Lounge
 Save The Pentiums!!!
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  22:45:43
DON'T FLAME ME, HEAR ME OUT (just to get your attention)

The Phrase "Save The Pentiums" does NOT only apply to pentium based PCs... and it CERTAINLY does not pretain to any Operating systems.

Instead, the phrase "save the pentiums" is a phrase I coined in my latest venture, the venture of Genecomp Compusystems, is to save older computers and let students and tomorrows generation have access to them.

it's basically a way to get free(er) old computers.

A business donates it's old machines, be they macs, PCs, SGIs or whatever, or a school donates it's old machines, macs, PCs, AppleIIs, and someother just people or whatever can make donations, and the idea is that the computer may even find it's way to a schoolchild, or something of the like...

when a kid is done with it, or maybe the kid wanted it just for this, the machine goes to things like SETI@home where the machine will have a 3rd life, contributing to science

isn't it just heartwarming?

Official 68k videographer

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  23:42:56
Sounds sort of like my mission: to seek out unwanted Pentium era machines, and find new uses and owners for them! The P200 that i rescued from the trash at the Shop is my main PC and runs NT Workstation 4 like a dream. They also gave me a P166 that i am turning into a linux box. I also have a Pentium of an unknown speed that i will configure up and sell in the classifieds as a low end office machine, as well as an AMD K6 233 that I am trying to fix up to use as my main PC.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2002 :  00:05:29
hey! it's ML5! get on AIM! please !!!
well at least your still coming to the forums sometimes

no.. DON"T email it to seti, at home

well if they have SETI for nix... I should make the "standard SETI installating nixie boot disk" complete with seti and all it set up nice and easy that'd be a cool way to get SETIBOXES runnin quick and easy

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2002 :  09:34:02
My P233 is running QNX and DrDOS and makes a great websurfing and DOS gaming machine. My P166 is running OpenStep and it's a nice web page editing platform. Nothing wrong with Pentiums as long as they're not running Windoze.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2002 :  10:45:21
I'm still waiting for someone to make a PC that boots DOS and immediately fires up PC-Fusion and turns it into a mac. ;)

6360av 32/6.4/8.1 ;)
SE 4/2000/FDHD/7.0.1 :)
Q840av - Alive!
Q650 64/2000/A/UX Woot!
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :PGo to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2002 :  23:55:34
that... accually wouldn't be that hard. hehehe. sounds like a job for THE MASKED BATCH! with the help of VPCboy! HEHE! ok now I'm just being dumb. all gone.

thncxnc
"I want to talk to some one with SOME sort of intellegence until 1:00am!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2002 :  00:01:06
quote:

hey! it's ML5! get on AIM! please !!!

I wish i could, but i'm on vacation at the moment, and my only internet access ATM is via a crappy web kiosk in a shopping centre, because my friggen PowerBook 1400's modem doesn't like the hotel's PABX for some reason.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2002 :  19:00:32
oh, ok... just checking... well you've missed some really cool chatty place sessions

yeah... sometimes things dont like PBXs and the like... in fact... if that's a digital system you've tried to plug your modem into... please pray for the dear life of your powerbooks modem.

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2002 :  10:59:05
I love pentium-era computers. They're usually good machines for your buck and also not so old that they can't do anything. That era was the golden age of that platform methinks. DOS was still dominant over Windows.

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2002 :  18:37:21
yeah... I generally like whatever pentium era computers that I can see... some were brought down by shoddy engineering on the motherboard level, inconsistent design and just bad things elsewhere....

like my Acer Aspire, and an OLD Dell OptiPlex. Newer ones, like my Newer Dell OptiPlex 200MHz MMx are really cool though. and even newer PCs, anything pre PIV are cool with me...

but the older pentiums really do give you that bang for buck...
(especially if you paid $1 for something that blew up )

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.