68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 Who here doesn't mind the best of both worlds?
Author Topic  
MillenniumPanda
Starting Member

Australia
10 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  15:43:31
Who here likes using both Macs and PCs? I don't really find anything wrong with either platform as both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  15:49:53
I like both macs and PCs, however LOVE the Mac OS and DETEST!!!!!!!!! The Windows wanna-be OS. PCs still have good hardware that can do lots, it just is not used properly under windoze hehe. Just my loose change.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  16:10:06
I wish I could always get a Mac at the price of a PC...

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, SE 4/40, Classic II 4/40, IIx 8/160, IIvi 8/260, Quadra 650 32/260, Mac Quadra 650 64/350 via basilisk II, iMac 333 160/6G

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  16:28:21
quote:

Who here likes using both Macs and PCs? I don't really find anything wrong with either platform as both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I enjoy dumping on both platforms almost equally, but I enjoy playing with Macs much more than PC's. If there were decent collection of WWII Flight Sims for the Mac, I probably wouldn't bother with PC's very much at all.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  18:12:29
I love PCs, but only when they're not running Windoze. I have two Pentium boxes: one (P166) running OpenStep and BeOS, and the other (P233MMX) running QNX. Both are fast and stable, and they are both very capable and useful machines. I can't stand Linux or BSD; both require nearly a gigabyte just to have a GUI on par with OpenStep or the Mac OS.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  18:37:36
It sounds like I'm the only person who detests PC hardware. IMHO, modern operating systems share the same advantages and failings since they pretty much copy off of each other anyway.

But most of the hardware in the PC world is of very low quality and it is very difficult to purchase quality hardware because everybody seems to confuse it with features and speed. (BTW - I measure quality by a sound design, durability, longevity, and support.)

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  18:53:19
quote:

(BTW - I measure quality by a sound design, durability, longevity, and support.)

That's funny, I measure it by open slots and bays, enough pixels to fill a big display and power supplies capable of running more than a bare bones basic configuration.

Apple's designs were always cute and had nice fit and finish, but in my terms, were woefully inadequate thru most of the platform's history except for very high end systems which still had wimpy, crappy-ass custom power supplies plagued with high failure rates even running a minimum of expansion cards and almost nothing in the way of internal storage/removable media drives.

Apple hardware was more often a millstone around the neck of anyone trying to use a decent operating system on reasonably priced hardware than a liberating experience, but far preferable to depending exclusively on Windows machines, IMHO.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  19:00:59
Not to argue 2, but you *can* get quality PC parts, ala Voodoo PC, alien ware and the like.

I would have agreed with you about the OS part, but now that X is out, a whole new world is open. X is unlike most anything else seen in the common OS world.

I have seen a alienware setup running redhat, and it SCREAMS, however when dual booted in XP, the performance is lost again.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  21:56:27
To quote a certain Maniac:

"All Computers Suck"

-----------
However, I own 7 PC's, nearly 30 Macs, 2 Apple IIGS's, and a C128. I don't really have a problem switching between any of them...they usually do what I want them to do, when I want it done.

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 22 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  22:44:43
I have both macs and PCs, and am looking for a new PowerBook G4, AND a new dell desktop or server...

I really like my current 200MHz Pentium PC, it's running .NET, the latest in direct NT decendants, and it's very stable, the OS, it runs AppleWorks 5, and it actually connects to the internet faster than my iMac does

The hardware of my PC is also meets everyone here's requirements, although it's in a stable desktop case, it has room for 6 slots of ISA and PCI, and 2 external 5 1/2" drives.

in my NOT so humble opinion, any NT based OS from Microsoft, is very stable, and often has lasted longer under more strenous operating conditions than what of my iMac, and THAT is pretty sad... to know that the winNT based machine will last longer

so, i generally under the opinion, that if NT Was on the Mac hardware and took advantage of the cool things we have, it would be the best ever

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  23:44:31
quote:

you *can* get quality PC parts

I'm not saying that you can't find quality components in the PC world. I was simply saying that it is difficult to determine who makes the quality parts when everybody speaks in slots and pixels. People who measure in slots and pixels are not interested in quality, they are interested in performance. These are not the same thing (unless of course the machine cannot handle the task it was designed for).

quote:

X is unlike most anything else seen in the common OS world.

