All Forums
 The Website Forum
 Suggestion
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 05 Jan 2002 :  17:21:27
You should put up a "Training" section on your website. You can put up tutorials, how-tos, etc. Some good topics would be: "How to install Unix/Linux", "How to set up your 68k as a server", and "How to install a new hard drive".

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
1 Mac Liberated (more to come)

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 05 Jan 2002 :  23:02:55

Sounds like a good idea... like an in-depth FAQ. Let's get some suggestions.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 06 Jan 2002 :  01:54:16
How bout jokes!!!*How many PC users does it take to use a mac?*None they cant find the Control-Alt-Delete key combonation. Corny but g00d.What three things does a PC have a mac doesnt? BCD ( blue screen of death), ALT key( look at joke above:), and a reset button.These may be corny i just watched a story on Macworld its 1:03AM and im all hyped up about going to MacWorld. Thanks Luv and Peace to all!

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napolean

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Jan 2002 :  04:50:51
I was thinking about doing that. We couold have some tech help for models that are hard to open.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 07 Jan 2002 :  20:43:49
That's a good idea, but I'd rather complete both versions of the website, then see how we can expand.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 08 Jan 2002 :  06:22:43
Is anyone else actually doing any work on it?
And, are we doing model info pages?

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 08 Jan 2002 :  22:15:50
A little while ago, I questioned whether or not we do spec sheets. I think it would be a much better idea would be to have all of the models with links to spec pages/resources from other sites (apple-history.com, lowendmac.com, jagshouse.com, etc) and add our own "liberator's notes" if necessary

what do you people think about that? Writing out all of those specs would be a pain in the ass and would be a mess if i were to assign pages/model series to different people

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 09 Jan 2002 :  20:02:17
You forgot the TIL. But I guess their specs aren't even quite as complete as the ones at everymac.com except that they have some special notes here and there that everymac left out. I agree that we don't need to have our own. It's redundant and a pain.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 09 Jan 2002 :  21:34:22
*note that i said "etc"

I'm glad somebody shares my opinion. in the near future i'll try to get working on the page some more (finals are coming up soon - very little time for html )

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Jan 2002 :  07:07:06
I like the liberator's notes idea.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 10 Jan 2002 :  08:18:13
a member (can't remember who) here offered his/her own spec sheet template back when we were talking about that. after all of the specs, there was a section for notes about the model. Perhaps i'm thinking of the page somebody made for a PPC upgraded PB 520c

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 13 Jan 2002 :  13:25:50
What about just a Liberators notes page for each 68k Mac/Family of Macs?

Have a link to the everymac.com and appleSpec listing for each one (so we don;t need to waste OUR space and time) and under that, have the notes.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  17:47:55
quote:

What about just a Liberators notes page for each 68k Mac/Family of Macs?
under that, have the notes.

Good idea, how much server space have we got to play with? If we posted HQ scans of really cool old hardware product literature/ads etc. like on some of the truck restoration sites, top tier Mac sites would link back to our content (been done yet? if so, gimme some links! if not, whadda-ya-think?)

jt

p.s. We got a website? I thought THIS was the website!

technosaur

Back again, found it after I took a nap. "The needs just...." must have looked like "out of order" to me, but I do recall some of the cheekier comments, and the FAQ. Somebody should append "'re" or insert "are" to fix "you far, far.....", cute though.

I should have been more specifix above, think early Radius displays & accelerator literature. SE/30 cards, the NewLife cards to update a fatmac to plus w/external monitor, first HDD's for Pluses, MacCharlie, Thunderscan, early scanners and a cost tracking chart ($5k+ down to $50) Timeline of Graphics software/cpu/input-output device, developments, really outrageous vaporware fiascos (spreadbase), yadda, yadda......lot of work to take on, but if it could be an interactive online let visitors add their $.02 to show off deal, it might generate a lot of interest, and snowball....is there such a thing as online group project software?

sorry about the ramble, I'm trying to stay awake 'til bedtime and can't play with my power tools or truck (safely).

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 Jan 2002 19:17:26Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  21:16:41
quote:

Back again, found it after I took a nap. "The needs just...." must have looked like "out of order" to me, but I do recall some of the cheekier comments, and the FAQ. Somebody should append "'re" or insert "are" to fix "you far, far.....", cute though.

May I present to you, the head of the 68k MLA website

*FireWire is fast takes a bow*

I'll have to go on a grammatical/spellings error campaign against the website again in the near future...and start compiling spec links/commments...

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  12:06:16
quote:

May I present to you, the head of the 68k MLA website

*FireWire is fast takes a bow*

My pleasure to meet you, FW.

....felt a lucid moment coming on so I thought I'd better return for battle damage assessment at the scene of another incoherence attack, so:

I know about some of the museum/directory links for macs (would appreciate more!), but exploring sites covering similar fields of interest might be a good source of ideas.

Here are some links to the kind of thing I was suggesting:

Check out this site for a brochure/advert posting format:

I'm not sure the dial-up afflicted want to try this first link unless they like to run errands during pageloads, (but I'm curious enough to want to find out if I needed to come back and post this disclaimer, some adventurous soul, please let me know about load times so I don't have to let the HDD w/AOL on it out of quarantine, TYIA)

http://www.slosh.com/cars/brochures/others.html#1976casagrande

Check out these sites for formats I think would be great for obscure 68k articles/developments/mods/accessories/peripherals etc:

http://www.cameraquest.com/rfren.htm
http://www.nikonhs.org/article_mar98/articleNHS_1.html

...found them both up one level on this site, it might be too lame for exrerienced web types to imitate, but I thought this formatting of material from scattered sources was worthy of stealing:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/rangefinder.htm

If anyone has better examples, post 'em, I'd really like to check them out. Don't take that as a challenge, I really want to learn more about web info. distrib. strategies. I'm not interested in pretty design so much as efficient user access to content.

jt

btw: gimme-a-link-please! I'd like to see a glossary for net jargon that includes the derivation of words and expressions like "troll" or "trolling for", IMHO "trawl" and "trawler" have better connotations for NET or WEB terminology, "troll" with appearance and light sensitivity connotations as in LOTR, seems a perfect choice as webspeak for some web/computer types, present company excepted of course (mainframe acolytes, they NEVER get out).

So, no I wasn't asking THAT! Ignorance (strictly defined here, I'm not asking for clarification regarding applicatability of generally accepted, but inaccurate and derogatory, secondary connotations either) I'm working on, but my inquisitive nature appears to be terminal condition, maybe I'll come back as a cat.

last part cryptic enough?
bonus point?

jt :-)

p.s. IS types too, they shouldn't be ALLOWED out (and if you even considered touching a dictionary, I demand 2 bonus points).

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Jan 2002 12:21:27Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  18:54:01
I was going to suggest that instead of linking to EveryMac, we could link to a download for MacTracker, but MacTracker needs a PPC...oh well...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.