All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 A quick shot of handy laserwriter knowledge
Author Topic  
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  20:11:38
I don't know if this is the case for LW's besides the 4/600, as I haven't studied their manuals, but here's something VERY useful that I finally deduced.

If the front of your page if covered in toner, you need a new toner cartridge. The cleaning blade on your current one is worn out and can't scrape all the extra toner off of the main drum.

The service manual lists a dirty transfer roller as the cause of toner on the back of the page, but I didn't realize that this was because the transfer roller only touches the back of the page. The toner drum only touches the front of the page. I hope someone else hadn't realized this either...maybe I've done a service!

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }

Master of Puppets
Starting Member

32 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  20:45:33
I did not know that, and that explains why the backs of all my pages have toner on them. I have a pro 600/32

Go to Top of Page

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 19 Nov 2002 :  00:29:34
And if your pages print but then the text blows away, you need a fuser. Constant paper jams, check for junk on the rollers, or make sure the rubber hasn't gone to poop. In that case, use some clean water to rub the shine off.

Useless 6360av
16/1.2/8.6 :(
SE 4/20/HD/6.0.8 :)
Q840av - DEAD :`(
Q650 256/230/7.6 Woot!
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :PGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  23:52:37
The service manual actually has a very comprehensive section on diagnosing these kinds of problems, but of course the one it left out was the one I had...

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 4}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2002 :  07:17:27
Here's another problem solved by replacing the toner cartridge.

About a year ago our 360 started screwing up -- it would print part of a page, then a white gap, then the rest of the page shifted a random amount to the right. It also was leaving goopy black marks along the edge that looked like dribbles of toner running toward the center of the page.

At first the gapped and shifted pages where a 1-in-a-hundred problem, but then it slowly got worse and worse. We started to worry that our much loved Laserwriter was on its way to Apple heaven. Then, I began to wonder if the goopy edge marks were being caused by high voltage leakage from the corona wires in the cartridge. I thought that just maybe a bit of wayward high voltage was also causing glitches in the electronics and the resulting gapped and shifted pages. So, I replaced the cartridge and haven't had any trouble since then!

My lesson from all this is "when in doubt, try changing cartridges."

Cheers,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.