68k Software
 Can anyone help? Need OS 7.6.x for _68k_ PB 540c
Author Topic  
cello
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  22:34:03
hi i am hoping someone is willing to put up somewhere a distribution of 7.6.x for 68k PB. My cd is dead and I can't rebuild my system anymore. I am getting error 97 (not -97) as if that helps.

any useful suggestions leading to a bootable mac again would be greatly appreciated

TIA...

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  22:44:47
Your best bet is to mount the PowerBook in Target Disk mode and install 7.6 from a working Mac.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  10:30:08
the 7.6 CD is composed of a bunch of disk images that you can open up and throw on floppys.... That's what I did!

cello
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  12:28:03
oh i know about the SCSI slave mode, i meant i don't HAVE a backup 7.6 install, the CD i had made is defective. so i am trying to get a new OS cd for this PB! so i am hoping to find someone who has this and is willing to pass along :/

my desktop mac uses os9/PPC so i need a 68k OS install. the pb used to use 7.6.1 per friend who repaired the mac for me a few yers back but now i can't find him and my backup is DOA.Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  14:21:50
What model is your PPC? Can it burn cds?
P.S.:
That yellow text makes it hard to read.

-danny
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

LC580Forever
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  15:36:15
I've been looking for this version as well. I recently purchased an LC580, but the computer was such a mess that I decided to format it. No restore media was included, so I lost the OS and all of the software on it.

Anybody here have any copies of Mac OS 7.6, Microsoft Works (3.0 or 4.0), or Claris Works? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

My Macintosh: LC 580Go to Top of Page

LC580Forever
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  21:49:13
Nobody? :(

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  22:23:19
Maybe if you let us know your location someone in your area will lend you one.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

sosumi
not the MAF mod

USA
129 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  03:05:28
I've got a performa 636 install cd that has 7.5.1 and clarisworks 3.0 on it if that will help.
updates for 7x are here:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html#system

if you want to send me a blank cd and a return addressed, stamped mailer, I'll burn you a copy.

sosumi
68k macs liberated:3Go to Top of Page

cello
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  09:43:38
hi sorry about the yellow font. i can't read the blue font so i dunno wazzup. i use opera 5 as my browser.

anyway. good news for me/others is i did find a backup copy of my system folder on one of my (surprise) backup HDs. I thought I'd long ago purged them of older OSes. I was able to boot my 7.6.1 externally and copied it over to the local HD and rebooted. It booted but something was up with the drive and thought it got to the desktop, nothing else could go (it would hang) so I think that is a new version of the original problem where I couldn't boot up at all. I ran a bunch of diagnostics and then rebooted now the drive doesn't show up at all on local or remote bootup so maybe it is now dead?

i tried zapping pram. i am so bummed. the pb is in great shape and i just need to get it working again so i could use it again.

meantime to other dude need 7.6.x i don't have the install disks myself so again would love those too, happy to share what I have w/u but don't think it would have the right enabler for your system?Go to Top of Page

triumph_larry

USA
54 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  13:02:51
I have a 7.6.1 install CD, email me your snail and I'll send it your way.

---
The problem with computers is they do exactly what you tell them to. Now where's that fuggin 'any' key?

Macs liberated thus far: SE-30, Performa 6320CD and Duo 280c.Go to Top of Page

LC580Forever
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  20:22:48
Thanks for all of the offers, but I decided to use OS 8.1 on the LC580. Also, I located a copy of ClarisWorks 5.0 on the official Hotline server.

Thanks again to everybody who offered to help! :)

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.