Cocoa looks great and Aqua is sharp, but other than that it looks like just another GUI on top of just another Unix. BTW - This is the perspective of a Unix user, not a Windows user.

II2II

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  23:44:43
I like both Macs and PCs. As you know, I have an iMac 333, a PB1400 and various 68ks, all of which work very well. I also have 5 PCs, two of which have only just come in, and that i haven't had a chance to test yet. They are an AMD K6 233, a Pentium 200, which will soon be replaced by the AMD as my main PC, a Pentium 166, and another machine i only got yesterday which i don't yet know anything about. I also have an old DECpc 325sx, which is a 386SX-25 with 8 megs of ram and a dying 100 meg HD. The P200 runs NT Workstation 4, the P166 runs Linux, and the other two don't yet have HDs. The 386 runs Windows 3.11. All these machines work very nicely, and do everything i want them to, ranging from playing old games (Doom 2!!!!!) to fiddling and overclocking and stuff. However, i still prefer my Macs, mainly because they're easier to work with, plus i like the Mac OS.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  17:54:18
I have to agree with trash on the fact that mac's design recently,a nd often in the past were very.....different. The new speedholes versions atleast have more drive bays, but still lack what most like/want/need in a tower.

Apple had it right with the 9x00/Beige G3 era, IMO. The PSU's were fairly adequate, a good bit of storage, and at the time, they were screaming fast.

As for the quality PC parts thing, its all so hodge-podge(sp?) that finding good combanations are too much work for people. They simply accept the first thing they see and overlook quality/quantity.

IMO, Be was almost a perfect blend of apple style/killer OS, and ultimate hardware, its a shame they went under I really want a BeBox, but they are so darned expensive!

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  19:54:57
Having lived with both platforms, My preference is Mac and will always be, but the PC world has it's merits too. I'm at a loss as to what they are at this time, but I'm sure there are some. My first Mac experience was an SE/30, 3 days later I bought a Classic and I have been hooked ever since. Yes, there are PC's in my house, but I rarely use them, I use PC's mostly at work. I don't have a choice, I work for the Government, but I've managed to make the best of the experience.
Desert Island choice; Macintosh G4 DP with a 23" Cinema display, my version of hell; Windows 3.00 on a 286 with a CGA monitor. If there were no other choice than a PC, I'd use Linux, to me its sheer range of choices and options are a joy for an option junkie like me.

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  21:17:55
Well I believe in using the right tool for the job whether that is a Mac or a PC. I like tinkering with old Macs and making them do things that they are not suppose to do. I did the same thing with PCs but wanted more of a challenge. I also believe that knowledge is power and you are better off knowing many OS platforms. After using computers of all types for 26 years they all had their pluses and minuses. Excuse me why I go back to my peek and poke commands on the C64 :)

Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  21:34:13
I have both Macs and PCs. I even have a fast and stable W98 set up. However, OS X is the only reason I've gone mac. I am not a fan of classic in any flavor. Ad Astra (my PC) is a PIII 750 with 512 megs of ram, 20 20 gig hard drives, scsi zip, dvd, and plextor cd burner.Its a great machine and most of my problems with it are not OS related, but I am always tinkering on it and upgrading, and earlier this year, I fried the chipset on my mobo. :(Still, as much as I liked W98, it's no OS X.

