Compact Macs
 Classic II sound problem
Author Topic  
Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 09 Dec 2002 :  20:23:32
hi,
i got a Classic II for free at a junk store.. it works fine and everything, except for one thing.. after being on for a while, the speaker emits a whistling noise that changes in pitch and sometimes stops after a while. also, it changes in pitch when i press on the sound out port. the guys on the Apple forums told me it might be a cold solder joint on the mobo. i thought i'd get a second opinion before i start messing with things.
thanks in advance for any help.

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  23:35:06
hmmm... I'd go with the solder problem.Who knows where tho! Could be many places. Have you tried hooking it into a set of headphones? Does the noise persists over the speaker and/or the headphones?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  11:54:41
quote:

hmmm... I'd go with the solder problem.Who knows where tho! Could be many places. Have you tried hooking it into a set of headphones? Does the noise persists over the speaker and/or the headphones?

I just tried using headphone, and the noise comes through them but not the internal speaker. This leads me to believe that it's the sound out port.. I guess I'm going to try resoldering that first to see if it resolves the problem. Thanks for your help! Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  11:55:29
quote:

I just tried using headphone, and the noise comes through them but not the internal speaker. This leads me to believe that it's the sound out port.. I guess I'm going to try resoldering that first to see if it resolves the problem. Thanks for your help! Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.