All Forums
 Newton
 Bypassing the password
Author Topic  
Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2002 :  17:15:51
The good news: I got another 2100 to replace my dead 2100. It's in great comestic shape and only one scratch on the sreen.

The bad news: The 2100 has been password protected. I know that I can clear the password by doing a deep reset. But... I want to see what is on the 2100!

Possible solutions: I've tried NewtonUnlock 2.1 but it seems to be incompatible with OS 2.1. Crashes all the time. I have also loaded datarescue onto a flash card but it is unable to complete a connection to my computer.

Help! Does anyone have another solution that I can try?

Thanks

Kami

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 05 Dec 2002 :  21:26:24
Update:

If you buy a "new" MP 2100 and it arrives with password protection, there is a solution. It is called Data Rescue. It auto docks with a computer running NCU.

You need to install the package on a flash memory card somehow (borrowing a friend's Newt worked for me). The first time I tried this package, it didn't connect with the computer - communications error. I tried it again tonight and with no changes to the setting it connected to the Mac (Weird!).

Choose backup. Then restart and restore from the backed up info. The password is not restored and the Newt starts up normally.

For the curious:
My "new" Newt came from Bristol Meyers Squib with some proprietary BMS software that needs access to a database that was not installed.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.