All Forums
 Lounge
 BeOS?
Author Topic  
oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  13:33:10
If anyone has BeOS 4.5 or 5 for PPC, please upload it to the Hotline server. I'd really like to try it on my 6400.

Remember, you'll need to make a raw device image with Disk Copy so you get the BFS partition too.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  23:18:43
I second this motion- I've been itching to try Be ever since seing a BeBox on the cover of some computer mag years ago!
:-)
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  03:06:03
I ordered a copy from the US a while ago but because it came with the BeOS bible it ways a ton and I only wanted to pay for ground shipping, it should be here in a week or two. I can't upload it (new job doesn't have cable, barely a single computer! 33.6k at home, gah!) but I can burn a CD and post it to which ever 68kMLA member has cable for them to upload it. The version I will be getting is only 4.5, 5 seemed pretty hard to find for the Mac but if anyone has it I'd really like a copy.

I have a quad 604e card twiddling it's thumbs in OS 9 and just waiting for something to put it to proper use.

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  06:20:46
quote:
I have a quad 604e card twiddling it's thumbs in OS 9 and just waiting for something to put it to proper use.

!! (<-- Thinking of how fast Be will run...)

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  11:11:26
I'd be happy to pay shipping on a burned copy of the OS you're getting, and use the school's T1 line (1 meg/second uploads!) to u/l a copy to someone's server. Just a thought.
Later!
:-)
SpaceBoy <"four 604e's?! Droooolll...">

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  12:31:58
Beos, Geos, Tos oh my gosh, I am confused.

Geos & Tos are said to be similar, so if Beos is similar then I would like to try it.

Geos was an os for c64 or it may have been just the gui like gem is to tos.

Does this go like finder is the gui & apple os is the actual os?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
Powerbook Duo 280c, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  16:41:28
My schools T1 line is ALWAYS in use! It is really slow at times! Sometimes slower than dial-up! Also computer use is CLOSELY guarded! I wouldn't ba able to upload anything! Those of you who can get away with such things as uploading large files at school are lucky! I wish i could do that! You get your computer privileges revoked if you get caught doing anything not school related over here.

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  16:51:33
That happened when I was in high school too, it never quite stopped me, of course...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  17:43:06
heh. my school gets two cable internet nodes! it's FAST, but they don't give us access to anything. oh well. it takes me 2-3 minutes each time I log on to get around all the blocks, because windows 2000 is full of gaping holes, because we can access all drives from the COMMAND PROMPT! you can do all kinds of stuff from there!)

MUAHAHAHAH!

THNX
"I like tin foil on my toast ship! DUUUAAAAH!"

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  17:59:05
heh, your sysadmins do not know how to use active directory server. I work in the IT department at my school, and they have blocked everything that lets you do anything but work. :) We also have T1 access, and thus everything is very fast compared to cable. Here is a trick for you: if they have disabled the desktop control panel, download a graphic that you want for a desktop pattern, open it in M$ paint, and choose from the file menu, use this as your desktop background or summat. you can also go to your desktop, press print screen, open paint, and go edit --> paste and voila, you have a piccie of your desktop in paint. the fun thing to do is to press print screen when you have an instance of the program thatyou are using minimized in the taskbar. what you do is to set it as the desktop, grab the start bar and drag it down until it is hidden from view then fire up internet exploder and deo some serious browsing. when your teacher walks by minimize it, and it looks like you are using the recommended program :)
have phun
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2002 :  16:37:52
I found the latest version of BeOS for PPC at http://store.yahoo.com/purplus/beospro503cd.html

Too bad I don't have the money to buy it.

Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2002 :  19:28:42
I had BEOS 5 running on my G3/8600 for a while (I don't own a copy, but a friend of mine does) and it was pretty cool. It was excellent on the internet - it kinda made me feel like I was sitting behind a cable connection instead of the 56k modem! I didn't like the fact that there is not too much software around for it, although there *may* be more now. And I hated the fact that it couldn't use two graphics cards and therefore two screens, the multiple 'screen' thing was pretty coll though. I did like running BEOS on my PC - it made it more like a Mac!

