All Forums
 The Website Forum
 Hotline Network
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 25 Dec 2001 :  08:30:00
Ok, starting a new topic just for hotline so its all less confuzzling. Hotline server is completely up and running for good now and some small manual and software files have been placed online already. I still need to find out if my domain name will work though. If so you can count my machine in 24/7. Ok tahts all for now. Meryy Christmas to all and Happy Holidays

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
|Macs liberated: 3|
|Windoze users converted: 2|

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 25 Dec 2001 :  23:18:11
Thanks So Much we now have 1/3 of the server up!

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napolean

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2001 :  07:38:12
I NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING!!!!!! Ok sorry about that sudden burst of energy. Anyhow has anyone tried hotline-'ing' to my domain name, http://torpedobird.com ? If so does this work? Please some one try and write back it will save me a tremendous amount of work. Thanks

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2001 :  10:50:49
WEll, since that was the first time I've seen an IP address or URL in this thread, I haven't been ABLE to go and look.

Useing HTTP looks good.

Don't have hotline at the moment, I'm house sitting.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2001 :  14:24:52
The http doesnt do it. it'll need to be something like 68k.torpedobird.com. I'm not sure how to do that, though. Hey, everyone pat me on the back, I've uploaded tons of stuff!

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2001 :  15:20:35
First off thanks to candypunk is well deserved. Almost all files have been uploaded by capndypunk, thanks. I cannot check to see if my http addy works because i am behind my router. All im using is a forwarding service that handles my http serving. Anyone has any ideas i would appreciate them. Thanks

~the penguin

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2001 :  21:49:28
Just put in "www.torpedobird.com" in the Server Address field, and it will let you in.

I just got on to see what I can contribute. Here is what I uploaded:

Powerbook 500 series Service Manual
Powerbook 150 Service Manual
Powerbook 190/5300 Service Manual
Netscape Communicator 4.0.8 (Last version 68K compatable)
Quicktime 4.0.3 (Last version 68K compatable)
ClarisWorks 5.0v1 Office ((Last version 68K compatable)

Enjoy. I'll be back another time. BTW, very good speed (110K/sec)

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2001 :  10:13:28
Thanks captain for trying the torpedobird address. This now saves me a lot of work and when/if my IP address changes the domain name will remain the same. So everyone please use "www.torpedobird.com" when trying to connect. Also thanks captain for the files. The speed is interesting, sometimes it is fast like taht other times it comes almost to a crawl. Hmmmm....

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2001 :  12:04:38
Uhhhh....Claris 5? That doesn't sound like abandonware to me.....though I guess appleworks 6 won't run on 68k so it's not hurting business....Hmm, how does that one sound to everyone else?

{ candyPunk }

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2001 :  13:19:27
Claris 5 is fine. I have around 600 MB still available for the server so we could end up putting all the versions on hehe. Also incase anyone wants to try I have set up a 'members' account with more features. You should be able to login in with the following and gain some more features:
Name: (any name you want)
Login: 68kmla
Password: 68k
Let me know if this works and if it doesn are there enough privleges? If not what would you like added?

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2001 :  14:25:01
The acct needs the privilege to move files. I made a folder for powerbook manuals but couldn't put them in it!

{ candyPunk }

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2001 :  14:35:44
A suggestion: the HL server could be a place to trade files and images for the website and colaborate in a central place as opposed to waiting for so and so to send their stuff to...um, is it Firewire is Fast who's in charge of the site? Anyway, if you have some possible pages or images or whatever, how about we make a section on the server for website stuff? In fact, I'll make the folder now...hehe that's something the account CAN do...

{ candyPunk }

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 31 Dec 2001 :  08:01:09
Ok. I have set up 68k.torpedobird.com and have it forward to the hotline client. Let me know if this works. I have also added the privleges as requested by candyPunk. In OTHER news I moved all the files to the larger drive had mentioned earlier. So we still have a nice '432.6 MB available' accouding to the get info window.
Thanks to all who have helped with files. Ok my update for today is hopefully done.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 31 Dec 2001 :  10:39:44
I put ClarisWorks 5 up becuase Claris no longer exists. You are thinking of AppleWorks, which we can't put up because it is still in distribution.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 31 Dec 2001 :  11:06:35
All of the copyrights and distribution rights of ALL Claris software is owned by either Apple computer or the Filemaker company.

Claris was bought by Apple, and ClarisWorks became AppleWorks.

