Lounge
 Question about partitioning my HD?
Author Topic  
The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  12:34:46
Hi all,
Does anyone here know of a utility that can create and resize HFS partitions without destroying the data on them, like Partition Magic does on the PC? It's really annoying to have to move all the files to another hard drive to change partitions and then move everything back. And then you don't know if it will work or if you lost anything in the process.

Thanks for any info.

And we march on!

The Lightning Stalker

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 07 Nov 2002 :  02:48:03
As fas as I know there is nothing like that for the Mac (and for that matter it's a dangerous operation on the PC anyway. Partition Magic - it's magic if it does not completely screw your disk!)

cheers
Flash!

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 07 Nov 2002 :  06:09:51
IIRC, FWB HD Toolkit will do it. They shipped a light version with LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 that could resize your Mac partition.

As for PC partition resizing, use Diskeeper to do a complete defrag and then run fips.exe from a boot disk. It's worked fine for me.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 07 Nov 2002 :  21:27:38
Thanks, oldmacman.

As for Partition Magic, I've used it a few times and it's never screwed up any partitions on my PCs. I have heard that it could, though, especially if your power goes out half way through the resizing process. Always back up if your life is on that hard drive, though! Except if you're like me and live dangerously. It's not really important to me if anything does go wrong. I'm not afraid of starting over again from scratch. It's good practice

The Lightning StalkerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.