UNIX on 68k
 LC III & D-Link Router?
Author Topic  
Piper
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts
Posted - 30 Nov 2002 :  08:55:35
I just bought a new D-Link (DI-604) router for the purpose of sharing my cable modem with my LC III (running Debian) but I'm having a hard time getting my LC III to cooperate with the router(Asante network card).

When connected directly to the cable modem I get a steady light on the network card and I'm able to access the internet, and was how I installed Debian in the first place. When plugged into the router using the same straight through cable however, the LED blinks fast and I can't connect to anything. I believe it goes beyond a network config issue in Linux as the fast blink occurs the second the LC III is powered up and remains so regardless of which settings I may have attempted to tweak.

Anyone have any experience similar to this?

Thanks in advance.

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 04 Dec 2002 :  11:39:47
Yup.. similar problem with an iMac and a LinkSys router, and a cheap hub.

SAME problems, with the fast blinking lights.

I honestly don't know what the problem is. I can hook the iMac up to an ibook via a crossover cable no problem, but it won't connect to the other network devices.

I'm headed to the Apple Store tonight to talk to a Genius.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Piper
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts
Posted - 06 Dec 2002 :  13:18:52
I managed to track someone down on the net who has had similar issues. His suggestion was to replace the Asante card with an Apple one which fixed the issue for him. Another possible solution may be to connect the Asante card to a hub and the hub to the router.

I've since bought an Apple LC ethernet card off of Ebay. I'll post again once I receive the card.

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 06 Dec 2002 :  13:58:39
quote:

Another possible solution may be to connect the Asante card to a hub and the hub to the router.

That's a suggestion that was made over on fritter that sounds like a pretty good bet.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Piper
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  20:02:37
The Apple Ethernet card from Ebay came in today. The light comes on steady when plugged into my Dlink router. So far so good (or so I thought)

When booting into Linux, I now get a Kernel Panic "In interrupt handler - not syncing". I figured that's fine I'll re-install. After a few attempts I'm finding I'm having no luck getting past this. I was using a 2.2.20 Kernel and even when I use the newest 2.4.x version I get the same message. I know the card works since when I do the install using network, it goes out to the net and grabs files.

Any ideas on how to get past this?Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  08:14:43
Asante cards have a hard time autonegotiating, i.e., they can cause trouble connecting to a 10/100Mb port.

Either set the port to a fixed 10Mb rate, or connect through a (10BaseT) hub.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Piper
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  10:13:44
From what I've read, there's been mixed success with using an additional hub with the Asante card. Right now I'm focusing on trying to get the Apple (Sonic) card working in Linux.

It's strange that I can run the install (potato or woody) and configure networking using DHCP and download disk images using network install option, but when I reboot after the install is finished I get a kernel panic.

One more suggestion stated that the Apple card may not be re-initializing when Linux starts up from MacOS. Disconnecting and then reconnecting the network cable during the Linux boot process may fix this. I'll try some more this eve.
Go to Top of Page

SneakyFungus
Starting Member

19 Posts
Posted - 31 Dec 2002 :  14:53:40
I have an Asante 10BaseT card in my LC475.
It does not get along with both a D-Link DI704P and Linksys BEFSR41, both 10/100 devices.

It links fine though when connected to an old HP 10BaseT/10Base2 hub.

I also have an old DEC/SMC 10BaseT PCI card which I had previously thought to be non working but that I now suspect may have the same problem as the Asante LC card. I haven't had a chance to try connecting it to my hub yet, though.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.