68k Peripherals
 Getting my Mac SE talking to my PC
Author Topic  
Beanie
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  00:37:35
Hi all! I'm new here, this is my first post, and I'm primarily a PC user. But I keep finding myself plopped in front of my SE more and more lately, and the humoungus box of Mac software that my next-door neighbor gave me is giving me more of an excuse to stare into that little monochrome screen.

Anyhow, speaking of that huge box of software, I've noticed that many of the disks are more than seventeen years old, and I have a feeling that the magnetic media may not hold up for a whole lot longer. So far, I've only found one disk that I can't get running. (Unfortunately, it's a game on the wantlist at mac.the-underdogs.org!) I'd like to archive them into some more reliable form (something optical, CD's perhaps). I'm not sure how many of you have looked into the hardware differences between the Mac floppy and the PC floppy, so I'll try to make a little explination here, hopefully without going into too much detail, or confusing myself. :)

The Apple SuperDrive, or FDHD, was developed with compatability with PC disks in mind. As such, the new 1.44MB format Mac disk was formulated with an architecture similar to that used on the PC. But, since the double- and single-sided disks came out much earlier, they lack this compatability. So, a 1.44MB PC drive can read Mac 1.44MB disks without anything more than some special software, but anything less than that is impossible, from a hardware standpoint. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please, it would be a lot easier to archive these disks if all I have to do is stick them in my PC and image them.)

So, the easiest way I can see to archive these disks is make the images, and then transfer them over the network (via TCP/IP or IPX/SPX preferably) to my PC. I have a Dayna ethernet card installed in my SE, so I'd like a little help, if anyone has some to offer! AppleTalk isn't out of the question, but I'll have to do it over Linux or FreeBSD, as Microsoft pulled AppleTalk support from WinXP for some reason...

Oh, and by the way, I will eventually compile a list of this software (and there is a LOT) and post it up here.

--Beanie

How many Macs do I own?

Two:
MacSE SuperDrive running System 7.0.1, souped up with 4MB RAM.
Mac Classic, unfortunately dead, and slated to become an aquarium.

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  11:47:33
If you install System 7.1 or better, you should be able to just do TCP/IP over Ethernet.

Failing that, there's always a null modem connection and transfer via a terminal programme.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  12:29:19
You can always try MacTCP and NCSA Telnet (which includes a small FTP server) to transfer those images. Try www.jagshouse.com since both programs (and much more) comes in a nice 'web access kit.' MacTCP is also available from Apple (as a developer kit at ftp.apple.com) and NCSA Telnet is available from NCSA (ftp.ncsa.edu). Windows XP (hopefully still) includes an FTP client.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

Beanie
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  17:32:12
Is System 7.1 available on Apple's website? I know that I could use system 7.5, and I've already downloaded it, but I don't want to take that performance hit. Plus, transferring 19MB with floppies isn't exactly easy.

--Beanie

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  18:44:41
http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/

google is your friend :) try install basilisk II on your PC, and fololow the instructions to get ethernet support (Basilisk II is an emulator for 68k Macs) and you can use XP to transfer between your boxen. Gemul8r explorer is good for writing disk copy images to/from disks using a PC, easier than RAWriting the things. TransMac is a utility for reading Mac disks in PCs and also creating mac disks, and creating a resource fork on all files you transfer with file type/creator.

anyway, good luck on archiving all of those mac disks.
if you get Basilisk working, Play MARATHON!!!!!

download it from here:
http://www.hot.ee/macgames/

CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  20:58:55
Use DiskCopy to save all your diskettes as disk images. I've done something similiar to what you did and burned the images to cd. It's like having virtual copy to all those disks.

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, SE 4/40, Classic II 4/40, IIx 8/160, IIvi 8/260, Quadra 650 32/260, Mac Quadra 650 64/350 via basilisk II, iMac 333 160/6G

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

Beanie
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  19:21:55
Regarding Basalisk II,

Doesn't it require a 512K ROM? The SE's is only 256.

--Beanie

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  19:50:20
I'm not sure what it requires, but there is a version of BII that comes with a rom and startup disk (you will want to create your own though) at http://www.hot.ee/macgames/emu.htm
try that and see if you like it. I happen to like the Q650 ROM that I have, so if you have a friend with a Q650, you are in luck
CCC

68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV

Beanie
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2002 :  11:59:26
Thanks to everyone for your help. I got Basilisk running properly, and I'm actually posting through it right now, and it shouldn't be too difficult to get the SE talking to my Emulated Mac, and get these disks archived.

And now I remember why I stopped using Netscape. The older versions parse really slow. (They do on the PC too.)

I'll get that list up sooner or later.

(Hmm... should I write my C++ assignment in Symantec C++ for the Mac? Might be fun...)

--Beanie

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2002 :  15:43:37
Interesting. I've got this old Compaq all-in-one PC (Prolinea Net1/33S, to be exact), a 486, 20MB RAM, which I inherited from another office. This dog came with Windows for Workgroups 3.1, which I replaced with Win95, hoping to use it as a workstation--but turned out SQL Server's client wouldn't install (needs a Pentium or greater), so it sits in a closet.

With Basilisk, though, conceivably I could turn it into a 68K Mac! The revenge of Macintosh. Would Basilisk work on a PC this old?

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2002 :  15:57:39
It would not run very well. I ran BII on my P233, and it ran like molassas in january in the northern hemisphere

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  15:19:39
As far as I know, there is NO emulator for the SE. VMac needs a 128k/plus/512k(e) rom image and the SE won't work. Amazingly you can make a 4mb 128k mac.

Useless 6360av
16/1.2/8.6 :(
SE 4/20/HD/6.0.8 :)
Q840av - DEAD :`(
Q650 256/230/7.6 Woot!
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :PGo to Top of Page

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  15:21:57
I used to run Executor on a 486 to play rebel assault for the mac. I also used to play castles on it. Strangely enough the fast graphics of rebel assault worked just fine on the 486. Although Executor is not a true mac emulator, more of a mac-like environment.

Useless 6360av
16/1.2/8.6 :(
SE 4/20/HD/6.0.8 :)
Q840av - DEAD :`(
Q650 256/230/7.6 Woot!
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :PGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.