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  22:37:17
For me, computing has always be about the hardware- I'm really a gadget-junkie at heart, so as long as it's neat, I could care less what name is on the box. That said, I have had a long, sad history with Microsoft OS's (at least, anything after DOS 6.2 ) crapping out on me. I have chosen the Mac as my main computing platform because:

• The hardware is really really cool, and always has been, even as far back as the Apple 1 days, and right up to the PowerBook G4 I'm writing this on. Apple just kicks ass at taking the current 'cutting edge' and making it accessable to us end users. Look at a Lisa, or Quadra 950, or an XServe. Sure, they've had their bugs to work out (power supplies, crappy on-board video chips, etc.), but it's always evolving. I also like that, while there is an enormous amount of depth in terms of tinkering with the system (esp. under OS X), I never have to worry about IRQ conflicts, obscure, arcane drivers, etc. Except for SCSI, which falls under 'Black Magic', and doesn't count.

• I also love how Apple's hardware designs are really really cool to look at! Again, there have been some stinkers, but 9 out of 10 Mac's are better looking then nearly any WinTel systems I've ever seen. There are too many to list here, but the Color Classic, MacTV, Mac 128k, iMac, Flat-Panel iMac, and Duo laptops all spring to mind. Sure, some PC makers are finally getting the picture, but Apple's been crafting their products into industrial art since day one. Plus, there's always been a clear evolution of style with their product designs. You can look at a 'family tree' of Apple products from the last 20+ years, and easily see where each one built upon the innovations of the last. Put a Mac Plus down next to the newest eMac, and you can see the shared blood, both in terms of hardware and software/OS. Show me a PC maker that can claim the same.

• Finally, when all is said-and-done, my user experience with a Mac is soooooo much better then with a Windows PC. The community of Mac users (both 'real' and virtual) is so much more like a real family then it tends to be on the WinTel side. I'm not saying that all Windows users are rude trolls (far from it!), but Mac users tend to stick together. Hell, the very fact that I'm posting this message on a forum dedicated to helping other people continue enjoying their older Macintosh's is hard proof of what I'm saying. I tried for years, and I never found a community like this, centered around PC's. Case-in-point: How many virus's are set loose upon the PC-using masses, compared to Macs? In my experience, many (again, not all!) PC users have a 'me against the world' attitude, while Mac users (perhaps as a result of being marginalized by the 'mainstream' users for years) tend to look out for one another, and jump at the chance to help each other. Again, this forum is proof of this pattern.

Okay, I've had my say....... for now.....

SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"

Edited by - SpaceBoy on 14 Nov 2002 22:37:48Go to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  01:27:57
That brings to mind another neat thing. There seems to be a lot more (proportionally speaking) neat hardware for the Macintosh on the used market. I have managed to find top knotch video cards, video capture boards, ethernet cards, GPIB and A/D converters. Then there is the whole world of SCSI peripherals: server class hard drives, CD-ROM and CD-R drives, ethernet bridges (and I once saw a video bridge), scanners, and so forth.

II2II

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  05:44:03
I use both PC and Mac. I need both platforms, and I probably do more hours behind a PC than a Mac. Notice I say more hours, and not more work. I produce equal amounts of work, or end product, out of both platforms. But I have had more downtime, dataloss and a harder job installing software on a PC than a Mac.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

MillenniumPanda
Starting Member

Australia
10 Posts
Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  17:36:57
M$ Windows 2000 and XP are actually quite nice and stable operating systems.

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  18:50:16
2k and XP are only stable if they are on the newer hardware that supports them better. OS X does the same, but not quite as bad as XP IMO. My friend with a gateway (POS to begin with...) has had HORRIBLE trouble installing XP, and his machine is 1.4 GHz, *realatively* new in terms of being able to run OS's. I mean, beige G3's can run OS X, even if it is hard, and that is certainly farther back in terms of comp history.

Plus, even if they are stable, they don't look as good, work as well (in terms of OS to person interface), and hinder working habits. Again, IMO.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  19:28:43
I use PCs and Macs. True I don't have a next generation macintosh but
I think Windows isn't all that bad. Windows XP wasn't bad at all. It was more stable than the previos versions of Windows. I still like Linux as my main OS on my PC. There are plenty of commercial games as well as apps and utilities. Especially all the freeware that is out there for it. I still like the MacOS a lot however. I haven't used MacOS above 8.1 however. Keep that in mind.

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.