All Forums
 Compact Macs
 more SE questions!
Author Topic  
alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  17:24:23
first of all, can i use a regular 1.44 meg floppy drive in an original SE if i swap the roms from an FDHD SE? (along with the original 800k drive)

and, can i use more than one scsi hard drive internally?

or course, i can't fit 2 floppys and 2 hard drives in the case, but maybe outside the case...

--
Performa 630
LCIII
SE

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  18:28:03
Success! well, at least i got the 2 hard drives working. but not the 1.44 meg floppy. every time i instert a disk (it did this while it was inside the FDHD as well) it says the disk is unreadable and asks to initialize it. ( i should point out that the floppy drive is actually from my LCIII. i took the first one out of the computer, and it appeared to be broken, one of the heads wasnt making contact with the floppy's surface. but after i replace the drive with the one from the LCIII it did the same exact thing, even though i know this drive works). anyway, it asks me to initialize it, one-sided or two-sided. whichever one i choose, it invariably tells me "Initialization Falied". this happened when the drive was inside the FDHD, it does the same thing inside the older SE that i swapped the ROMs into.

--
Performa 630
LCIII
SEGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  20:49:05
quote:

. . . it does the same thing inside the older SE that i swapped the ROMs into.

Did you also swap out the old IWM chip (ASIC) for the SWIM chip (ASIC) which it will need to support the 1.44 Superdrive?.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  20:57:00
quote:

Did you also swap out the old IWM chip (ASIC) for the SWIM chip (ASIC) which it will need to support the 1.44 Superdrive?.

yeah, all 3. on another note, the computer now crashes every 2 minutes. i'm not sure what's responsible for it, but i think i'm gonna forget the second floppy, and put the old roms in, and see if i can just get the 2 hard drives and 1 floppy to work without crashing.

--
Performa 630
LCIII
SEGo to Top of Page

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  19:19:55
no more crashing. i think it had something to do with the new ram i put in it...

--
Performa 630
LCIII
SEGo to Top of Page

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  21:56:56
one of the hard drives burst into flames! one of the ICs on the circuit board just fried. i tried a 160 megs drive, but i havent gotten it to work yet/

--
Performa 630
LCIII
SEGo to Top of Page

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  23:37:20
quote:

one of the hard drives burst into flames! one of the ICs on the circuit board just fried. i tried a 160 megs drive, but i havent gotten it to work yet

That happened to the 250MB drive that was in the LC III I used to convert a PC user to Macs (now he has an iBook!) One of the chips just smoked and burned and died. Luckily, we bought another 250MB off of eBay and we swapped the boards and the repaired drive still works until this day (about a year after)

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4 (main mac)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead, but I still keep it :,( )Go to Top of Page

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  06:28:52
that happened to my IDE to Firewire bridge the first time i plugged it in, too.it took me like 3 weeks to get a replacement (but they did replace it no problem)

--
Performa 630
LCIII
SEGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  12:24:05
quote:

first of all, can i use a regular 1.44 meg floppy drive in an original SE if i swap the roms from an FDHD SE? (along with the original 800k drive)

Yes. I think on some motherboards tho, there is an extra step to make it work right. I'll check Larry Pina's book when I get home.

quote:

and, can i use more than one scsi hard drive internally?

or course, i can't fit 2 floppys and 2 hard drives in the case, but maybe outside the case...

Well... no, not 2 and 2, but 2 and 1 in either combination.

My preferred set up is this:

2 internal floppies, one external floppy, one internal HD and one External in an Apple HDSC case underneath.

You do this by useing a half height floppy in the top bay, and then you mount a half height SCSI HD above it, but slid back, JUST behind the curve of the CRT, aand just under the neck. There's not alot of room there, so all the dangers of working in that dangerous area apply. The benefits can be worth it too, depending on the size of the drives involved.

I have a 500MB disk internal to the SE and a 250 external. 4MB RAM, and 3 Superdrives.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  14:50:39
quote:
I think on some motherboards tho, there is an extra step to make it work right. I'll check Larry Pina's book when I get home.

would be much appreciated

quote:

Well... no, not 2 and 2, but 2 and 1 in either combination.

ok, this is where i beg to differ. i hooked up 2 hard drives and 2 floppy drives. if i had a second 800k drive, i bet everything would work fine. i know you can't fit that many drives inside the case... as i mentioned earlier, both hard drives are on the outside, but they are connected to the internal scsi bus.the second floppy seems to work, but it will say a disk needs to be initialized every time. this happened in both SEs (regular, and FDHD, with the newer ROMs, and with any 1.44 meg drive) that is basically the problem.

Edited by - alpaca2500 on 28 Oct 2002 16:15:06Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  17:29:51
quote:

ok, this is where i beg to differ. i hooked up 2 hard drives and 2 floppy drives. if i had a second 800k drive, i bet everything would work fine. i know you can't fit that many drives inside the case... as i mentioned earlier, both hard drives are on the outside, but they are connected to the internal scsi bus.the second floppy seems to work, but it will say a disk needs to be initialized every time. this happened in both SEs (regular, and FDHD, with the newer ROMs, and with any 1.44 meg drive) that is basically the problem.

I've mounted a SCSI drive vertically off the chassis frame, but I'm not sure if that's what killed it or not...

There is only one SCSI bus on an SE. The port on the back is the same bus as any SCSI devices internally. SCSI ID 7 is usually the Computer, leaving 1-6 available. If you put 3 on the inside, you can put 3 drives on the outside, and still have one floppy drive.

I just prefer to have the 2 floppies on the inside, plus the hard drive because I can just throw the SE into the Carrying Case without care for the other SCSI devices or the external floppy.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  23:45:27
quote:

quote:

one of the hard drives burst into flames! one of the ICs on the circuit board just fried. i tried a 160 megs drive, but i havent gotten it to work yet

That happened to the 250MB drive that was in the LC III I used to convert a PC user to Macs (now he has an iBook!) One of the chips just smoked and burned and died. Luckily, we bought another 250MB off of eBay and we swapped the boards and the repaired drive still works until this day (about a year after)

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4 (main mac)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead, but I still keep it :,( )

Sheesh! I know its slightly off-topic, but did you guys ever hear about the first PSU i got for the Hackintosh (A LC475 i put into a PC case)? This big cloud of smoke came from the back of the PSU as soon as i turned it on, and i couldn't get the smell out of my room for two days!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  17:36:55
let's all talk about the large plumes of smoke which occasionally are emitted by our computers!

if you asked ML5, he'd tell you that my Intrikit Weaver had a problem like this yesterday

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  18:13:35
quote:
if you asked ML5, he'd tell you that my Intrikit Weaver had a problem like this yesterday

Yeah Yeah Yeah, just like scchicago's 7100, right?

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

jag
Starting Member

22 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  15:48:22
You prob shorted the 2nd drive by touching a ground accidentally which caused the chips on the controller of the drive to blow. Been there, done that : )

JAG

http://www.jagshouse.com-classic Mac site Mac goodies for sale. 128, 512, Plus, SE, SE30, Classic, CII, CC, II, IIX, IICX, IICI, IISI, IIVX, IIFX, MacTV, 575, 660AV, 840AV, Q700, Q900, Q950, 6100 - 6500, 7100 - 7600, 8500, 8600, 9500, 9600, iMac G4Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.