All Forums
 68k Conquests
 SE/30
Author Topic  
SneakyFungus
Starting Member

19 Posts
Posted - 07 Nov 2002 :  22:59:19
Stopped by a thrift store today that I haven't been to for a long time.
I stopped going there because there was hardly anything good or at least with a resonable price, and often another location had better deals anyways.

I was quite surprised to see quite a bit of Mac items there.
Looking around, I saw a Classic, Plus, 12" RGB display, 14.4 Mac and Fax external modem, and some other things which in my current state of tiredness I cannot seem to remember.

Then something caught my eye, an SE/30.
I continued to look around in hopes of finding something else worth checking out also, but came back to the SE/30. Found a power cord, and fire it up. Works. Huge list of extensions causes it to take quite a while to boot. Bought it for $14.99 ($9.6 USD), bring it home and clean it up a bit. Fire it up again. Appears to have 8 MB RAM, 80 meg HDD with System 7.1. It has a bunch of office apps, some audio and video apps, and some internet software.

In the first few minutes it was running I kept getting harassed about a printer not connected - a StyleWriter II. Which when I think back was being sold seperatly at the thirft store.

Now it just needs an Ethernet card.

Back to the thrift store, there was also an Apple Display III (similar name anyways) on top of some old televisions.

Finishing up:
- can anyone recommend a diagnostics program which will display system configiration such as RAM, HDD, and so on but which can display this when first run without requiring mouse or keyboard?
I'd like to find something like this to replace the Finder with to put on a boot disk for thrift store finds like this.

- are there any versions of office apps anyone really wants that you might be looking for before I reformat the drive and throw on System 6.0.8?

Let me know.

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2002 :  18:49:10
Get an ADB trackball to bring into the thrift shops, show them at the counter so they don't think your stealing.
Geoff

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.