Legally we ar NOT allowed to post and distribute ClarisWorks.

I'll be downloading it tonight...

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 31 Dec 2001 :  11:39:19
technically lots f the software is 'illegal' but im working on a disclaimer like napster's right now. basically keep everything 'legal' and all.

~The penguin

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 31 Dec 2001 :  14:33:33
You'll notice that napster was shut down. I think we'll be ok, though. I mean, obviously Adobe owns the rights to Photoshop, and this presumaby includes versions 1.0 and 3.0 which I UL'ed, but are they honestly going to care, if they somehow one way or another actually found out? Hotline servers don't get shut down.

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candyPunk on 31 Dec 2001 14:38:27Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  00:58:11
I've got Claris versions 2,3,4, and 5... where can I get #1?

Anyway, I've got a frickin' lot of old software, I'll see what I can do about getting some of it up...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  02:12:33
I'm in, nice place. I need to get a Mac online so I can upload some stuff...

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  19:42:19
Little news brief:

For the Macs that share cases (ie: IIvi, IIvx and Performa 600), We should have 2 copies of that same file. In this example, one file would be "Macintosh IIvi_IIvx" in the Macintosh II folder. The other one would be "Performa 600" in the Performa folder.

This would be nice for amateur liberators. If they happened to liberate a Performa 600, they would look in the Performa folder and see "P600" with Macintosh IIvi_IIvx infront of it. Although not a problem for "seasoned" liberators, it could make an amatuer very confused.

Well anyhow, Da Penguin consented to this plan so I thought I'd just let you know before you start renaming files to add models.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  21:03:24
Depending on how the server is set up, there's a wonderous thing called "aliases" that work to direct information.

Or we could retitle them "IIvi/vx/P600"

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 01 Jan 2002 :  23:39:05
Yeah, aliases, heh heh. But it's not like we have a space constraint. We have something like 500 more megs. What's the exact figure, Penguin?

{ candyPunk }

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 02 Jan 2002 :  00:13:02
Hey just got in the server and it rocks! Im have fun and I added some sub folders and posted some news. The HTTP and FTP server that im hosting will be up soon like middle January. Great job thanks for everyones contribution!

jeremy

Napolean

Covert Ops

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 02 Jan 2002 :  14:00:57
Ok....*looks at other computer*...470.8 MB left as of when I'm writing, so we should be safe. Then again so far 241.1 MB have been uploaded in what? No more than a week? Oh well if we run out of room im sure we can somehow find more space. Which brings up another point. Sosumi uploaded dropstuff. I would appreciate it if any files over 1 MB (besides PDF Manuals, etc.) could be 'stuffed.' Aliasing is an option, but personally I do not have the time with school and all to do that and keep it updated. I fear that would only complicate things more. Instead giving the file an extended name with all the 'compatibles' included in it I think would work much better. Well I have to go. Thanks to all who have helped so much.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 02 Jan 2002 :  14:23:00
quote:

Yeah, aliases, heh heh. But it's not like we have a space constraint. We have something like 500 more megs. What's the exact figure, Penguin?

I wouldn't say that if I was you.

Last year, I used to run a Hotline Server, I installed a 60G HD into my tower before I left for Spring Break. Half way through the break, the server grew from 5GB to 55GB in size. I still to this day am looking for another HD to add and increase space.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 02 Jan 2002 :  15:24:06
Ok that worries me. However, what exactly was your server for? Remember we are talking about 68k machines and in all their life Harddrives never reached more than 1 GB, actually less (to my knowledge sorry if i am wrong), Sooooo, in theory we should be fine. The only problem may rest in if we ever come across OS's or larger files like that. But continue uploading regardless. Oh BTW, would anyone happen to have memory (For PM 7200) that they would either sell me cheap or donate? The server is running off of Virtual memory right now, not real healthy. All I have is a 32 MB chip. Well anyhow mail me if you can help. Magicpenguin@mac.com

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 03 Jan 2002 :  12:57:17
Why don't you stuff everything that's already been uploaded? That would save us some space already. If we run up against the limit and we really think we need to continue to increase the size, im sure we can find 5 people to chip in 4 dollars to buy an external scsi HD off of ebay.

{ candyPunk }

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 03 Jan 2002 :  13:17:19
I am tryin got stuff as much as i can as it is. I was just posting to inform you all taht iw tould be appreciated. Also some uploads are really not necessary, i.e.: Mac OS X update? You people REALLY think taht will run on a 68k? wow....ok that is all, for now

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 03 Jan 2002 :  13:24:02
quote:

Also some uploads are really not necessary, i.e.: Mac OS X update?

