68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 'Bochs' x86 emu running Debian on Mac OS X! Whee!
Author Topic  
SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  12:55:48
Howdy, folks!
I just wanted to brag that I just got the new-ish 'Bochs' (say: 'box') IBM-compat emulator up-and-running on my PowerBook G4! At the moment, I've got it running from a disk image I downloaded from the Bochs webpage (http://bochs.sourceforge.net/), and so far, so good. The Mac port is fairly new, it seems, and still has some issues to work out, but for the most part it's pretty painless, once you figure out what you're doing. The hardest part was figuring out how to edit the pref's file by hand, until I noticed that the program also comes with a 'sample prefs' file that tells you pretty much what you need to get started.
Now my biggest problem is that the only linux commands I know are 'ls', 'ping' and 'cd ..'! Arrrgh! How do I make it do anything?!
:-)
SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  19:01:49
You might as well run YDL. In fact, I'm using it right now. It runs fast on my 6400/180; it should run even faster on a G4. Bochs is a really slow emulator, and lots of things about it don't work quite right. VPC is OK, but Linux will still be slow on it, since video is still emulated.

There are lots of things to do in Linux. To start X, run the X configurator (Xconfigurator [return]), configure your display, and then type "startx [return]" to start X. ifup ppp0 will start your PPP connection if you've configured it, and ifdown ppp0 will disconnect. "links" will bring up a text-only browser if you've installed it (type g to bring up a URL entry field). "mount /dev/cdrom" will mount a CD-ROM. rpm -i PackageName will install a package, and rpm -e PackageName will remove a package.

I really do suggest a native install of YDL. It's easy to do and runs well.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  22:55:10
"the only linux commands i know are...."

Far be it from me to be "El Maestro Del Obviouso" but aren't those commands part of OS X as well?

Useless 6360av
16/1.2/8.6 :(
SE 4/20/HD/6.0.8 :)
Q840av - DEAD :`(
Q650 256/230/7.6 Woot!
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :PGo to Top of Page

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  23:03:13
Sorry to reply to myself, but this forum keeps logging me out so I can't append to my other post.

I tried bochs a few years ago on a blue and white (350 I think) running 8.5 and it felt amazing snappy. A few years later I tried it on a Beige G3-300 and it was ultra-slow. I was going to try to load nt 4 into the image but for some reason I couldn't get the cd working, so i was going to manually copy the directory into the image but the finder kept aborting the copy after a few files had copied.

Bochs is kinda a mixed bag. But it is understandable because it is written in a high-level language and is designed to be portable. The other option for the PC world would be Plex86 which runs real x86 opcodes through the real cpu. Of course this makes it x86 specific but much faster. (somewhat like running a classic window in OS X)

Virtual PC by Connectix supposedly will get you pretty decent speed if you are dead set on running a virtual os.

Useless 6360av
16/1.2/8.6 :(
SE 4/20/HD/6.0.8 :)
Q840av - DEAD :`(
Q650 256/230/7.6 Woot!
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :PGo to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  10:49:41
Hmmm...
I'd agree that Bochs is 'slow' by modern standards, but using an x86, text-based OS just brings back the memories of my (very!) early days of being a computer nut, staying up all night playing around with my first computer, an IBM 8088-based system (their first 'PC'). I'm not trying to get anything serious done, but rather goof around and see what the Bochs system is capable of. Also, it's great fun to be able to tinker and explore unix/linux without haveing the slightest worry about borking my 'real' computer... the worst that could happen is that I render the Bochs drive-image unusable, and just create a new image. Whew!
quote:
You might as well run YDL. In fact, I'm using it right now. It runs fast on my 6400/180; it should run even faster on a G4. Bochs is a really slow emulator, and lots of things about it don't work quite right. VPC is OK, but Linux will still be slow on it, since video is still emulated.
There are lots of things to do in Linux. To start X, run the X configurator (Xconfigurator [return]), configure your display, and then type "startx [return]" to start X. ifup ppp0 will start your PPP connection if you've configured it, and ifdown ppp0 will disconnect. "links" will bring up a text-only browser if you've installed it (type g to bring up a URL entry field). "mount /dev/cdrom" will mount a CD-ROM. rpm -i PackageName will install a package, and rpm -e PackageName will remove a package.
I really do suggest a native install of YDL. It's easy to do and runs well.

That's some really great info! I'll give those commands a try later. I tried running 'startx' last night, and (I think...) some type of X-windows system started loading, but then the emu hung at a black screen for about 10 min, and then went back to the commandline, with a bunch of errors about non-existant screens. I didn't know about a config utility for X until you mentioned it, so I'll see if I can't get the settings figured out... :-)
Also, I know that you're running YDL on your PowerMac 6400, but have you used it under Bochs? As you prob remember, I tried to get YDL installed/running on my PowerMac 6500/275, but was never able to get it installed correctly. On a completely unrelated note, I've got this crazy thought in my head to try to get the 6500's mobo crammed into a Color Classic, which would leave the 6400 free to tinker with YDL... but I digress.....
quote:
Far be it from me to be "El Maestro Del Obviouso" but aren't those commands part of OS X as well?

Yep, at least, as far as I know... I've just avoided trying much command-line tinkering with OS X, just because I'm certain that the moment I start, I'll somehow trash my system. I feel much safer learning the basics via emulation, where I won't loose anything too important, no matter how badly I screw everything up. When I feel a little more secure, you bet I'm gonna dive into the Terminal.app! :-)
quote:
Virtual PC by Connectix supposedly will get you pretty decent speed if you are dead set on running a virtual os.

I actually have VPC (version 5, I think...), but it turns out that it'll only run under OS 9 (not even Classic), which is a bummer, and it also takes up a HUGE amount of disk space... or at least it did the last time I tried. I'm thinking about clearing out some room on my TiBook's drive and re-installing VPC, minus the Windows2000 disk image (this is prob. what took most of the space), and seeing how it likes Linux.... but for the moment, I'll keep playing with Bochs under OS X. Plus, according to the Bochs webpage, we should be getting a massive upgrade by the end of the month! Time'll tell, eh?
Okay, later, folks!
:-)
SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  14:56:00
quote:
I tried to get YDL installed/running on my PowerMac 6500/275, but was never able to get it installed correctly.

I finally got it running right on the 6400. Download YDL 2.3 and burn it. Be sure you have plenty of RAM and a 2 GB + HD in the 6500. Run the text install with the 2.2 kernel. Home/Office install should work if you have a big enough drive; I had to do a custom package install with Home/Office install to remove some packages so it would fit on my 1.5 GB root partition. You'll probably want to use XFce as your desktop environment, or go without any desktop (like real UNIX types do).

Some of the command line in OS X is a bit different. For example, you probably should start X with XDarwin instead of "startx." The RPM command doesn't work with OS X packages.

quote:
it turns out that it'll only run under OS 9

It should run under 8.6 with CarbonLib.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.