Linix on a Quadra 630
Author Topic  
marmanold
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2002 :  07:58:04
Hey,
I have an old Quadra 630 that I'd like to play around with. I would like to install Linux or something just so I'll have something to play around with when I'm bored. What is the best type of Linux or Unix for me to install. I'd like for the installation to be simple because I've never done anything like this before. Also, I'm not going to partition the harddrive. I'll just delete the Mac OS and install only Linux on the machine. I'd really like any help I could get on this topic. Thanks.
-Michael

Macs Liberated:
Mac classic II-1st Mac :)
Quadra 630
Mac LC

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2002 :  10:45:52
Well, you HAVE to have a Mac OS partition of 10MB or so to run Linux on a 68k Mac. The Linux hackers have not managed to get around parts of the ROM system yet, and you must boot into the Mac OS first, albeit a very slimmed down one.

Second: http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/

third: Read thru the FAQ at the above site.

forth: The installation I don't think can be "simple"... maybe "not hard", but there are good walk throughs.

Good luck!

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

marmanold
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2002 :  20:16:08
Thanks for your help. Now I have anyother question. When I install this Debian Linux will it already have the operating system installed. I mean the graphical interface. I don't want Linux to type in code. I just want a different operating system to play around with for a while. I also think it would be cool to set up a Linux server from my room or something. Will this Linux run current Linux programs from the web like staroffice and stuff? I don't really know much about Linux so any help would be great.

-Michael

Macs Liberated:
Mac classic II-1st Mac :)
Quadra 630
Mac LCGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2002 :  21:29:36
the X Free 86 GUI is installed, yes... You might have to trigger it manuall, in which case you should try "x start" at the command prompt.. the FAQ can tell you more.

don't take that as a "Read the F***** Manual" line either.. I honestly am not sure, other than that's the place to find out. :-)

StarOffice......... I don't think so. You might have luck with AbiWord tho... That's a good question.

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2002 :  21:41:18
you got it backwards, it is startx to start the XF86 server.
just thought I'd clarify the point
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  03:29:27

Linux for the 68k has most things that are on your usual Linux distros except audio support (I think it can make Beep noises).

Seeing that Apple won't release much 68k hardware info the Linux 68k port has a few things missing especially audio support for the standard ASC (Apple Sound chip).

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  15:02:16
quote:
When I install this Debian Linux will it already have the operating system installed. I mean the graphical interface.

Yes. The whole graphical interface for Linux is really bloated and slow. XFree86 was intended for use in a client-server environment where you would run programs on a mainframe computer and display them on a separate terminal. Because of this, it takes more CPU time than it should. I've never run X on a 68k, but I'd expect it to be pretty slow, especially with any sort of desktop installed (Gnome or KDE). You're best off running a really basic window manager like twm or blackbox and launching whatever programs you need from an xterm. The desktop and file manager are all RAM and CPU hogs in Linux; you can start programs by opening an xterm and typing in the program name (like "gtcd &" [return]).

TWM looks like this:

http://www.plig.org/xwinman/screenshots/twm-keppler.gif

and BlackBox looks like this:

http://www.plig.org/xwinman/screenshots/blackbox.jpg

quote:
Will this Linux run current Linux programs from the web like staroffice and stuff?

Yes and no. You won't be able to run GIMP, StarOffice, Mozilla, Gnome, KDE, or any of the other modern programs. However, you'll be able to run the latest version of X (GUI), lynx (text-only web browser), pine (email), emacs/vi/pico (text editor), and various other command-line and X programs.

How much RAM do you have? If you're planning to run X, you'd better have at least 40 MB, and that's a bare minimum. A large (750+ MB) hard drive is also required.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  18:26:50
A couple of notes:

(1) The version of twm in Debian (as of 3.0 for 68k, anyway) includes the ability to launch apps from a GUI: you hold down the mouse over the background (anywhere there's not a window or menu), and a pop-up app launcher/menu appears.

(2) I've run The GIMP from twm in Debian running on a Quadra 605 (25MHz full 68040, 36MB RAM). Launching is pretty slow, but once launched it runs fine. I would recommend, however, that one use a monitor capable of resolution greater than 640x480--the GIMP initial setup window (and various other windows in other GUI apps) won't scale to fit the smaller screen (not to mention all the palettes GIMP has, leaving little room to display the image you want to work on).

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
Q605 w/full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, 8.1, Debian Woody
SE/30 w/IIsi ROM, 20/500/enet, A/UXGo to Top of Page

ConsoleCowboy
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  10:57:02
quote:

TWM looks like this:

http://www.plig.org/xwinman/screenshots/twm-keppler.gif

and BlackBox looks like this:

http://www.plig.org/xwinman/screenshots/blackbox.jpg

I'm just curious : are these screenshot taken from an actual Linux m68k system ?

:wqGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  14:52:01
I agree with Dana that X is pretty snappy, but only when you're running a simple window manager. On my 6400 with RAM-based video, it feels pretty fast, but screen updates aren't quite what I'd like them to be. Anyone here know how to compile a kernel to support the S3 Virge/DX card I have laying around?

If X is too slow for you, just use the console! I'm posting to the forums with Lynx in the Linux console right now. It's faster than my iMac and it works just as well.

I found a graphical desktop that might work well on 68k Macs, XFce. It runs really fast on the 6400, and it was only a 3 MB download. It feels almost like CDE.

About getting Linux to run: the struggle to make everything run right is half the fun!

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3

Edited by - oldmacman on 06 Nov 2002 16:26:20Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.