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2002 :  21:01:25
Whaddya all think of the Be Hardware, ie the BeBox?
sorto a hybrid between the PC and Mac. I wonder if OS9 would run on that badazzmofo.
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2002 :  21:14:13
quote:
I don't own a copy, but a friend of mine does

See if you can't borrow it and upload it to the HL server.

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2002 :  22:55:52
i could probably get my hands on the CD again, but the upload would choke on my 56k connection...

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 02 Nov 2002 :  23:55:13
quote:

i could probably get my hands on the CD again, but the upload would choke on my 56k connection...

68k ParaMedic

Thats what friends with cable are for...

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 03 Nov 2002 :  02:23:28
I'll have my vopy of BeOS 4.5 PPC before the end of the month, hopefully in 2 weeks time. I can't remember who I was going to post it to for uploading but we can get it sorted out when it arrives.

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 03 Nov 2002 :  02:35:45
quote:

Thats what friends with cable are for...

well lemme see if I can get the CD and we'll take it from there.....

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 03 Nov 2002 :  07:49:35
quote:

OK, heres what you do. Hotline allows to resume downloads if they are
cancelled or anything. What you have to do is begin uploading before
you go to bed and stop it whenever is convienient the next day.
Thats how i do things with my dial-up connection. When you upload try and get the CD image to be an ISO... or something that'll burn on Toast on 68k. I would very much prefer an ISO image for anybody that will be uploading a CD of BeOS Pro. Many thanks if you do. I do not have a PPC especially one with a burner. I could burn an ISO in Linux or Windows and possibly a Toast image in BasiliskII under Windows. Haven't really tried this though.

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 03 Nov 2002 :  08:32:48
quote:
When you upload try and get the CD image to be an ISO

DO NOT DO THAT! IT WILL CORRUPT THE IMAGE!

AFAIK, the BeOS install CD has a Mac partition, with the booter and Mac utilities, and a BFS partition with the BeOS itself. You must make a raw device image so that the CD burned from the image will be an exact binary copy, or the BFS partition will be corrupted. That's what happened with all the BeOS images floating around Hotline; they all have the Mac partition but not the BFS partition.

Here's how to image a CD like this correctly. Download and install the Discribe demo. Open the software. Choose CD/DVD copy. Select your CD drive as source. Insert the BeOS CD when prompted. Then select "Write Physical Image..." from the Utilities menu. When the image is saved, gnuzip it and upload it to the HL server.

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Nov 2002 :  18:39:17
quote:

Whaddya all think of the Be Hardware, ie the BeBox?
sorto a hybrid between the PC and Mac. I wonder if OS9 would run on that badazzmofo.
CCC

I think that there'd be a ROM issue.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 03 Nov 2002 :  19:28:00
Be Hardware is EXTREMELY cool and well done for its class/time of being and whatnot, the OS is also VERY fast and fun. If someone can get a full version CD and wahtnot, that would be VERY cool.

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2002 :  08:09:01
quote:
I think that there'd be a ROM issue.

Well, if Mac on Linux can run MacOS on some PPC-based Amigas, then why shouldn't SheepShaver be able to do the same on a BeBox?

quote:
Be Hardware is EXTREMELY cool and well done for its class/time of being

IIRC, dual 603e processors. There was a quad-processor model planned, and I think some still exist, but it was never officially released.

pracht

Estonia
66 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2002 :  09:13:32
Does BeOS runs on lc 475 with 8Mb of RAM or on Basilisk?

http://www.hot.ee/macgames/Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2002 :  10:26:59
He had an interesting problem when I was in high school with the internet line. We had a mutichannel ISDN, but T1 bandwidth.

I was a "temporary" worker that had a full time job in the summers upgradeing systems and such, but during the year I'd pick up a few days here and there, and I'd actually helped set up the district wide network when it was first installed, so I was very familiar with it. We mostly had Macs too.

Well, in high school, I was on the newspaper (editor, Graphic Arts, Layout, etc) and myself and the rest of the crew liked to get QuickTime streams of BBCworld and NPR... At the same time, usually with CNN on the TV, and a CD in the LC 575 we made the freshmen use, and for the ColorOne Scanner. Drove the teacher nuts lemme tell you...

Well, I was also on the swim team, which meant 5:30am practices, then breakfast, and by 7:10 I was in the newspaper lab, working on the paper again.

