All Forums
 The Website Forum
 ONE POPUP MUST GO!
Author Topic  
alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2002 :  10:07:13
I can no longer log onto the forums with Netscape 4.73. One of the popups poleaxes that browser EVERY TIME it appears! The popup will not load and no other page will load after it appears, even after closing the offending popup window.

There is something fundamentally wrong when a banner ad company intrudes upon a user's system with malignant sewage that has not been tested for compatability across the board.

What information needs to be gathered to report and put an end to this criminal activity?

jt

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2002 :  12:40:38
I'm al for ads but when they disrupt my usual habits it's not good, I usually use IE for compatibility, but i am forced to use Chimera to stop those pop up ads.

-danny
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 02 Dec 2002 :  00:41:47
quote:
From one side I hate popup ads - from another... I wouldn't be using a known buggy version of netscape 4 - one that's been fixed for a while now... I don't think anyone has the responsibility to test for compatibility with say, IE 5, 5.01, 5.02, 5.1, 5.1.1, 5.1.2, NS 4.08, 4.5, the 11 versions from 4.7 through to 4.8 and... so on.

I gave it another try, it hasn't blown my system out of the water and I've actually read a half dozen threads already.

NN 4.73 is all that my ISP supported until recently and I'd need to reinstall all their software to run the newer NN rev that they now finally support. No time to do it, and I can't afford to have my system taken down by b******t ads.

There is something immoral about crashing a computer that not only does not belong to you, but one into which a banner or popup company may not be wanted to be given access, IT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG! If they are going to intrude on web users, it is imperative that they test for every version of every browser capable of loading the pages upon which they feed, buggy, ancient or not. If it cuts into their profits, it's just TOO F*****G BAD!

Something is going to need to be done about page jacking, banners and popup/popunder feeding frenzies. There is no excuse for some of the nonsense going on on the web, much of it it needs to be criminalized with stiff penalties.

I'll be switching to X and junkbuster's blocking technology at my next opportunity now that my ISP has finally come out of the dark ages, but there are a lot pf people who still do not have that option.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 02 Dec 2002 :  02:49:28
I've never heard of a internet company blocking or not supporting certian browsers unless i read wrong.

The only issue I would see is at one time AOL required users to use it's browser. Most browsers use a common set of commands that use TCP/IP.

I remember being on dial-up/highspeed and using several browsers on multiple companies. Of course, there is an exception if you use a free net provider or text only access, which may require special software.

If they indeed didn't support browsers of a certian kind, they don't deserve to be in business.

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 02 Dec 2002 :  05:09:38
quote:

If they indeed didn't support browsers of a certian kind, they don't deserve to be in business.

It's Verison DSL and that was the only MACINTOSH browser they supported . . . some don't support ANY, or the use of Macs at all!

Somehow, this notion that it it up to the users to make themselves compatible with "features" of the web that they do not even intend to see and certainly do not want pushed into their faces while looking for real content seems a malignant, VERY EVIL, Mordor$oft or NOTHING kind of arrangement.

I resent any implication that it is not entirely the responsibility of the companies polluting the web with unwelcome sewage to test thoroughly with EVERY combination of browser and O.S. before preying on the unsuspecting web user.

Maybe iCab is working again for now . . .

jt

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 02 Dec 2002 :  13:24:50
Um trash, trying to understand here, but how do you "have" to use netscape? By saying supported, you mean if you call and need help, that is all they will troubleshoot?

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.