All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Apple Presentation Sytem questions
Author Topic  
Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  05:14:22
Ok I've found a good deal on the Apple Presentation System boxed and only 15 USD but am not sure if I should get it.

Are all APS's the same? Can they all do PAL and NTSC? Could I use a US one on an Australian or Eurpean TV? I've found that the Apple US and European TV tuner cards are not interchangeable even though you can use the software to change from NTSC to PAL. Basically it could never quite tune in to the chanels properly, snowy picture and poor sound.

Anyone got any experience with these, how good are they? I'd basically be using it for games VGS Snes 9X a bit of UT and stuff (I'm planning my next project now that my PCC is 99% complete). I noticed it only does 640*480 though and uses an external power supply, any cheap alternatives? 800*600 would be better.

TIA

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  05:56:51
ML5 uses one in Aus alla time, but I don't know if it's a special version.

Head over to fritter and ask blackstealth about tuner's-n-n0n-NTSC TV, IIRC he's got a lot of experience with them on British TV. For Television signals, 640x480 is pretty much all you can get anyway. There isn't really bandwidth to carry any more information on the signal if it is carried on co-ax, certainly not 800 x 600. You'd need to do line doubling kinda tricks like they do on BIG monitors to make anything over 640x480 worthwhile. Composite Video from a VCR feed is probably a little constrained by the 640x480 limit, but the S-Video in from a DVD is probably the only thing that makes those cards obsolete.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  06:33:26
Firstly, I'm not sure if all Presentation Systems are the same. I wouldn't doubt it though.

Secondly, this is pretty damn good quality stuff. For something that i picked up for free, its excellent. Contrary to what i've heard, text at size 12 is easily readable on the TV screen, and images are very very sharp, and the colour is absolutely beautiful. However, you are obviously restricted to a resolution of 640x480 while its hooked up. This baby definately deserves a "Freakin' Awesome" IMHO.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.