The router and hub/switch setup in the building wasn't the smartest thing... it allocated bandwidth on a first come/first served basis... so as I fired up the iMacs and other Newspaper system one frioday morning... I sucked up the bandwidth completely, leaving next to nothing for the rest of the building. Add to that the fact that I started printing to 4 networked laser printers because I was printing the proofs before going to press, and I grabbed internal dedication too.

this was ALSO the end of a marking period, and at 1030 or so when most of the students left (half day) and the teachers started to do grades... well... they were having a HECK of a time let me tell you.

By 11:00, our tech guru was up in our lab seeing what the hel we were doing... We were only allowed one network stream after that.

~MarchieGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2002 :  11:57:38
quote:
Does BeOS runs on lc 475 with 8Mb of RAM or on Basilisk?

No, it requires a Mac with a 603 or better processor.

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2002 :  14:34:08
If anyone here has fast internet access, I've found BeOS 4.5 on the OS6 Carracho server (do a Tracker-Tracker server search for BeOS). Would somebody please upload it to the HL server? I would, but I only have dial-up.

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  03:53:46
BeOS 4.5 is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally after a long wait my copy of BeOS 4.5 (Intel and PPC) along with the BeOS bible arrived last night. I'm going to try and set up a spare computer at the weekend to try it out. My PCC would be ideal but I need to finish work on the 3.3 v Regulator to use my 6360 board, the 6200 won't hack it. Hoever the Quad 604 is what this is intended for!!

Someone said they could upload it if I burnt them a copy (need more CD's, I'll get some at the weekend). I can't remember who it was who said they would do it. Anyone who can respond to this and I'll arrange to post it to you. Oh just checked, looks like it was SpaceBoy

Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  02:42:32
Similarly, I have BEOS 4.5 on CD (Dual format Intel & PPC) and also the bible.

I've got a 2gb connection, if someones got the server space..

Cheers

Steve/Jobf

=====
Lisa 2, LC475, PB145b, PB160, PB540c, IIsi.Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  04:57:44
pick me pick me!

I have PLENTY of server space if you would like to upload it to my server.

Hotline to: 68khotline.no-ip.org

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  06:45:38
DaPenguin:

OK cool. Its at my folks house so I'll pick it up over the weekend.

I've never tried it on a PPC. I originally bought it when it was new and ran it on an Intel machine, because at that point I only had 68k macs. I've got a 4400 now, so I'll have to try it out on that.

Cheers

Steve/Jobf

=====

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2002 :  07:32:17
quote:

DO NOT DO THAT! IT WILL CORRUPT THE IMAGE!

AFAIK, the BeOS install CD has a Mac partition, with the booter and Mac utilities, and a BFS partition with the BeOS itself. You must make a raw device image so that the CD burned from the image will be an exact binary copy, or the BFS partition will be corrupted. That's what happened with all the BeOS images floating around Hotline; they all have the Mac partition but not the BFS partition.

Here's how to image a CD like this correctly. Download and install the Discribe demo. Open the software. Choose CD/DVD copy. Select your CD drive as source. Insert the BeOS CD when prompted. Then select "Write Physical Image..." from the Utilities menu. When the image is saved, gnuzip it and upload it to the HL server.

OK, I have the 4.5 CD ready to go. However, my Powermac doesn't have a cd writer. Whats the best software on the Windows platform to use??

Cheers

Steve/Jobf

=====

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2002 :  13:16:51
To make just an image, you will not need a writer. Any CD Drive is able to make an image, faster the CD drive, faster the image

~The Penguin

| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2002 :  02:13:57
quote:
To make just an image, you will not need a writer. Any CD Drive is able to make an image, faster the CD drive, faster the image

Doh, wot was I thinking!!

Even so, doesn't get over the fact that Discribe needs 9 or X, and my 4400 runs 8.6. Or the fact that the PM's only connection to the outside world is via a 56k modem.

In short, I have to do this on a PC at work, where the fat pipe is

So what tool should I use?

Cheers

Steve/Jobf

=====

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2002 :  07:17:57
ooOOoo... the BeOS runs on my PM7300 very well... i can't say exactly where it came from... and I also wouldn't be able to mail or upload it anywhere

but it runs schweet I'll connect to the internet with BeOS in the afternoon

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.