Hahaha. Who uploaded that one?? Or do they care to remain anonymous?

{ candyPunk }

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 04 Jan 2002 :  16:11:35
Ok server just went down and I am at my G/f's House so I cannot do anything. I will attempt To have the server up around 9 P.M (Eastern, pittsburgh) Ok sorry about any problems this may bring. Wow this aint good. Well anyhow gtg, sorry about the server

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 04 Jan 2002 :  20:18:25
Ok the world is saved, sorry it was an hour late. ow am I a geek I'm fixing computers on a friday nite at 10. wow. ok anyhow we are at 600 MB btw, I deleted basically everything besides the system folder and server folder. That is all.

~The penguin

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 08 Jan 2002 :  13:46:36
Ok i must apologize for any problems with the hotline server. Everything had been fine until last week when for some reason my router disconnected and shut its self 'off.' That problem has been fixed and is better, however I have also been having electric problems due to that wonderful thing called snow. This has caused breaks in power ocaisionally, discconecting me from the interent...grrrr. Ok just thought I would let you all know.
Oh and another thing with the server:
I have created a 'to be deleted' folder for those of you either too lazy or not enough privleges or what have you. Just place files in here and i will remove them from the server. In terms of space we are looking good and i just purchased a seperate 1GB scsi for the server so we will be fine now. Ok thats all for now.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  20:13:27
We've got a bunch of OS's, but Da Penguin's statement that we have 90% of them is erroneous. There are a ton more, but I don't know how important they really are. We're missing some key ones like 7.1 and 8.0, both of which I have and will UL, but what about 7.1.2 and 7.5 and 7.6? I've got a 7.5 cd somewhere here, but as the version numbers get higher, so do the disk image sizes. The OS 8 cd is a couple hundred megs I think. I could be wrong. In any case, how much of our disk space do we want to devote to this? Also, there is a site that has pretty much every 68k system available. It's the same place that we got A/UX.

{ candyPunk }

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  14:07:52
Yes im sorry about the generalization i made. I was purley saying we have the bulk numbers, not the sub re-writes and updates. If someone ever finds a good deal on a BIG scsi drive please tell me. I want to store all we can. For now, UL what you can. I think exclude 8 and up for the time being since they do take up large amounts of space. Ill search around and see what other OS's I own myself. Thanks to all who have helped once again.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  15:14:46
I'd like to give Da Penguin a HUGE pat on the back for all the time, stress, money, and effort that has gone into this great Hotline server, I am not sure where we would be without you thanks a lot from all of us!

jeremy

Napoleon

Covert Ops

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  07:49:07
I'm thinking that I've got at least 500 meg of vintage stuff, and will have a Mac online in March. We need more space to get this server really rocking!

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  15:36:15
Yeah, space is key. Penguin: interested in building a new Hackintosh? That is, hanging a bunch of drives out the back of your server on a big scsi ribbon? It would be a lot cheaper than the same amount of space in external drives.

{ candyPunk }

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  18:52:19
Hackintosh is a fine idea. All i need are the parts, Scsi ribbon and power extensions. Oh yeah, I need Drives too. Those i guess are the important part. If I can get together all the parts I will certainly go through and hackintosh-ize my 7200. However remember as I do not have a HUGE budget being a student and all. Well that is all for now I hope. Oh and If you come up with any last minute ideas or midnight thoughts, email me. Magicpenguin@mac.com Easier than posting and messign with all that stuff. Ok thanks all.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  20:40:32
Ok, idea time! (what a unique idea!)

We need to post the 68k build of Hotline (which most ppl know has been discontinued) on a http -or- ftp server. I have room to post it on my HTTP server for starters. This problem arose in another forum and i was just wondering what to do for those who have no PPC machine, or n way of transferring to a 68k mac. Tell me what you all think!

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  12:33:16
I think TiMac is going to run an FTP or HTTP server. We'll put it there. But in the mean time, it sounds like a good idea for you to have it on your http server. You can probably find the client other places on the web, but let's make it easy for everyone.

{ candyPunk }

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  16:02:45
Ok, done. Simply head over to 68kmla.torpedobird.com. As soon as TiMac puts his server up its all over to him. Just need a quick fix. Oh and be sure to tell me your favorite banner for the server, or if someone has a good idea mail me! .....Thanks

~The Penguin

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.