Lounge
 And now, for a heart warming story...
Author Topic  
Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 12 Nov 2002 :  20:51:10
Well, this is the story about my day today, and my latest find.

I was driving home from school earlier today, making my way down a back street while in the rain. It has been raining all day, fairly hard at times, so going back and forth to my car for my two classes kinda put me in a less than stellar mood.

Anyways, I was driving down the street, when I passed by a a pile of stuff being thrown out from a house, roughly a block from my house. As I passed by, I quickly glanced over to see and old couch, and two computers next to it.

The first one was a generic PC tower, maybe housing a 486 or Pentium 1... I really couldn't be bothered to find out. But the next one caught my eye for a sec... it was the back panel of a Mac! I couldn't tell exactly (I was going 30MPH), so I quickly turned around at the corner and drove back.

I quickly pulled up, popped the trunk, grabbed the system, and put it in, and drove away...

I didn't even know what model it was until I was at my house. All I knew was that it was an Instatower (6400/6500 case design). When I opened my trunk to get it out, I saw what I had. A Performa 6400/200! Unfortunetly the poor thing has been sitting outside in the rain part of the day, so dirt and water was all over it. When I found it, it's feet were submerged in a 1" deep puddle of water. I brought it down to my room, and put it in front of my dehumidifier, and began to dismantle it (to get better air flow)

The system is nicely loaded. 72MB of RAM (1x 64MB, 1x8MB). It also has a 256K L2 Cache card installed. In the PCI Riser, there was a USB PCI card installed as well. HD was a stock 2.4GB IDE drive. Luckly, I have more than enough parts lying around to upgrade the RAM, and add a second HD (1.2GB probably, because I have 5 pulled from old Power Mac 5260's)

So today, another Mac was almost given the worst fate, but it was rescued, and will now be given a good home, possibly as a future web/mail server. I just checked it when I got home from work, and the insides seem pretty dry, so I figure I can give it a test run later tonight. Stay tuned for that report.

As for the fate of the generic PC box, after I came back for the HD or anything else of value, I took it along for a ride... Lets just say it met a much less gentle fate (such as the front end of my van)

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV Stuff

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Nov 2002 :  21:22:42
good call there captain!

I wish a good your newly (stolen) liberated machine... we have NO idea what it's previous owners wanted to do with it, but I'm sure that when you hear the chime of life, it'll be the most rewarding chime of life you've ever heard

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 Nov 2002 :  21:31:35
Nice going

-danny
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 12 Nov 2002 :  21:33:46
OI, don't try start it yet,if the boards got wet, take everything off of them and rinse with distilled water to get rid of any crap and mud, etc. if you do not, you may get sad mac.

congrats on the find, I wish i was so lucky, I have been looking for a 6x00 machine for a looooong time.
good luck with bootulations
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 12 Nov 2002 :  22:11:22
the only board that got wet was the main logicboard, which was only wet on the bottom edge, and didn't make it as far as the CommSlot there. There wasn't any real dirt on the logicboard, so I don't think it will be much of a problem.

The parts that did get wet was the outer casing (all the plastic panels, and the subwolfer (which was partially submerged). Either way, the entire unit has been drying for about 8 hours, so I figure I'll go at it and test in a short while.

------------------

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 12 Nov 2002 :  22:30:06
make sure the sub is dry before rattling floors, otherwise you will be having problems with soggy material falling out of it.
CCC

68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  04:47:24
Nice Find Z. I have a 6500, formerly the MLA HL server, and it is a nice machine, especially for AV stuffins, hence why it is going into my home theatre.

quote:

make sure the sub is dry before rattling floors, otherwise you will be having problems with soggy material falling out of it.

Now Thats an interesting mental picture.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |

Edited by - Da Penguin on 13 Nov 2002 15:50:31Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  05:23:11
quote:

[/qoute]

Now Thats an interesting mental picture.

Yes it is.

-danny
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  12:17:59
rattling floors == startup bong on the 6x00 speakers

and now that I think about it, it is an interesting mental piccie
CCC

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  14:33:40
Well, last night, I ran a test to find out what was so wrong that this perfectly good Mac was thrown out. Apparently, the 2.4GB IDE HD bit the dust. No problem, I just popped a spare 1.2GB IDE drive in, reformatted, and installed 8.6 (I'll move to 9.1 when I put some more RAM in).

So all in all, I have a brand new system to work with, and fiddle with all the PPC stuff I've aquired too.

Unfortunetly, to my surprise, the Apple CS II Ethernet card I saw, wasn't. I accidently misidentified it. It is actually the Apple CS II Modem card. Something I don't really need... oh well. For the price I got it for, I can't complain much.

------------------

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  15:25:06
Should've taken the PC. You can always use the RAM and PCI cards in a Mac, or run BeOS or OpenStep on it.

Pull the CS II modem. It does a great job of stealing CPU cycles.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  23:30:31
quote:

rattling floors == startup bong on the 6x00 speakers

and now that I think about it, it is an interesting mental piccie

Glad to hear the story of the 6400 had a happy ending, Capt. And yes, I *LOVE* the 6400's subwoofer. Best built-in speaker i've ever heard.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.