68k Hacks
 FPU on an LC II?
Author Topic  
elakazal
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  09:19:07
On the LC II motherboard, near the CPU, is a square cluster of lots of little solder pads, that looks as if some sizeable chip was supposed to be inserted there. Any idea what was supposed to go there?

I think I may have asked this somewhere in the past...just found the LC II motherboard in a box last night and was thinking about it again. I've been told that it was probably an FPU, but when I pulled out the 68882 I had, the pins didn't quite line up, although I think it had the right number. Were there different packages of the 68882 that might have worked? Not real familiar with these things...

If it's not an FPU, any thoughts what it might be? Seems like there aren't too many huge chips you could just leave off at the last minute like that.

Also, what's up with the thing that looks like another floppy drive connector? Any one ever try attaching a floppy to that?

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  12:05:10
quote:
Also, what's up with the thing that looks like another floppy drive connector? Any one ever try attaching a floppy to that?

The LC was sold in a dual floppy configuration to schools. It's possible to run two floppies if you put the computer in a different case. I don't know how much the PSU would like that, though.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

elakazal
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  14:15:41
quote:

The LC was sold in a dual floppy configuration to schools. It's possible to run two floppies if you put the computer in a different case. I don't know how much the PSU would like that, though.

But was the LC II? There's no cut out in the case like there is on the LC, and I don't recall ever seeing a dual-floppy LC II.

I probably should have been clearer...there's not a second connector, but rather two rows of solder pads where it seems the connector ought to be...

Go to Top of Page

Kyusaku Natsume
Starting Member

USA
24 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  15:05:43
quote:

But was the LC II? There's no cut out in the case like there is on the LC, and I don't recall ever seeing a dual-floppy LC II.

I probably should have been clearer...there's not a second connector, but rather two rows of solder pads where it seems the connector ought to be...

From what I understand, the LC II is literally an LC with a 68030 processor. Nothing is different except the processor and it only has one floppy connector. The solder pads are right about where the second floppy connector would be on an LC. (I have a couple LCs and a pile of LC II boards to reference).

As for the original question, that square set of solder pads is almost certainly where the FPU holder would go.

Otaku; Specialties in Anime, Macs, Storms
Liberated Macs: 6 In progress: 10Go to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  15:32:36
quote:

there's not a second connector, but rather two rows of solder pads where it seems the connector ought to be

While it may reflect changes to the specification between design and production, empty solder pads may reflect changes between models as well. Apple may have considered the second connector as an added expense for non-education markets, then simply added it when the customer ordered it. I think they did something similar with the IIci, since there are solder pads for an extra chip -- which may be for the "mythical" parity check. My blueberry iMac even appears to be an iMac DV with the VGA port removed, which I may try adding on day, and missing firewire circuitry.

There are all sorts of reasons for missing parts.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

elakazal
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  15:47:41
quote:

The solder pads are right about where the second floppy connector would be on an LC. (I have a couple LCs and a pile of LC II boards to reference).

Are the solder pads on the LC board different between the two floppy connectors? If I recall (I'm at work at the moment), the two have slightly different numbers of pins on the LC II. (Not that I'm suggesting it's not a floppy connector...I'm just curious)

quote:

As for the original question, that square set of solder pads is almost certainly where the FPU holder would go.

So the pins would line up a socket of some sort, even if they don't on the actual 68882?

I've got a 68882 kicking around, and I'd put it in there and see if it worked if I could find a way of doing it...

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  23:05:03

There's some pretty good info about this at

http://www.shiga-med.ac.jp/people/sugimoto's/mac/lc2.html

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2002 :  07:00:16
Thats cool, does the lc have this slot.

-danny
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.