68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Got me a Centris 660AV! Now what to use it for...
Author Topic  
MillenniumPanda
Starting Member

Australia
10 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  02:02:51
Got a great little Centris 660AV. Came with a 12X SCSI CD-ROM, 68Mb of RAM as well. :D I plugged in my spare 540Mb SCSI HDD, now wondering what to do with it... it flies under MacOS 7.5.3!

How could i make use of the AV components?

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  02:36:25
Great score! You can make use of the AV ports by doing the following:

1. You can use a TV as a monitor or record video to a VCR by holding down Command, Option, T and V, or something like that.

2. Apple Video Player will allow you to plug something into the AV in ports, and display the input in a window on the screen.

Btw, this should be in 68k Conquests. ~Coxy will probably move it there when he gets back.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  01:29:11
umm... ML5... Are you feeling OK? because unless it was already moved... this IS in 68k conquests :)

great job on getting that 660Av though... the AV machiens are really SCHWEET computers...

I usually used mine for capturing video and simple cut and edits and the like... sometimes it's input is grainy... and you find yourself changing the # of display colors alot in order to see things in rightly color when you've frozen the screen or recoreded a video...

an interesting thing comes to mind... an interesting thing that'd work better with an 840AV and one of those Jackhammer SCSI cards, and even a different AV card and some HUGE A$$ HDDs.. if you were able to set it up to record TV shows (thru an external tuner) that'd be cool, or you could record your entire VHS collections over to the HD and catalog them and have then accessable thru a filemaker pro database :)

just some thoughts

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  02:50:07
quote:

umm... ML5... Are you feeling OK? because unless it was already moved... this IS in 68k conquests :)

Well, unless my caffiene hangover lasted longer than i thought it did , I found it in General 68kMLA News and Stuff. ~Coxy moved it here today iThink.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

tuuur
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  04:08:08
Great conquest, congrats!

I still got one centris660AV at home, but I got no idea how to set up such a TV-recording system. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

--
I'll never get out of this world alive...

Liberated 15 68k Macs!Go to Top of Page

MillenniumPanda
Starting Member

Australia
10 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  05:57:05
atm it's being used to run my Playstation and it does a fairly okay job!

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  12:15:02
Great find!

I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but, since we're on the subject of av; I have a 6400/180 with Phillips tuner and av input cards I pulled from a 5200. It's running on 8.1 right now, bug I'm thinking of going up to 8.6. Anyway, does anyone have some good ideas for video capture software for this setup?

Thankss.

The Lightning StalkerGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  12:37:47
I sometimes like to hook my 840AV into a REALLY BIG teebee and play around with the OS and junk... in fact one day, I made a movie with PowerPoint for the video and QT for the audio... my teacher REALLY liked it aparently...

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  13:26:20
ehehhehehehehehe

one time, i had the plesure of hooking up my pb 180 to our school's video projector... oh MAN... it was one of the most deep town satisfying things to be playing spectre VR at 800x600 on our gym's wall.... oh my god. it was like masterbation of the soul... if i was really wanting something to do, i'd hook an apple ][ up to a plasma screen display at future shop. people would proboly start staring at me... or hook my powerbook upto it and then put in big letters 'my old laptop can do more then yournew desktop' in big letters... they would proboly turn into microsoft zombies and kick me out of the store, or try and suck out my soul.

thnxnxnxpairjht
'WINDOWS IS THE SOURCE OF ALL THE WORLD'S PROBLEMS'

10000Th poster in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  14:25:28
quote:
one time, i had the plesure of hooking up my pb 180 to our school's video projector... oh MAN... it was one of the most deep town satisfying things to be playing spectre VR at 800x600 on our gym's wall.... oh my god. it was like masterbation of the soul...

COOL! Hehehehe, i kinda felt the same way when i first got my Apple Presentation System and got it all hooked up and stuff. There's nothing quite like playing Myst on a 51cm TV screen....

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  16:09:29
HAHA!

Masturbation of the Soul

That is a GREAT term....

~MarchieGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  16:31:29
quote:

HAHA!

Masturbation of the Soul

That is a GREAT term....

What . . . soul spanking?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  12:12:27
Funny the topic of self-pleasure-vation and computers would appear in the same place, it's a well known theory that the two are much inter-twined. Even more coincidental, is the mention of a 660AV and a 6400, both of which I own. Hmm...interesting.

I have used a LCD projector to show some of my photography (hooked to a PC, unfortunately.) It is an experience that one should not miss in his/her lifetime to see your work on a grand scale, especially if it's on a Mac.

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.