All Forums
 PowerBook
 duo280cquestions
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  12:48:31
can I put an internal modem into my duo?

ie:- will one "plug in"

if not is there any point to the serial port on the right?

if the duo has an internal modem the y the serial socket? where would we plug the telephone cable?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
Powerbook Duo 280c, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  23:23:21
I have a Duo 2300... not sure if the 280C is set up the same way. Facing the back of the Duo, the right side behind the leg is the serial port. On the left side is the RJ-11 jack for the internal modem

K

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  01:20:50
My duo has the same port on the left as the right.

No internal modem.

The port on the right(looking from the back of the machine, that port works I have used it for internet access & for file transfer between duo & other macs.

The port on the left I dont know, but the flap has a pic of a phone. (phone with handset on but not sending or receiving data)

Now the working port has a pic of a printer & a modem( a phone handset sending/receiving data)

shaktiman

Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  05:30:30
quote:

No internal modem.

The port on the right(looking from the back of the machine, that port works I have used it for internet access & for file transfer between duo & other macs.

The port on the left I dont know, but the flap has a pic of a phone. (phone with handset on but not sending or receiving data)

Now the working port has a pic of a printer & a modem( a phone handset sending/receiving data)

Sounds like somebody hacked a serial port into the modem slot unless it's an ADB connector hack. Either way, piccies of the inside of your 280 or a scan of the insides would be VERY interesting.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  09:40:30
Open the duo up?

I will do it, but first I want advice on how to go about opening her up. ie:- is thier anything I should know?

shaktiman

Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  10:07:46
quote:

Open the duo up?

I will do it, but first I want advice on how to go about opening her up. ie:- is thier anything I should know?

Yup!

see Duo Cracking site listed in LinksProject(tm),

get proper torx tool,
get anti-static wrist strap,
get service manual - if it's not available online anywhere yet I can email it later, gamba's links were down, lemme know,

wait until you are absolutely confident you understand the process before actually doing it!

be careful! Opening a PB is as scary as *** the first time around, but the recharge cycle is shorter!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  20:24:03
Take a look at this web site and check the port on the Duo that has been coverted to an ADB. Does yours look like this?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gionpeters/HHHH/ForSale/ForSale.html

Kami

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  00:50:59
I pulled apart a Duo 210 this afternoon so i could swap its HD into a HDless PB180, and let me give you one piece of advice: The top cover is a PITA to remove. The procedures to remove it listed in the service manuals don't work. What I did this afternoon was to gently lift up the bit above where the battery normally is, and to then lever the top cover away from the screen with a screwdriver, gently. It'll take some time, but it is possible.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  09:16:26
quote:

quote:

No internal modem.

Sounds like somebody hacked a serial port into the modem slot unless it's an ADB connector hack. Either way, piccies of the inside of your 280 or a scan of the insides would be VERY interesting.

Nope, it sounds like he has a non-US modem which required the external DAA adapter.

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.