Newton
 networking a newton
Author Topic  
madscientist
Starting Member

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  10:14:46
wehey! we have newton! the first one arrived and didnt work, so i got a replacement one (cost me $30 because i couldnt ship it back to the us from ni) and a battery cage and guess what? the first one worked!!!it was the ac adapter i was using Grrrrrrrrr!
actually i thought the replacement didnt work either. i put in the battery, turned it on an nothing happened- "<click>arrrgh, this ones not working either !damn piece of *$£%&^&%£$£& ^$£ ^%^36456.....oh wait, its on now"

anyway, theres nothing on it and i dont have a dongle. i have an imac (no irda), an lc3, two laptops (with irda), a hp jornada and a ethernet card which i think is compatible (i just havent checked yet).
can i put the ethernet drivers onto the newton (2100) without any additional pieces?
is ther any keyboards that dont need a dongle?
an why the heck did apple not just use a regular serial port instead fo that wierd on that really doesnt do anything without a dongle?

im irish, it is my duty to ask stupid questions.

(macs liberated:3 (well, its only been 2 months....)

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  10:50:41
Well... I'll answer these in random order:

quote:
an why the heck did apple not just use a regular serial port instead fo that wierd on that really doesnt do anything without a dongle?

Because it was made to be used with a variety of equipment, but the project was killed with the Newton itself. The Newton InterConnect Port allows for 2 serial ports, power in (that will charge the battery), Audio line in, Audio Line Out. Only the one dongle was ever made tho. I'm working on making my own Audio Dongle, and looking into what's needed to made a 2 serial port model.

quote:
a hp jornada

A What?

quote:
two laptops (with irda)

Mac or Windows laptops, and what models?

A Mac laptop with IrDA WILL allow you to get the ethernet drivers onto the newton... it'll take a bit of work tho. I'll post some more info soon, or after your respnse. And what model of Ethernet card?

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  10:56:59
http://www.tempel.org/newton/#DILplugin

that is the only way to use the Dock package on your Newton via IrDA, and is thus the only way you can load packages on a virgin Newt.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN

madscientist
Starting Member

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  11:58:47
the hp jornada is a pocket pc.

the laptops are both pc (xp and me) of obscure brands-ones from germany......

now that ive checked the brand of the card, it turns out its no longer in the country, my sister lent it to her friend in oxford, so the question apllie to any compatible card (once i get one off ebay)

(macs liberated:3 (well, its only been 2 months....)Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  18:44:37
That Newton DIL tester I linked to works in Windows it seems..give it a try..

~MarchieGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  23:13:19
quote:

. . . an why the heck did apple not just use a regular serial port instead fo that wierd on that really doesnt do anything without a dongle?

Marchie's answer is right on, it may be annoying at times, but putting a generic I/O interface very much like a PDS slot in the Newt should have allowed for goodies like the EyeModule Springboard Slot Camera that plugs into my Visor or a wireless modem or a GPS device or any number of cool things.

Turtlenecks must have been in conspicuously short supply in the orchard at the time!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

madscientist
Starting Member

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  09:34:00
but it wont work with windows over irda.......looks like ill just have to get a dongle then

think different-get a giraffeGo to Top of Page

madscientist
Starting Member

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  10:24:54
quote:
I'm working on making my own Audio Dongle, and looking into what's needed to made a 2 serial port model.

how would you do that?
i assume its simply a matter of the male interconnect cable, a female serial port and audio ports and simply join the wires correctly?

if it is, then what are the connector types if i go to maplin or somewhere?

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  11:56:33
my connector types are... dongles I buy for cheap that I can rip open and use... no one MAKES a connector like the Newton has anymore.

And this will actually be a super dongle of sorts... and yes, female serial and audio ports and such, and acutally use a PCB on the inside of the hard shell...I want to use velcro or some clips or something to fasten it to the Newt itself. The port on the Newt isn't as sturdy as it should be and will eventually cave in after use. The less I put it in and out the better.

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  18:56:14
dongles are fun!
get as many dongles as you can!
I have a 7300, but use a transciever instead of normal ethernet port, and I have that AudioVision monitor and it's dongle

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

madscientist
Starting Member

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  17:32:51
quote:
dongles are fun!

personally i wouldnt have said fun. i would have said "a pain in the ass to get hold of, a stupid excuse for not using a standard connector in the first place and garuanteed to destroy your newtons interconnect port (sooner or later) leaving you hoping like hell that you installed the right ethernet drivers beforehand"
but thats just me.

quote:
get as many dongles as you can!

because they are getting rarer on the us ebay, let alone in the uk (ive seen about 4 in the last 6 months, all part of a full newton setup)

quote:
my connector types are... dongles I buy for cheap that I can rip open and use... no one MAKES a connector like the Newton has anymore

where do you get them from? the only possible sorce for new ones is the connecor used in the fdd of an ibm laptop, but its not exactly the same.

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  12:40:51
well, I put the SER-001 (an board that puts a standard mac serial port into the Newt, that was devaloped by a guy in Ohio, and no longer available new, tho some newton users who have extras are selling them) into my 2100.

I have a Dongle however... I could sell it to you if you wanted. Marchie@mac.com

There are also Windows cables, which have a DB9 on one side and the male Newton connector on the other.

Interestingly over the past few weeks, some Newton developers are close (could be a couple weeks... could be a year) to releasing Package Installer programmes that work over IRDA (The newt is built to do this, but there are no apps that will do it that I'm aware of)

I'm looking into these, as there is a USB->IRDA adapter that works in OS X.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN

madscientist
Starting Member

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  18:01:25
quote:
well, I put the SER-001 (an board that puts a standard mac serial port into the Newt, that was devaloped by a guy in Ohio, and no longer available new, tho some newton users who have extras are selling them) into my 2100.

i had made my mind up to buy one of these about 2 hours before he announced he had sold the last of them

thanks for the offer of a dongle, but i already have one for comms and really ate importing stuff, but thanks for the offer
the irda thing looks interesting (altough few macs have it anyway...), but currently i have no idea whatits status is,-anytime anything get posted on newtontalk i get lost at about the third word.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.