stolen that they used a soldering iron or similar tool to melt "UMC" into the front panel right next to the floppy drive.

Same thing was done to the top front case of my Color Classic...only it's the name of a L.A. County Middle School.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  11:26:59
hehehe... my 840AV looks like some retard was trying to get the case open, and got it half off, but gave up, and one of the back screw holes is mutalated, like somebody was using a hammar, but missed (which would explain a few things, like the fact that the screw doesn't screw in, and it's bent) ignorance astounds... we should have us all meet in calafornia or something...

THnnxxxxx
"we will CONSUME YOU!!!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  15:09:24
If the computer is good, cover up the name with a piece of black duct tape. Or if you're creative, make a nice plastic or metal plaque with some clever saying and fasten it over the name.

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  15:44:53
Not apple stickers... just some stickers that come in packs and you put them; on things like your house, or your car or your mailbox... like those but a bit smaller... I would never directly write on the case of a computer... Mac OR PC... I do know that it's lots easier to get stickers off than my own writing..

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  17:26:50
quote:

Same thing was done to the top front case of my Color Classic...only it's the name of a L.A. County Middle School.

Last year, I found a IIgs keyboard with the name of my old elementary school etched on it. Remembering how they put those machines into storage some 12 years earlier, I decided to buy it as a keepsake.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  17:49:18
quote:

quote:

Last year, I found a IIgs keyboard with the name of my old elementary school etched on it. Remembering how they put those machines into storage some 12 years earlier, I decided to buy it as a keepsake.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.

Is there any way to get those engravings off?

-danny
-------

asan9000

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  19:00:31
quote:

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Is there any way to get those engravings off?

Yeah, I got a bunch of old comps that they were giving away at the high school, and I'm using one of the mice on my SE. It had the name of the school burned into it right inder the mouse button, and it's really uncomfortable. I got some sandpaper, and I was able to get rid of the plastic that ridged up around the edges. Depending on how deep it is, it may get rid of most of it. However, it also makes the plastic in that area less shiny, but using finer sandpaper could probably solve that.

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  19:10:52
Ahh ok TNX .

-danny
-------

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  19:53:19
Windex on a cotton rag gets permanent marker out like no other! (and no case discoloring either!)

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  20:50:44
Bondo car filler placed into REALLY deep gashes and/or open wounds fixes those tye of things up fine after a nice sanding.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  21:53:58
I second the motion for Bondo, and Windex, I have gotten crud off computers, and filled the dings and scuffs, and now they look mint, though adopted to new homes. now if only there was a way to get the yellowing off without damaging texture......
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2002 :  22:48:09
Yea, windex is pretty good at removing sharpie marks, (pretty common in second hand shops in my area...) What I found works well along with it is a green scrubber pad. It gets off the sharpie and doesn't leave any marks on the case.

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

Epicenter
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  07:17:33
You could just paint the whole thing and, in the process, cover up the name. Man, that's even more annoying than when they number the macs (i.e. a big fat *6* randomly written in huge, messy permanant marker on the case, etc.)

Deven "Epicenter" Gallo
- - -
http://epicenter.2ya.comGo to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  20:34:23
Went by the thrift store this afternoon - big 50% off sale. The little Mac Classic was still there (along with the writing). Overheard a couple of guys thinking about buying it... one said to the other, "Who would be stupid enough to write their last name on the computer?"

Does anyone have a suggestion for taking the yellow colouring out of old Macs?

Kami

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  21:24:09
quick! last time someone went thru something I was going to buy... I was ripped off... because he took $100 worth of Kirby vacuum bags from the box that was costing $25 and stuffed them in his jacket...

if you think it's worth it to you... buy it and worry about the case later....
although... a good wash with soap and warm water can't hurt anyhing... if you take the case off.... or be careful around openings

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2002 :  05:03:39
I haven't found a technique to making the case completely non-yellow, but then again it depends on how yellow it is to begin with. Giving the entire case a light sanding, almost as if you were preping it for painting, will sometimes do the trick with lighter, not so deep yellowing. Otherwise, anyone else know anything?

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2002 :  21:22:00
I don't remember where I read it, but some post somewhere told about how the guy put the Mac case in the dishwasher (empty- of course) and when it was done, the yellow was gone, apparently it worked.
I don't have any yellowed hardware myself except for a crappy HP LaserJet 5L (PC only- it works when it wants to.)Almost all of my Mac HW is pristine except for a few sharpie marks that just wouldn't budge(GRR...) Except for the StyleWriter I that I pitched into the tip a few months ago. I should offered it up to anyone who wanted it, but it was stone dead - the victim of a spill while energized (not me!)
I have a SW II and a SW 1500 that work beautifully and I just didn't have the paitence to deal with it, sorry.

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.