68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 Dana (or anyone else) --help! (Debian on Q605)
Author Topic  
tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  23:26:59
So I just got my Debian 3.0 CD and am trying to install it on my Quadra 605. The CPU has been upgraded to a full '040.

I'm using an Apple 8X SCSI CD-ROM drive with the 605.

The Penguin booter loads okay for installation, and I can easily select my keyboard, partition the disk, initialize and activate the swap and root partitions, mount the root partition.

Then I get to the "install kernel and packages" part. I select CD-ROM as my install source, and then after it says "insert CD-ROM" I insert it, and then it says "CD-ROM did not mount successfully."

I've tried it with the CD in the drive prior to running Penguin, and with the CD out of the drive until the installer tells me to put it in (i.e. I was trying to make sure that having the CD mounted in Mac OS prior to booting into Linux wasn't the issue). Doesn't make a difference--no love.

Also, I've looked at the boot messages and the CD-ROM drive is detected by the Linux booter.

I've done a Google search and looked on the various Debian sites, but all I get are vague comments about looking at the boot messages (which I've done already) and typing in a different mount command for the CD-ROM drive--but the installer doesn't have any place to type in such a command.

Could it be that the CD is bad, or am I missing something?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
Q605 w/full '040, 36/1.2G/enet/7.6.1/NetBSD
SE/30 w/IIsi ROM, 20/500/enet/A/UX

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  01:28:47
Well, I found the solution after piecing together bits of archived posts on the debian m68k mailing list. It's a doosy, so for posterity--and for Dana in case she wants to install Debian 3.0 off of CD--here it is:

(1) After mounting root file system but before trying to install the kernel, get to new console: press command-F2

(2) Make a device driver file for the CD-ROM Drive:

cd /dev
mknod sr0 b 11 0
chgrp cdrom sr0
chmod 660 sr0

(note: for whatever reason, when left to its own devices (no pun intended), the installer creates sr2 and sr3 device files but no sr0--weird)

(3) Mount the device:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt

(4) Return to installer console: command-F1

(5) Instead of "CD-ROM," select "mount: previously mounted filesystem"

(6) Proceed, remembering to again select "mount" instead of "CD-ROM" as the install source for subsequent package installations.

Whew!

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
Q605 w/full '040, 36/1.2G/enet/7.6.1/NetBSD
SE/30 w/IIsi ROM, 20/500/enet/A/UXGo to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.