All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 another new recruit to the 68KMLA!
Author Topic  
macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  17:43:03
Hey everyone, I am da macdaddy, ready for deployment to liberate 68K macs! I've been registered for awhile now, but i havent had time to do any posting, since I've been busy with school, and my internet connection at college is so slow that it makes a 56K feel speedy. [finally they have a new ISP with higher bandwidth.]

Anywho, I have liberated many a 68K from certain death. My first liberation was at a garage sale about six years ago, where I found a Mac 512K w/ an ImageWriter I printer for $5! I later gave this to a friend of mine, who still has it. i kinda wish i wouldda kept it now....

My next liberation was at an auciton two years ago, where I got 5 macs for $25. i got 3 LC IIIs, an LCII, and a Mac IIx with a IIfx mobo. I gave an LCIII to my 5 year old cousin, and another one became the guts of the Macintosh LCIIIgs of Applefritter fame, and the last LCIII received a dark metallic blue paint job. The LCII is a backup Mac, she doesnt see much use currently. The IIx [IIfx mobo] is dead, it will not boot, and i have tried everything to bring the beast back to life, but it's too far gone, i'm afraid.

About the same time that I got the Macs from the auction, I traded my old 486SX/25 [8/210MB] peecee with another friend of mine in exchange for a nicely equipped Performa 550 [5/230MB]. I upped the RAM to 36 megs and dropped in a 500 MB hard drive, and now this Mac is my little sister's computer now, and she uses it for games and whatnot.

Last year I [sorta] liberated a Quadra 700 off ebay for $7. This Mac is currently my brother's main 68K Mac.

The latest Mac I liberated was a PowerBook Duo 280, [12/250 MB i think]. I obtained the old Duo while looking for other Mac people in my dorm at college. On the second day of being there I found this kid with this Duo, and he said I could keep it! Score! The only problem is that I don't have an AC adapter for it, so I can't use it right now. But he said that he has a Duo Dock laying around at home, and he is going to try to bring it back to campus with him after christmas break, if he drives back instead of flying.

Those are the stories of my 68K Mac liberation, and it's great to be in the army!

macdaddy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
68K Macs liberated : 9

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  20:58:59
I'm interested in the RAM off the IIfx board, as well as the video card.

Interested in sale or trade?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  22:33:45
Marchie, i do not know if the IIfx's RAM is good or not, and it still has the Toby card in it from its days of being a IIx. I should get it back out and mess around with it, and see if I can even get something to show up on the monitor, it just makes a startup ding, then nothing comes up on screen. For the moment, I'd like to keep the RAM and video card, since I might want to someday experience that "wicked fast" 40 MHZ '030 power! Wait, that's it! My new quest is to liberate a IIfx! [but should i come across any other 68Ks, i'll liberate them too!]

macdaddy
Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  23:34:46
You've inspired me, macdaddy!

Perhaps this belongs in the LC forum, but we'll see.

I had never heard of the "LCIIIgs" until you posted that link. I didn't know that people liked case transplants so much, but I've got meself a plan. This is no hackintosh - there's no practical purpose to this hack. It isn't a hack, at all, really, and let me say I take a bit of issue with the classification of the LCIIIgs as a hack.
Very cool, but not so much of a hack.

In any case, here is my project: run a working LCIII out of an NES casing. Why not? It's never been done. I've got a bunch of NES's around. I was going to sell all of them, but I'll take a small loss this time around. It will be silly, it will be interesting, it will be a tight squeeze, and it will have a floppy drive right where the games would go in. It's too bad that I can't move the adb port, or something, because it would be really cool to plug the keyboard right into the spot where the NES controller plugs in. Maybe that will be the hack. I could find a way involving a small extension cable, I'm sure.

Wish me luck, all! Full color photos to follow.
Should this have been its own post? Whatever.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  23:57:11
To think I've had a IIfx sans HD power cable sitting around and I didn't think to boot from a floppy to at least see how much RAM I have...

*hangs head in shame*

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Jan 2002 :  05:49:14
RE: the NES hack:

It's easy to transplant ADB, you can buy the connectors from any good electronics store and some 4-core cable as well. Instant S-Video/ADB!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 02 Jan 2002 :  13:51:28
heh, heh, i never thought of putting an LC into a nintendo box...hmmmmmmm...

macdaddy
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.